• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best English fast bowler since Botham/Willis?

Who is the best English quick since Willis/Botham?

• Jimmy Anderson

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Darren Gough

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Angus Fraser

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Andrew Flintoff

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Andy Caddick

• Simon Jones

• Steve Harmison

• Matthew Hoggard

• Stuart Broad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Not exactly a stellar list but with in light of Anderson's superb displays over the past few years I'd be keen to see who you all rank as the best English quick since Botham and Willis.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would have been Fraser without the hip injury that ruined his career, still had a good one despite it but lost at least a yard after it. It probably is Anderson, had a poor start and was handled very badly but since replacing Hoggard in NZ has been easily the best pace bowler in the side and has so much control now which others have never really had. Jimmy will probably end up with over 400 test victims and with luck with fitness may yet get to 500, means he will go down as a great English bowler at the end of his career, can't say anyone else in last 30 years has been great.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Always liked Darren Gough, bowled a bit like a pint sized Bond. But really it has to be Anderson.

watson

Banned
No much between Gough and Anderson. However, I reckon that if Simon Jones had remained injury free then he would have topped both of them.

King Pietersen

International Captain
It's Jimmy for me. Not only does he have over 500 international wickets at under 30 a piece, but his control of the conventionally and reverse swinging ball is magnificent to watch. The way he's developed from an erratic, quick swing bowler, to arguably the finest bowler in the world is just superb. Bar a serious, career ending injury he'll take more Test wickets than any England bowler in history, and he's already leading in ODi's; so statistically he's up there with the very best England bowlers of all-time. What a man.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Jimmeh.

I'm so happy he's had the career he's had as I was one of the few that rated him back in 2006/07.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jimmeh clearly, but for injury Fraser, Tremlett, Headley or Jones could have bettered him. Particularly Gus, his injury woes were stupid and mis-diagnosed.

Obviously Neil Mallender had a better average then the lot of 'em:ph34r:

Last edited:

fredfertang

I suppose it must be the Burnley Express, but he's only marginally better than Glen Chapple, who has to be the most criminally under selected quick in history - in addition I'm always amazed how quickly folk have forgotten how good Steve Harmison was in the early to mid noughties

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I loved Gus but wasn't he very reliant on conditions? If the ball didn't move off the deck he didn't look all that threatening.

I suppose thats what sets Jimmy apart now, he's shown himself to be a wicket taking threat in all conditions.

grecian

I loved Gus but wasn't he very reliant on conditions? If the ball didn't move off the deck he didn't look all that threatening.

I suppose thats what sets Jimmy apart now, he's shown himself to be a wicket taking threat in all conditions.
Nah, not early in his career, he had McGrath like accuracy, and there was always steep bounce, which meant at his best he was always threatening.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Shame we never saw the best of Simon Jones, he could've been great.

Probably Anderson.

grecian

Someone voted for Caddick, that's what you get for not having a joke option I guess......