• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5/42 or 42/5...who would u choose

Next man in

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Nathan Astle

• Inzamam Ul Haq

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Nasser Hussain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jaques Kallis

• Khaled Mahmud :P

• Harshan Tillekaratne

• Adam Gilchrist

• Vangipurappu Venkata Sai Laxman

• Graham Thorpe

• Mahela Jayawardene

• Total voters

deeps

International 12th Man
If your team was 5/42, or 42/5,whichever u want.... Who would u want to be the next batsman walking in.....in a test match

I would personally want Steve Waugh walking in

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I picked Steve Waugh as well, but Dravid and Laxman after that last test provided some food for thought.

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
A few years ago, I'd have picked Waugh. Now, I'm going with Dravid.

They are both excellent choices and very similar players; the only difference is Dravid is in his prime just like Waugh was a few years ago.

krkode

State Captain
I too picked Steve Waugh, but if there were more options I would've considered Gilchrist.

I haven't ever seen an Indian batsman take it up from a situation like 42/5.

Dravid and Laxman have crafted some sensational comebacks, but at 42/5 you're out of batsmen and onto the tail - somewhat unreliable for India.

And if it were an ODI game - Mike Bevan! :D

Eclipse

International Debutant
I picked S Waugh.

I reckon Gilchrist should have been in that list he is brillinat in situations were the pressure is on and has probably saved Australia's skin more than any player since he has been in the Australian team.

iamdavid

International Debutant
This poll is rather pointless as none of these players (bar Muhmud) would ever be found batting at number 7 or 8 & would therefore never face this situation.

But of the players you name I would choose Steve Waugh , he's just performed well under pressure so many times before.

deeps

International 12th Man
can a moderator plz change the post,and add a few more names,such as adam gilchrist and a few others that u can think off,that could b considered....Also, plz add an "other- who?" option as well

This is for test matches and so didn't include bevan....but definately in an odi,i would pick bevan

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If my team had any of them (except Mahmud) batting at 7, I'd be asking the top order how they could bat so badly!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
This poll is rather pointless as none of these players (bar Muhmud) would ever be found batting at number 7 or 8 & would therefore never face this situation.

But of the players you name I would choose Steve Waugh , he's just performed well under pressure so many times before.
Ditto this for me.
I am assuming we're talking about Test-matches because there can surely be no disputing who anyone would crave in an ODI, and his name has been mentioned.

deeps

International 12th Man
deeps said:
If your team was 5/42, or 42/5,whichever u want.... Who would u want to be the next batsman walking in.....in a test match
it says 'in a test match'

Bazza

International 12th Man
Everyone has picked Steve Waugh, who was recently shown to have rarely contributed to Australia's cause in a crisis.

Brian Lara (who got my vote) is the most likely to make a score in that situation, but you would also probably still lose anyway, so maybe that's a bad omen!

Ian Botham?

Eclipse

International Debutant
halsey said:
Or it could simply backfire, and he gets caught at third-man first ball:P
yeah but in pressure situation's he almost always come's off.

Besides the time's he has come in under pressue he usualy take's a bit longer to get set.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steve Waugh. He just has that streetfighter instinct, and getting his wicket is like prizing a pork chop off a ravenous dog.

But seeing that he will no longer be an option in about two weeks from now, I would probably go for Dravid.