• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you had to pick one player...

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
Jacques Kallis.
Closely followed by Graeme Smith.
Smith :O

Smith's flaws are numerous , just short of a length outside of stump often leaves him looking clueless , fortunately for him he has only really come up against one side capable of exploiting this weakness :D .

IMO he is the best player off his pads in the world , and the tendancy of the English , Bangladeshi & West Indian attacks to feed this strength has resulted in some rather flattering carear figures so far , I do think he can iron out his flaws , certainly has time on his side & he is a pretty good captain (except the Klusener comments , he should've shut up then).

I find it rather contradictory that you seem so adament about pointing out the quality of bowling against which a player has scored his runs & then using this as criteria when assesing a players ability (see Matthew Hayden) , yet you seem to rate Smith so highly.
He is good to watch , but you must admit that England bowled rubbish to him in the first two tests of last summer , when they finally found that off stump line his runs dried up completely (albeit with a little luck , treding on his stumps , etc) , likewise the Windies bowled at his pads in the 1st test & seemed befuddled as to why they couldnt dismiss him , I assume that Dillon & co will also realise the place to bowl to him & likewise his runs will dry up.

Craig

World Traveller
Despite it being proven legal? They have proven that correct at the Univeristy of Western Australia and in some place in Hong Kong.

I expect Rik's response in 5....4....3.....

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Hrmm, cos #1 he does what he is supposed to, and he does it damn well.
#2 his action has been cleard, so enough bitching about it.
#3 there are PLENTY of other batmen who are great, but only a handful of truly great spinenrs and Muralitharan falls in that category.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I expect Rik's response in 5....4....3.....
I believe he's away so I'll do it for him.

No matter how bad it looks, there is no illegality in Murali's action.

The danger is that "able-bodied" bowlers now copy it...

mate have you seen his doosra. he bowls that with a bloody straight arm. no bend in the elbow. i think murali is bulls****ing about that elbow thing

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
pontingrulz said:
mate have you seen his doosra. he bowls that with a bloody straight arm. no bend in the elbow. i think murali is bulls****ing about that elbow thing
Yep, clearly. Find the pictorial evidence...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Smith :O

Smith's flaws are numerous , just short of a length outside of stump often leaves him looking clueless , fortunately for him he has only really come up against one side capable of exploiting this weakness :D .

IMO he is the best player off his pads in the world , and the tendancy of the English , Bangladeshi & West Indian attacks to feed this strength has resulted in some rather flattering carear figures so far , I do think he can iron out his flaws , certainly has time on his side & he is a pretty good captain (except the Klusener comments , he should've shut up then).

I find it rather contradictory that you seem so adament about pointing out the quality of bowling against which a player has scored his runs & then using this as criteria when assesing a players ability (see Matthew Hayden) , yet you seem to rate Smith so highly.
He is good to watch , but you must admit that England bowled rubbish to him in the first two tests of last summer , when they finally found that off stump line his runs dried up completely (albeit with a little luck , treding on his stumps , etc) , likewise the Windies bowled at his pads in the 1st test & seemed befuddled as to why they couldnt dismiss him , I assume that Dillon & co will also realise the place to bowl to him & likewise his runs will dry up.
I don't believe Edwards, Sanford and Drakes are capable of doing so for very long. Nor Collymore when he comes back.
I doubt he will have the ill-luck of the Third and Fifth Tests last summer, so I hope his scoring will continue.
I deride Matthew Hayden as being incapable of scoring runs when the ball is moving around, especially through the air, at medium-fast or quicker.
This is entirely different to Graeme Smith's inability to score especially heavily when the ball is not bowled at his pads, which there is some evidence is changing fast.
How many times has Smith been dismissed chasing balls he should have left? I didn't see any of the cricket last winter so if anyone did, some feedback would be appreciated.

the chuckers law Law 24.2: "For a delivery to be fair, the ball must be bowled and not thrown. If either umpire is not entirely satisfied with the absolute fairness of a delivery in this respect, he shall call and signal 'no ball' instantly upon delivery. and therefore he is a chucker as he has been alled for chucking many times

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the rule was that, this would mean that the second an Umpire decided on his whim that an action looked suspect, with the sole aid of his eye, 30 yards away, then the bowler is a chucker.
Fortunately the rule extends beyond that, explaining what is and what isn't a throw. It is not up to the Umpire to decide.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
pontingrulz said:
hes pictorial evidence shgowing that he is a chucker and ill get back to you on the other one
That is NOT pictorial evidence that he is a chucker at all - that is pictorial evidence that Muarali's arm is bent before it reaches the vertical.

Now, if you are actually involved in an investigation of Murali's action, presumably for or on behalf of the ICC or the Sri Lankan cricket board, tell us more.

If not, as Richard said, read law 24.3

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not half as good as Vasbert Drakes' when preparing to face the delivery.
Noticed that 4 da 1st time 2day.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
I don't believe Edwards, Sanford and Drakes are capable of doing so for very long. Nor Collymore when he comes back.
I agree, but you've barely seen Edwards, Drakes and Collymore and you've never seen Sanford. Therefore it is not for you to say.

However, if they dismiss him early, they won't have to show a capability to do it for very long will they?