• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sky Commentary Team pick their team of the "Noughties"

watson

Banned
The various members of the Sky Commentary Team pick their respective teams of the "Noughties" with some interesting results: Cricket TEST Team of the Decade Sky Sports - YouTube

Actually like Shaun Pollock's team the best;

01. Graeme Smith
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Dale Steyn
10. Muttiah Muralitheran
11. Glenn McGrath

Note to some of the commentators: Dravid batted at No.1 on 3 occasions and averaged 24. He also batted 14 times at No.2 and averaged 46.

Days of Grace

International Captain
The various members of the Sky Commentary Team pick their respective teams of the "Noughties" with some interesting results: Cricket TEST Team of the Decade Sky Sports - YouTube

01. Graeme Smith
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Dale Steyn
10. Muttiah Muralitheran
11. Glenn McGrath

Note to some of the commentators: Dravid batted at No.1 on 3 occasions and averaged 24. He also batted 14 times at No.2 and averaged 46.

I wouldn't change that team too much. I would probably bring in Flintoff as a stronger third seamer and then kick out Tendulkar because he wasn't as good in the noughties as either Lara or Kallis.

watson

Banned
I wouldn't change that team too much. I would probably bring in Flintoff as a stronger third seamer and then kick out Tendulkar because he wasn't as good in the noughties as either Lara or Kallis.
Michael Atherton picked Flintoff instead of Kallis because with two spinners in the side he wanted the "bowling allrounder";

01. Verender Sehwag
02. Sanath Jayasuriyah
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Andrew Flintoff
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Zaheer Khan
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Atherton was also a "noughties " purist in that he wanted players who had scored lots of runs or taken lots of wickets during that decade. Consequently, the likes of Donald and Wasim Akram were excluded.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Michael Atherton picked Flintoff instead of Kallis because with two spinners in the side he wanted the "bowling allrounder";

01. Verender Sehwag
02. Sanath Jayasuriyah
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Andrew Flintoff
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Zaheer Khan
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Atherton was also a "noughties " purist in that he wanted players who had scored lots of runs or taken lots of wickets during that decade. Consequently, the likes of Donald and Wasim Akram were excluded.
Jayasuriya, Flintoff and Khan are such rubbish selections it isn't even funny

bagapath

International Captain
since akram and donald are "technically" available, I like david gower's team the best

smith (c)
sehwag
ponting
lara
tendulkar
kallis
gilchrist (wk)
akram
warne
donald
mcgrath

it has the feel of an ATG XI; in fact if you slightly upgrade the openers, it is an ATG XI. the middle order and the bowling attack can not be bettered.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

01. Graeme Smith
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Dale Steyn
10. Muttiah Muralitheran
11. Glenn McGrath
Same, but I would've replaced Steyn and brought in Pollock

He showed quite a few of them wrong 18 months later in England, when he scored two centuries opening.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can semi-understand Flintoff but he really shouldn't be batting ahead of Gilchrist.

Correct about the other two though

watson

Banned
Well they wouldn't be my choices either - but all 3 players were still class acts, especially Zaheer. Jayasuriya and Flintoff were both irrestistible when on-song. Hardly 'rubbish selections'.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

01. Graeme Smith
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Dale Steyn
10. Muttiah Muralitheran
11. Glenn McGrath

Yeah, that's a good one. Only change I would make is himself in for Steyn, with Smith or Sehwag being a coin flip.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff over Kallis(?), because of the afore mentioned two spinners included, and quite frankly both spinners have to play i this team. Steyn and Mcgrath would be lethel in combination.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand the Flintoff love. If I wanted another all rounder instead of/as well as Kallis to balance the two spinners I'd go with Chris Cairns who averaged 45/29 in the 2000s. That said I'd still go with Pollock's team

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Can't believe Ntini played the 5th most amount of tests during the noughties with 97. What a beast. Not that I'd put him in my team, I've just kind of forgotten him since his last test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, both Murali and Warne have to make this side.

Don't understand how Flintoff can even be mentioned. If another seamer is desired, may as well just make it a 5 man attack.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the various viewpoints in the video. I think there is somewhat of a homogeneity to the views on CW and perhaps these are the 'right' views but there are certainly different (a lot of members will read this as "wrong") way to look at things.