Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Australian Cricket’s Governance/Development/Expectations/Future

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    I think making more batting friendly pitches in the SS might help, players are being brought into an environment where a half century can be matchwinning, it's not good enough, bowlers need to learn to toil a little, and batsmen need to learn how to get on top and stay on top, a few more draws would be a small price to pay for the overall batting improvement.
    It's kind of weird though, cause you'd think the other side of the coin would be the pitches should have fine-tuned their techniques to cope in difficult batting conditions, yet most of them suck at facing the moving ball too.

School Boy/Girl Captain Backlash's Avatar
    Problems facing Australian cricket | Cricket Video | Sporting Life

Gideon Haigh discussing what he thinks is wrong Australian Cricket.

Someone tell him he's wrong. There's nothing wrong with Australian Cricket clearly. It'll all just work out for itself somehow.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    It's kind of weird though, cause you'd think the other side of the coin would be the pitches should have fine-tuned their techniques to cope in difficult batting conditions, yet most of them suck at facing the moving ball too.
    There was a good article I read once - it compared early 1900s players who learned their cricket on the easy batting pitches of Cambridge and Oxford against the blokes who went on to the more bowler friendly pro circuit during their developmental career. The batsman who learned to bat on roads went on to deal with the bowler friendly conditions much better than the players who just went straight in. This study did not control for the fact that perhaps the more talented players went to cambridge and Oxford to begin with - but if its conclusions are correct then you need long periods at the crease, preferrably a friendly crease, to learn.
    Flem274* likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Thanks Hurricane, I guess you need to learn how to bat long consistently first, then adjust your technique to tougher conditions later, that's why Ponting and Hussey did well at the back end of the shield season.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    You just need to make the pitches as fair as possible, or at least make them balance each other out over the course of a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    He's looked ****ing terrible at test cricket.

Khawaja and Flynn are clones. We could bicker about whose more "talented" all day (we won't) but they are very similar players and they suck in similar ways. They even share a deep and abiding love of getting to 40 and getting out.

Until either one gets a front foot drive they won't do anything unless they develop ridiculous patience (which Flynn has) and know where their off stump is against inswingers (which neither know).

Granted, the last time I saw Khawaja was in 2011.
    What do you think now Flem? His technique looked poor against Swann but he found a way (smash him - literally), he also played the quicks pretty well I thought, even if Broad was feeding him a fair bit. The first innings was disgraceful, but I think the second dig was pretty impressive, maybe he has toughened up a bit.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I saw jack all of Australia batting in the second test. Had usually either gone to bed or been doing other stuff. If he plays in the next test I'll try and catch him.

I don't think he is entirely incapable. As I said, his technique (the last I saw it) is comparable to Daniel Flynn which limits his stroke play and both also share a bad habit of throwing away 40s. I'm not confident either have the mental fortitude to get the most out of their limited options and to be honest, front foot offside is a pretty important scoring area. I can't remember the last world class batsman who had no front foot offside game. All the bowler needs to do is keep it pitched up outside off and they can't deal with it because they're not set up to play those shots very well. I guess we'll see over the coming series if Khawaja has added to his scoring options.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar

Well, there has to be a balance.. If the pitches are too bowler friendly, then batsmen start aiming for the match turning 30s to 60s instead of trying to rough it out for prolonged periods.. It is almost as if, in those conditions, batsmen suddenly feel satisfied having gotten to a 30 or a 40 or a 50 and then start looking at any other runs they can get as a bonus, because they knwo that the chances are that the opposition batsmen won't even get these runs.. It is always a difficult situation and something that cannot be addressed in terms of preparing one kind of wicket that gives a chance to everyone. That simply does not exist. What one has to do, is to try and balance out the types of wickets over a season, so you know that if a Bailey, for instance, is good enough to score the match turning 40 or 60 on a green top, you can also see if he has it in him to be dogged and pile on the runs on a flatbed..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    If you're batting on a greentop where the ball is seaming around then you're as well just trying to blast your way to a score, having a watertight defensive technique will only get you so far. Blasting a few boundaries might even get the bowler to shorten his length the the 'just too short to get the edge' length.

If you just keep looking to block good length balls eventually you'll get one that you nick to the cordon or miss entirely. So ridiculously bowling friendly pitches don't necessarily encourage a sound defensive technique. Particularly as in a low scoring game getting 60 or 70 might be a match winning innings.

edit: not to mention that batting for hours at a time and racking up big scores is arguably more about mental strength than technical excellence. If you're playing on greentops then you don't really get a chance to develop the mental side of the game and adjust to the demands of facing up to a bowler when you've already been out there for 4 hours.
    Last edited by Furball; 22-07-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Media really starting to turn the heat up on Cricket Australia and we're only 2 games into the money marathon.

It's pretty amazing that Cricket Australia thinks it can get away with two pumping's by England in 6 months and somehow get away with it and I think it's safe to say the losses won't just end this summer, many years to come yet. Just how long does Cricket Australia thinks it can get away with providing an inferior product to its customers? Given the state of Australian first-class cricket and the whole system, Cricket Australia better hope its customers are far more loyal (outside the Ashes) than Cricket Australia where to serving Cricket in this country.

Watching Cricket Australia crash and burn will be the only enjoyment I'll get out of the death of Australian Cricket this summer.

But let me guess, it's all just a cycle right, fellas?

Well, I must say, it probably is a cycle, even 2 ashes losses in a row won't be enough to put people off the game forever IMO, sorry, but I really don't think this is the end, it's another step towards it maybe, but I think the loyalty runs a little deeper.

Well, I must say, it probably is a cycle, even 2 ashes losses in a row won't be enough to put people off the game forever IMO, sorry, but I really don't think this is the end, it's another step towards it maybe, but I think the loyalty runs a little deeper.
    This summer is going to be one giant step toward it that's for sure.

What about 10-0 then, Max? The TV ratings dropped big time between the 1st and 2nd Tests, hopefully they continue to free fall.

Does the loyalty run as deep as you think though? When it comes to Cricket I don't think so, we'll soon find out though this summer.

We wont lose 5 zip at home but we could go into Brisbane on a 9 zip losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    This summer is going to be one giant step toward it that's for sure.

What about 10-0 then, Max? The TV ratings dropped big time between the 1st and 2nd Tests, hopefully they continue to free fall.

Does the loyalty run as deep as you think though? When it comes to Cricket I don't think so, we'll soon find out though this summer.
    10 nil would be so bad, but by about 7 nil I think people would just try to ride it out and hope for a renewal. Remember most tickets have already been bought, my 4th day at Adelaide isn't looking so good now, but I'll still go, watching Australia lose is better than not watching at all IMO. Neither of us speak for all Aussie cricket fans, so like you say, we'll just have to wait and see, 10 nil hasn't happened yet though (not that I'm saying it won't).

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    We wont lose 5 zip at home but we could go into Brisbane on a 9 zip losing streak.
    How uplifting. Great build up that will be for this summer of cricket, worst losing streak in 136 years and first ever 5 series whitewash, but come along anyway to see if we don't get whitewashed again! Come on, mate!!! Yes, 0-4 or 0-3 is much better. I'm sure 0-7 in 6 months won't do any damage to the Test Cricket and the Ashes brand in Australia going forward.

Losing as many Ashes series and in the shortest possible time... very interesting strategy from Australia Cricket to get the next generation interested in Test Cricket. Lets see how it works out for them.

10 nil would be so bad, but by about 7 nil I think people would just try to ride it out and hope for a renewal. Remember most tickets have already been bought, my 4th day at Adelaide isn't looking so good now, but I'll still go, watching Australia lose is better than not watching at all IMO. Neither of us speak for all Aussie cricket fans, so like you say, we'll just have to wait and see, 10 nil hasn't happened yet though (not that I'm saying it won't).
    I almost feel sorry for those poor souls who just went along with the hype and just bought tickets without thinking, but then I remember that by buying tickets they are therefore supporting the way Cricket Australia do things and then all my sympathy goes away.

They may have fooled a lot of people to get tickets but TV ratings are a different story.

Good for you Max if getting hammered is better than not watching at all but I don't really feel up to supporting a team where the people who run it main interests is not doing what's best for that team or trying their best to win games, but is their bottom line instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information