• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mathew Sinclair retires

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Mathew Sinclair: Black Cap On Dole Queue | Stuff.co.nz

The glorious life of an FC cricketer in New Zealand. 18 years of service earning so little money that even the UB seems attractive by comparison.

Anyway, well done Skip. A superb FC career and an excellent servant of the game in this country. Had he been a little less loyal to his home country, he might've left years ago to take up more lucrative domestic offers in SA and/or England. The fact that he didn't shows what a classy guy he is.

Flem274*

123/5
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Still better than all the current ****s barring Taylor obv.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Mathew Sinclair: Black Cap On Dole Queue | Stuff.co.nz

The glorious life of an FC cricketer in New Zealand. 18 years of service earning so little money that even the UB seems attractive by comparison.
That's right - you earn more being on the dole for 12 months than you do playing first class cricket for 6 months. Really just blows the mind.

Was amazing for me personally when Skippy agreed to start a blog on Cricket Web. I've chatted to him many times and he's a great bloke.

BeeGee

International Captain
That's right - you earn more being on the dole for 12 months than you do playing first class cricket for 6 months. Really just blows the mind.

Was amazing for me personally when Skippy agreed to start a blog on Cricket Web. I've chatted to him many times and he's a great bloke.
Any chance he could provide more content to cricket web now he's retired?

Could bung him a few bucks under the table as an incentive. :ph34r:

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Any chance he could provide more content to cricket web now he's retired?

Could bung him a few bucks under the table as an incentive. :ph34r:
I am actually working towards trying to get another cricketer to blog on the site. Time will tell how successful I'll be :)

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Fantastic cricketer on his day. For what ever reason could never quite could nail the consistancy.
I think Sinclair is just being extravagent saying he is going on the dole, trying to give one last barb to NZC (though if he ever finishes his book I expect there will be a few more), given the timing one must presume he was not happy with his CD ranking, and pulled the plug. Seams the same thing happens with Chris Martin, pity both CD & NZ could not flag it earlier so they could retire with grace (and send off matches) in March/April.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Congratulations on a great career Skippy! Such a stylish and elegant player in full flight. I think I first saw his name when he was batting no3 in the under 19 side captained by Craig McMillan that won a 'test' in Australia. The article mentioned that Sinclair and McMillan were NZ's best batsmen (others in the team included Matthew Bell, Chris Gaffeney, Stephen Lynch & Hamish Barton), so I kept an eye on his progress.

He quickly started scoring prolifically for CD & it seemed inevitable he'd have a long NZ career. It was a shame he never really secured a permanent spot, but he played some terrific innings and that brilliant outfield catch to get Hayden will live long in the memory.

I remember reading he was working on a book, I hope he publishes it one day. I imagine he'd have a fairly unique take on NZ cricket over the last 15 years.

Thanks for the memories.