• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest ODI performance ever?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Is Afridi's 76 not out off 55 balls on one of the most difficult pitches for batting along with a 7 wicket haul the best ODI performance ever?
The only other batsmen to reach a decent score was Misbah who took 121 balls to score 52 runs, for WI, the top scorer Samuels, consumed 75 deliveries for his 25. Lendl Simmons 10 runs in 46 deliveries also deserves a special mention:p.

smash84

The Tiger King
in and of itself perhaps......given that it was such a meaningless series then in context perhaps not

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Afridi's 76 not out off 55 balls on one of the most difficult pitches for batting along with a 7 wicket haul the best ODI performance ever?
The only other batsmen to reach a decent score was Misbah who took 121 balls to score 52 runs, for WI, the top scorer Samuels, consumed 75 deliveries for his 25. Lendl Simmons 10 runs in 46 deliveries also deserves a special mention:p.
Centuries in WC finals are better ODI performances but on pure stats, it is tough to beat this one..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think series relevance is given way too much importance wrt ODIs. So what if it's a meaningless 7 match ODI series, just watch the game, and judge for yourself based on the quality of bowling, the quality of the batting, the conditions and the other basic criteria we use. I agree that delivering in pressure situations demands more respect, but it's unfair to give that much extra weightage to performances in WCs without looking at the overall quality of the game itself.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think series relevance is given way too much importance wrt ODIs. So what if it's a meaningless 7 match ODI series, just watch the game, and judge for yourself based on the quality of bowling, the quality of the batting, the conditions and the other basic criteria we use. I agree that delivering in pressure situations demands more respect, but it's unfair to give that much extra weightage to performances in WCs without looking at the overall quality of the game itself.

yeah it is a big injustice to Boom Boom if even after such a performance we still need to argue the greatest allround ODI Performance.. I mean, this is the Bradman of ODI all round performances :)

watson

Banned
Viv Richard's 189 runs against England in 1984 (Old Trafford) was pretty impressive. The team total was 272, and the next highest score was 26 by Eldine Baptiste;

HowSTAT! ODI Scorecard

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I think this performance by Tendulkar is up there.

Big occassion, the quarter-final of basically the first Champions Trophy and good opposition, Australia albeit without Warne and McGrath

141 with the bat and 4/38 with the ball including the wickets of Steve Waugh, Bevan and Martyn.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar's 143 and 134 at Sharjah against Australia, the century by Gibbs in the great chase, Ponting's century in the WC final and Warne against SA in the WC semis are few things which stay on mind..
But as an allround performance, Afridi trumps all..

King Pietersen

International Captain
I might be a tad biased, but KP's 110* against New Zealand at Chester-Le-Street in 2008 is right up there for me. It was one of the best examples of KP at the peak of his powers. He absolutely destroyed the New Zealand attack, and took the game away from them. It was one of the first time's he'd brought out the switch hit and used it with success. Superb knock, probably his best in ODi's. It was chanceless, with the only times he came close to being out being a couple of mis-timed pull shots, with one of them dropping short of the fielder, and one coming off the inside edge and flying for four.

rickey007

Cricket Spectator
Virat Kohli's fastest innings against Sri Lanka with score of 133 in just 83 balls. This match is created record of fastest run chasing of India with a help of great "Virat Kohli."

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Centuries in WC finals are better ODI performances but on pure stats, it is tough to beat this one..
How about a century and 3-42 in a WC final. Aravinda has a shout for the title.

Dave Callaghan scoted 169 and then took 3-32 against NZ IIRC. Must be up there.

Dissector

International Debutant
How about a century and 3-42 in a WC final. Aravinda has a shout for the title.
I had forgotten that Aravinda was integral to the classic spin choke that restricted Australia to a gettable target. And I consider his hundred the best innings played in a World Cup final because of the huge pressure of a chase after early wickets. Considering the occasion and the opposition I would put this performance on top of the list.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Viv did indeed get a hundred and a 5fer in the same game, the only man to do so other than the mighty Paul Collingwood who smacked 112* from 86 deliveries and then took 6/31 against Bangladesh in 2005. Viv's hundred and 5fer came against slightly better opposition, against a New Zealand side that included a bowling attack that included Richard Hadlee, Ewen Chatfield and Martin Snedden. Came off just 113 balls and included 4 sixes too, which is a fine effort for that era. Another notable performance came from Mark Waugh who scored 57 against a Windies attack which included Ambrose and Walsh, then took the wickets of Lara and Richardson on the way to a match-winning 5/24.

Also, Fred took 2/37 in 10 overs to restrict New Zealand and then hit 72* from 75 balls to guide England to a victory with 1 ball to spare. Not a bad effort.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Herschelle Gibbs' 175 off 90 balls or something ridiculous in the 438 game must be up there.