Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The greatest ODI performance ever?

The greatest ODI performance ever?

Is Afridi's 76 not out off 55 balls on one of the most difficult pitches for batting along with a 7 wicket haul the best ODI performance ever?
    The only other batsmen to reach a decent score was Misbah who took 121 balls to score 52 runs, for WI, the top scorer Samuels, consumed 75 deliveries for his 25. Lendl Simmons 10 runs in 46 deliveries also deserves a special mention.
    Is this your homework Larry?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    in and of itself perhaps......given that it was such a meaningless series then in context perhaps not
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    Is Afridi's 76 not out off 55 balls on one of the most difficult pitches for batting along with a 7 wicket haul the best ODI performance ever?
    The only other batsmen to reach a decent score was Misbah who took 121 balls to score 52 runs, for WI, the top scorer Samuels, consumed 75 deliveries for his 25. Lendl Simmons 10 runs in 46 deliveries also deserves a special mention.
    Centuries in WC finals are better ODI performances but on pure stats, it is tough to beat this one..

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I think series relevance is given way too much importance wrt ODIs. So what if it's a meaningless 7 match ODI series, just watch the game, and judge for yourself based on the quality of bowling, the quality of the batting, the conditions and the other basic criteria we use. I agree that delivering in pressure situations demands more respect, but it's unfair to give that much extra weightage to performances in WCs without looking at the overall quality of the game itself.
    ankitj likes this.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I think series relevance is given way too much importance wrt ODIs. So what if it's a meaningless 7 match ODI series, just watch the game, and judge for yourself based on the quality of bowling, the quality of the batting, the conditions and the other basic criteria we use. I agree that delivering in pressure situations demands more respect, but it's unfair to give that much extra weightage to performances in WCs without looking at the overall quality of the game itself.

yeah it is a big injustice to Boom Boom if even after such a performance we still need to argue the greatest allround ODI Performance.. I mean, this is the Bradman of ODI all round performances
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Viv Richard's 189 runs against England in 1984 (Old Trafford) was pretty impressive. The team total was 272, and the next highest score was 26 by Eldine Baptiste;

HowSTAT! ODI Scorecard
    Last edited by watson; 16-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Viv Richards 189 runs against England in 1984 (Old Trafford) was pretty impressive. The team total was 272, and the next highest score was 26 by Eldine Baptiste;

HowSTAT! ODI Scorecard
    Yeah, good shout. Rob has a vid of it up on youtube. Gun knock.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Kapil Dev's 175 against Zimbabwe in the 1983 World Cup was also impressive. He came in with the score at 4/9, then 7/78. Final Indian total was 266;

HowSTAT! ODI Scorecard

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    HowSTAT! ODI Scorecard

Gilmour, Gary J
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    I think this performance by Tendulkar is up there.

Big occassion, the quarter-final of basically the first Champions Trophy and good opposition, Australia albeit without Warne and McGrath

141 with the bat and 4/38 with the ball including the wickets of Steve Waugh, Bevan and Martyn.
    Last edited by Dissector; 16-07-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Tendulkar's 143 and 134 at Sharjah against Australia, the century by Gibbs in the great chase, Ponting's century in the WC final and Warne against SA in the WC semis are few things which stay on mind..
    But as an allround performance, Afridi trumps all..

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I might be a tad biased, but KP's 110* against New Zealand at Chester-Le-Street in 2008 is right up there for me. It was one of the best examples of KP at the peak of his powers. He absolutely destroyed the New Zealand attack, and took the game away from them. It was one of the first time's he'd brought out the switch hit and used it with success. Superb knock, probably his best in ODi's. It was chanceless, with the only times he came close to being out being a couple of mis-timed pull shots, with one of them dropping short of the fielder, and one coming off the inside edge and flying for four.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricket Spectator
    Virat Kohli's fastest innings against Sri Lanka with score of 133 in just 83 balls. This match is created record of fastest run chasing of India with a help of great "Virat Kohli."
    hendrix likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickey007 View Post
    Virat Kohli's fastest innings against Sri Lanka with score of 133 in just 83 balls. This match is created record of fastest run chasing of India with a help of great "Virat Kohli."
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    Centuries in WC finals are better ODI performances but on pure stats, it is tough to beat this one..
    How about a century and 3-42 in a WC final. Aravinda has a shout for the title.

Dave Callaghan scoted 169 and then took 3-32 against NZ IIRC. Must be up there.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information