• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Partnership ever

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Just wondering, what is the greatest partnership in cricketing history between two batsmen (in any form of cricket incl test, first class, grade, youth and schoolboys) ?

A few years I read in the Guiness Book of World Records that Tendulkar and Kambli held the record with a 664 run unbeaten
partnership for their Mumbai school in a Harris Shield Match.
But that was way back in 1988. Has that been surpassed since ?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Biggest partnership I ever been involved in was 82 for the 6th wicket:( in a 5th grade game last year.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
hrm, ive been in a 203 one for my school, a 168 for club and 149 one for County, although i think it ws ajust a friendly.

The Kambli and Tendulkar partnership is legendary and it is still the best partnership in the history to date, according to a few people anyhow..

amits

Banned
test - 576 - jayasurya and kaluwithrana - 2nd wicket, sl v ind

fc - 577 - 4th wicket (and this was in some indian doemstic game)

Eclipse

International Debutant
amits said:
test - 576 - jayasurya and kaluwithrana - 2nd wicket, sl v ind

fc - 577 - 4th wicket (and this was in some indian doemstic game)
That partneship of 576 against India was Jayasurya and some other dude not Kalu. I know his name but am certain I will make a fool of myslef trying to spell it so I wont even try.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
Mark and Steve Waugh put on a huge partneship against WA once.

464 from memory

the greatest partnership every would have to be the Dravid Laxman one from the 2nd test in the Aus India series though for mine, not the biggest, but probably the greatest.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
464 from memory

the greatest partnership every would have to be the Dravid Laxman one from the 2nd test in the Aus India series though for mine, not the biggest, but probably the greatest.
Although their one in the last match must run it close?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The greatest partnerships I've ever seen were Atherton and Stewart at Old Trafford in 1998 and Atherton and Vaughan at Lord's in 2000 against WI, and that wasn't even worth 100.
I only saw bits of the Hussain\Thorpe one at Edgbaston in 1997.

Bazza

International 12th Man
The Hussain/Thorpe one always brings back good memories as does Hussain/Butcher from 2001.

In the 1997 series wasn't there a pretty big stand between Elliott when he made 199 and someone else? Another low was this summer when Smith and Gibbs put on a couple of big opening stands.

What I actually thought this thread was going to be about was this:

http://www-nz.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/DEC/023231_COL-STATS_19DEC2003.html

So Hobbs and Sutcliffe were probably the greatest partners:

http://www-nz.cricket.org/db/STATS/TESTS/PARTNERSHIPS/OPENING_PAIRS.html

Unfortunately I couldn't find similar stats for other wickets, but check out Gibbs & Smith, Langer & Hayden and Greenidge & Haynes. Also Trescothick & Vaughan and Hinds & Gayle are there.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Bazza said:
In the 1997 series wasn't there a pretty big stand between Elliott when he made 199 and someone else?
Yep

At Headingley Australia were in trouble early , Elliott got 199 & Ponting got 127 off the top off my head , they put on just short of 300 , Jason Gillespie had earlier taken 7 for not many & England surrendered by an innings.:P :P .

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally, if I were Geoff Marsh, I'd be ashamed if my team lost over half their wickets to a just-recalled, never-contented, chain-smoking, ****ney fingerspinner.
I'd prefer it if Caddick or Giles (or Croft or Cork or any other Aussie-derided Englishman) took the wickets anyday. Fortunately Caddick did get a few.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
i'm sure i've broken the Tendulkar-Kambli partnership a few times in the backyard ;)

but you'd think given all the various forms of cricket, that some obscure schoolboy under 16 match in the backstreets of the West Indies 30 years ago yielded a 1000 run partnership......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This was a question that used to befuddle me: what constitutes cricket? Where does cricket end and something-resembling-cricket begin?
The answer is if you have scorers and Umpires in place, it is cricket. Without these, nothing the players have estimated has taken place can be official.