• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Conflict within 'the spirit of the game'.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
at my grade level we sometimes have to umpire ourselves, our rule is if you hit it walk, so you don't put pressure on you're mate who's umpiring. if you have a paid umpire, don't walk.
Haha, same. Never a pleasant one when you think your teammate has hit it but he doesn't walk.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Show me a cricketer and I'll show you a hypocrite. I don't have a problem with Broad waiting for the decision. That's a matter for him. I know blokes like Gilly get lauded for being walkers, but he never had a problem appealing for blatantly not out lbws or for catches behind either. Same for Lara, who would appeal at slip for things that weren't out. I'm not bagging those two guys for what they did, it's a bit of a natural thing to appeal I suppose, and there seems to be some idea that "you're only asking a question".

Mark Waugh was the great arbiter of whethr something was out. He never appealed unless he thought something was out. You'd see everyone else shouting and he'd just be standing there impassively. Yet he wasn't a walker when he batted.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Show me a cricketer and I'll show you a hypocrite. I don't have a problem with Broad waiting for the decision. That's a matter for him. I know blokes like Gilly get lauded for being walkers, but he never had a problem appealing for blatantly not out lbws or for catches behind either. Same for Lara, who would appeal at slip for things that weren't out. I'm not bagging those two guys for what they did, it's a bit of a natural thing to appeal I suppose, and there seems to be some idea that "you're only asking a question".

Mark Waugh was the great arbiter of whethr something was out. He never appealed unless he thought something was out. You'd see everyone else shouting and he'd just be standing there impassively. Yet he wasn't a walker when he batted.
Agreed

Love that example you bring up about Kumble's spirit of cricket bs and his sledging of Yousuf

Pretty much sums the cricket world up in a nutshell - anything goes unless it is to our disadvantage

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Standing your ground means there's a possibility you're not sure. Claiming a catch means you're stating something with certainty. They're not the same thing.
While there is a good reason to stand your ground for a faint edge or if you think the catch is actually a half volley neither pertained to the Broad dismissal and its no different in conduct to someone like Ramdin claiming a catch.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
There's a possibility that broad didn't know if he had, though. An absurdly small one, but still a possibility. With ramdin the ball was on the ground, there was zero doubt.

Additionally the umpire has a clear view of a batsman edging a ball but often can't see in the case of a claimed catch.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowlers aren't cheating if they appeal for something that isn't out, they aren't cheating if the appeal is successful either, cricketers who choose to leave the final decision to the umpires aren't cheats.