• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Conflict within 'the spirit of the game'.

uvelocity

International Coach
at my grade level we sometimes have to umpire ourselves, our rule is if you hit it walk, so you don't put pressure on you're mate who's umpiring. if you have a paid umpire, don't walk.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
There's no distinction if you're aware. It's cheating, plain and simple, and no amount of arguing to the contrary changes that. It's a thoroughly human thing as well and a fair hint as to how the person might conduct his life outside the cricket field.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Just out of curiosity, and I have absolutely no agenda here, do any of them walk notwithstanding that, and if they do (did) how would you react to that?
I can't remember a situation akin to that happening but if it did I would certainly not make an issue of it. I would probably take the time - in private - to ask them if they would have done the same if we were 9-down and needed two to win.

Would also echo the other comments made - if my mates were umpiring then I'd walk.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Broad did nothing to deceive the umpire. Catch claimed, bowler appealed, umpire made his decision. Broad did not try to influence the decision. He stood his ground and waited. Clearly a poor decision but Broad was merely a spectator.

Some of the reaction, admittedly in the minority, in here is ridiculous and painful to read.
Yep the call for Broad to walk has been embarrassing. But I hope you felt the same way when Swann called Sri Lankan players cheaters for not walking:

Graeme Swann in blast at Sri Lankan 'cheat' | Mail Online

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think we're pretty effectively concluding that analogies between sport and the justice system don't really work
In this case, it works perfectly well. Either you think appealing for something, standing your ground or claiming something that you believe to be true is cheating and shouldn't be part of the game, or you think it's fine. I have a problem with artificially picking and choosing which lies are OK, and which aren't and blaming a player for only the lies that you don't like.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
In this case, it works perfectly well. Either you think appealing for something, standing your ground or claiming something that you believe to be true is cheating and shouldn't be part of the game, or you think it's fine. I have a problem with artificially picking and choosing which lies are OK, and which aren't and blaming a player for only the lies that you don't like.
Standing your ground means there's a possibility you're not sure. Claiming a catch means you're stating something with certainty. They're not the same thing.