• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Conflict within 'the spirit of the game'.

davidmutton

School Boy/Girl Captain
But not everything was very equitable back in the old days though - umpires were renowned for not giving captains out because they wrote reports on the officials after each match. Personally I don't have a problem with walking or not walking but can't abide the likes of the venerable Colin Cowdrey (who did so much to evangelize the spirit of cricket) who walked after they had reached a century but stayed at the start of their innings.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
It's all very well asking batsmen to be honest but what's the honest batsman to do when he's given out caught behind when he hasn't hit it?

Batsmen should only be honest when fielding teams stop appealing for decisions when they know the batsman isn't out.
I agree with this, and its why I think neither should be penalized. Hopefully one day all decisions will be made quickly through technology anyway, and this whole business can be forgotten about on both sides.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If someone would like to tell me what kind of reactions are necessary to stop umpires giving me out LBW when I hit it then that would be much appreciated.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If someone would like to tell me what kind of reactions are necessary to stop umpires giving me out LBW when I hit it then that would be much appreciated.
You clearly have the wrong sort of reputation, albeit the right one, if you see what I mean

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Question to those who think Broad should have been banned/fined/reprimanded:

Clarke nicked off, was given out, and then reviewed it. Thoughts?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Will preface this by saying I have no problem with what Broad did.

A whole load of stuff has been said in this thread and most of it is true, but also most of it is entirely intrinsically irrelevant from a moral point of view.

What is relevant is that both the Broad incident and the Ramdin incident involve a player knowing that he is benefiting from an umpiring error, and the level of benefit is the same in both cases (a wicket wrongly given versus a wicket wrongly not given).

It's basically another case of society (in this case the cricketing society) arbitrarily deciding what is the norm in various different circumstances for no good reason.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Question to those who think Broad should have been banned/fined/reprimanded:

Clarke nicked off, was given out, and then reviewed it. Thoughts?
The key question here is did Clarke think he hadn't hit it? Or did he opportunistically know it was the slightest of edges and, after what happened to Trott, Ian Bell @Sydney last Ashes and various other instances, think that the technology may come to his rescue?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And therein lies the rub with censuring players for not walking. We can't be 100% sure that the player knows they edged it. Even with one like Broad's, if he impacted bat on pad at the same time, could we guarantee 100% that he knew he edged it. I mean, in this example we're pretty sure he edged it, but the thinner edges I don't think we can be anywhere near certain.

So, if we want to censure Broad and not Clarke in this case (who I can believe thought he didn't edge it) then where is the line between what should be punished and what shouldn't?

Where as with the Ramdin or Rashid Latif dropped catches, we can pretty much guarantee they knew that they didn't catch the ball.

In my view, the less grey areas the better.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
We can't be 100% sure that the player knows they edged it.
[/thread]. Every batsman has the right to stand their ground because of this simple fact. Even if a batsman did think they'd hit it, why not wait for a second opinion anyway? It all happens so quickly you can never know.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Love the active vs. passive argument. It's like saying well if you rob a store and are smart enough to remain silent, it's different to actively saying you didn't rob a store. In both cases, you refuse to cooperate. And then video evidence convicts you both times. The crime is the same. It's such an artificial distinction that people are making just because standards have changed. Not too long ago, both would have been branded cheaters.

/for the record, I don't mind either...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea. But when you're convicted from video evidence, you don't get a free pass from being called a criminal just because you stayed silent.