Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Official Cricketweb Criteria for Selecting ATG XIs

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Its also ridiculous to say that Hadlee was never the best bowler in the world.
    From 1989 until his retirement in 1991 Hadlee was CLEARLY the best bowler in the world, and that too I pick just the last 3 years of his career. During that time he was definitely ahead of Marshall.

Kyear2, please remember that repeating something again and again doesn't make it true
    marc71178 likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Just pick whoever the **** you want to pick. If someone disagrees, so be it.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Just pick whoever the **** you want to pick. If someone disagrees, so be it.
    I like this idea.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

To me, someone being 'in the mix' would imply that there would be days when I'd pick him in my XI. If I claim that Tendulkar and Lara are in the mix, it would mean that there would be days when I'd pick Tendulkar at #4, and other days when I'd change my mind and pick Lara at #4 instead. But if someone has made his mind up that they wouldn't pick Hadlee for the XI, instead preferring another player to him at all times, then they really shouldn't be claiming that they have Hadlee in the mix. The way I see it, Hadlee definitely deserves to be in the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Current ATG ITM XI

Hobbs, Gavaskar, Hutton
    "
    Bradman
    Lara, Tendulkar, Richards
    "
    Sobers
    Gilchrist
    Imran, Hadlee, Marshall
    "
    Warne, Muralitharan
    McGrath, Barnes, Trueman

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    For me it's not that complicated.

Best bowling All Rounder : Imran, much better batsman than Hadlee and brings more to the teaam with reverse swing that Hadlee would.
    Best two Fast Bowlers : Malcolm Marshall and Glenn McGrath, easily for me better bowlers than Hadlee who proved themselves the world over in all conditions and who were the main reasons why their teams were the best in the world... ever. Foe me I also rate Ambrose, Lillee, Trueman and Holding over Hadlee as pure bowlers, and as except for the #8 slot, selection is purely based on bowling merits, for me he is not "in the mix". No disrespect intended.

Plus as previously mentioned, I have never seen an ATG XI from a past player, historian, commentator or publication that had Hadlee in the first XI, it doesn't mean he wasn't an ATG, but just not as esteemed as or by his peers.
    An no, they (especially a compilation slection lile cricinfo) cannot all be biased.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    An no, they (especially a compilation slection lile cricinfo) cannot all be biased.
    Of course they can. Watson put this particularly well when he clarified the difference between "bias" and "natural affinity". Geoff Boycott selecting Alan Knott, everyone else selected Adam Gilchrist. There were no Kiwi-led selections in your list, no doubt they would favour Hadlee over Imran and vice versa from a Pakistani point of view. This is still a bias inherent in the sample - people tend to select the more familiar over the less familiar in tight comparisons. So, yes, all of those XIs will be biased.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Example of inherent bias in ATG selections: kyear manipulating Bradman criteria so he could select a West Indian middle order instead of the greater Australian one.

marc71178 likes this.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information