• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ajantha Mendis revive his test career?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I think the problem with Mendis is more fundamental than him being inexperienced or unable to use his variations smartly or whatever, it's just that unless conditions really suit him (which they rarely do) he can be played more easily than most other spinners due to the fact that he doesn't spin the ball hard. Mendis may have plenty of variety but on most pitches, due to both the speed he bowls at and the lack of spin on the ball, it's just different variations of straight balls tbh. His googly is the only delivery of his that I think actually troubles international batsmen, but he can only use it sparingly which limits the impact that ball has.

He doesn't bowl all the deliveries at a very quick pace, its the carrom ball which he bowls at around a 95kph-100kph mark. He imparts adequate amount of turn on his off cutters, leg cutters and googlies and also variates the pace. And there have been guys who have done well despite of not getting a lot of turn so I don't think that point would be actually correct. The key to his kind of bowling is control, that will come if he bowls one of his deliveries more regularly and mix it up with his variations rather than trying all the different tricks in 1 over itself.

I think we'll have to wait and see, I strongly believe that he'll do really well if he learns to fine tune his bowling, be more selective and use the crease well.

Last edited: