• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stolen from Ashes subbie - player you can't go without for each team?

Flem274*

123/5
Australia - Clarke
Bangladesh - Shakib
England - Cook
India - Yadav
New Zealand - Taylor
Pakistan - Younis Khan
South Africa - Smith
Sri Lanka - Herath
West Indies - Chanderpaul
Zimbabwe - Taylor

gogogo

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia - Clarke
Bangladesh - Shakib
England - Anderson
India - Dhoni
NZ - Taylor
Pakistan - Ajmal
SA - Amla
SL - Herath
WI - Roach
Zim - Taylor

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My personal views. Will be interesting to see how long the players will remain so..

Australia - Clarke (Batting backbone)
Bangladesh - Shakib (Team backbone)
England - None (No dependency on single player)
India - Dhoni (Team always loses without him)
NZ - None (Same as England)
Pakistan - Misbah (only good batsman in the team now)
SA - Kallis (a big part of their winning depends on the balance he gives)
SL - Sangakkara (same as SA)
WI - Gayle (among so many allrounders, he is the one good batsman along with Samuels)
Zim - Taylor (same as Aus)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For England it's quite obviously Anderson. For some reason our entire bowling attack goes to **** when he doesn't play or isn't playing well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
For England it's Swann.
For India it's Tendulkar (because there'd be a violent uprising if he was ever dropped).
There's nobody that South Africa can't go without as their team is so well balanced, though Kallis' absence would probably have the biggest impact.
Clarke for Aus, Herath for SL, Taylor for NZ, Younis for Pakistan, Chanders for WI

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the Boult-Southee partnership is more important than Taylor. Take out either and NZ loses any consistent period of pressure being put on the opposition.

England very clearly rely on Anderson.

Steyn is probably more important than Kallis, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with he retires.

Pakistan need Saeed Ajmal more than anyone else.

Same with Sri Lanka and Herath, although Sangakkarra is close to equally important.

Australia - Clarke

India - Pujara or Kohli.

West Indies - dunno. Probably Samuels right now

Bangladesh - Shakib

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, Boult-Southee can ultimately be replaced by Wheeler/Milne or whoever. Doug Bracewell is currently first reserve as well.

Taylor gets replaced by Martin Guptill or....well exactly.

See South Africa for details.

Flem274*

123/5
With South Africa I think Graeme Smith is the most important because there is already a significant drop from him to his opening partner Alviro Petersen. Remove Smith and replace him with someone who is at best the same as Alviro (though since Elgar is an opener and has made the test team this is optimistic) and South Africa look vulnerable. Alviro is better than people give him credit for but he isn't going to set the world on fire either.

The same logic goes for Cook.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Boult-Southee can ultimately be replaced by Wheeler/Milne or whoever. Doug Bracewell is currently first reserve as well.

Taylor gets replaced by Martin Guptill or....well exactly.

See South Africa for details.

Neither Wheeler nor Milne have played a test so I'm unsure why they're seen as such competent replacements. May as well say that Tom Latham can easily sub in for Taylor? Bracewell has been poor for over a year now.

Southee didn't play in South Africa either, and I could use that example to illustrate my point but the reality is NZ were never going to get anywhere near competitive totals against SA's bowlers.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Point is - we have bowlers who can probably do an acceptable job. We only have one acceptable (as in would have a vague chance of making Eng/SA/India) batsman in Taylor.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I disagree that we have bowlers who will do an acceptable job, because noone other than Southee and Boult have been proven test wicket takers. Maybe Gillespie but it's been a while since he's looked threatening.

We have no idea how "acceptable" they're going to be. And, as we have seen in the case of Southee's career, you can have all the skills and all the deliveries, but there's still a major mental, physical and consistency shift to overcome in test cricket. You get there and you can be threatening the best batsmen in the world. Without it, you can be cannon fodder.

That's not to say that I don't like the look of Milne et al, but saying that they would do the job is akin to saying that Michael Hussey was dispensable because Usman Khawaja will easily negotiate Jimmy Anderson.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
With South Africa I think Graeme Smith is the most important because there is already a significant drop from him to his opening partner Alviro Petersen. Remove Smith and replace him with someone who is at best the same as Alviro (though since Elgar is an opener and has made the test team this is optimistic) and South Africa look vulnerable. Alviro is better than people give him credit for but he isn't going to set the world on fire either.

The same logic goes for Cook.
The answer for England is still Anderson, not Cook or Swann or Prior or anyone else.

an attack of Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Swann on paper still looks very good but it wouldn't work. We had a similar attack against Sri Lanka at Lord's (swap Bresnan for Tremlett) and they got smashed. Jimmy was crap at the Oval against South Africa, we got flogged. Jimmeh was average in New Zealand, the rest of the attack was average.

England's strength is in the bowling and the bowling relies to a ridiculous degree on one man. Anderson is England's most irreplacable player, end of story.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia - Clarke (obviously, can't bat or make good tactical moves without him)
Bangladesh - Mushfiqur (really important to their batting)
England - Anderson (holds the bowling attack together)
India - Pujara (is the backbone of their batting, pretty even team tbh)
NZ - Kane Williamson (pretty even team, but Williamson is providing excellent spin support and is a man for all conditions)
Pakistan - Ajmal (is probably the world's best spinner, takes important wickets and keeps it tight)
SA- Steyn (leads the fast bowlers who often decide games when SA plays)
SL - Herath (edges out Sanga because the bowling completely falls apart without him, Sanga has good batsmen in support on the other hand)
WI - Chanders (by far their best batsman, rest of the team quite even)
Zimbabwe - Taylor (their only player of high class)

BeeGee

International Captain
The answer for England is still Anderson, not Cook or Swann or Prior or anyone else.

an attack of Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Swann on paper still looks very good but it wouldn't work. We had a similar attack against Sri Lanka at Lord's (swap Bresnan for Tremlett) and they got smashed. Jimmy was crap at the Oval against South Africa, we got flogged. Jimmeh was average in New Zealand, the rest of the attack was average.

England's strength is in the bowling and the bowling relies to a ridiculous degree on one man. Anderson is England's most irreplacable player, end of story.
Not only do I totally agree with this post, but I would also like to submit it as evidence that England's overwhelming favoritism to win the ashes stands on rather shaky ground. If Anderson doesn't bring his 'A' game to that series I think England will struggle to win.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not only do I totally agree with this post, but I would also like to submit it as evidence that England's overwhelming favoritism to win the ashes stands on rather shaky ground. If Anderson doesn't bring his 'A' game to that series I think England will struggle to win.
He doesn't need to bring his A game - Broad and Bresnan bowled magnificently around him against India at home (as did Tremlett and Bresnan in the last Ashes) but if Anderson doesn't turn up at all I don't have faith in the rest of the bowling attack to step up.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia - Clarke (obviously. Despite most of the side playing well him failing saw our batting collapse)
Bangladesh - Shakib (their best bowler by far)
England - Anderson (holds their seam bowling attack together)
India - Ashwin (hard to say, but him taking 8+ wickets at home per game is something that's tricky to do even in India)
New Zealand - Taylor (easily their best bat)
Pakistan - Ajmal (main spinner, rest of their attack is pretty inexperienced without him)
South Africa - Smith (best opener, poor options after him)
Sri Lanka - Herath (rest of their bowling is dire. Could argue Sangakarra but some of their other bats are OK too)
West Indies - Chanderpaul (still their best bat even today)
Zimbabwe - Taylor (only bat of much class)

India and the West Indies quite tricky.