• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should open with astle? And your NZ team?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Fleming has been tired time and time again and failed so I wouldn't consider him.

It's really hard to try and think of someone. Maybe Chris Nevin again :I

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think nevin is the number 1 wicketkeeper in New Zealand though.. I think lou vincent will keep in the world cup

Lachman Raja

Cricket Spectator
Matt Horne. I think he has been tried so many times before. When he is on form that is fine but he is a bit like Matt Bell. on form for one season and ten back off again.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Nah matt horne isint the greatest opener , vincent can keep but cant bat well i reckon nevin should bat number three and Flemming go number 2 nad maybe Lou Open

Kimbo

International Debutant
Nevin is a **** keeper- hes stuffed up too many times, we can't afford to have those chances blundered. Matt Horne looked really good opening in one dayers here in provincial cricket, when he decides to go after the ball, he really goes after it!
I reckon Lou will be alright, hes got the right attitude, with experience he will get a lot better.
What about Doull?!!! Did anyone see him open for ND, hes not a bad slogger... but seriously, the nz selectors have got a few problems.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Nevin isint that bad a keeper and is he is a way better Batsmen that Parore was , i mean parore is good but u cant expect him to open and hit all the tim

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yea, but parore is gone, anyway, i am biased cos i was talking to all these people that hate him, apparently hes a real dick and he smokes and stuff, i really don't think top class athletes should smoke.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
he smokes???

lol reducing his career life

okay that isint good , i hate people who smoke and play cricket ?

whoa do you knw how many times a day

Kimbo

International Debutant
nah i dont, but people i was talking to just said that they saw him smoke- it changes how you see people eh

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
lol i wasnt talking about u

well most players Drink too ? that is bad too then isint it ?

So is it actually proved that he smokes ? i mean a people seeing him could be a rumor ?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Horne should not even be near the NZ team as far as ODIs are concerned. They are better off taking Brendon McCullum over and giving him experience like they are with Butler rather than Horne wasting time with his rather poor technique.

I think with the team in the West Indies, they should open with Nevin, he actually hasn't done too badly recently, although yes his keeping is not the best.

The other option is to let Vincent open & keep, I think he would make a good one day keeper.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im concerned that NZ is going down this track of opening the batting with bowlers who slog it like Doull or Cunis has for their respective provinces.

This is one of the reasons why a country can perform badly on the international stage because when it comes down to selecting a team, provinces have been mucking around with sloggers rather than proper openers.

NZ cricket should set out some rules to the Provinces & make sure their tactics are not so circus like.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why should it matters if he smokes or not, as long as it's only Tobacco :D

If it was affecting his performance, I'm sure he'd be told pretty quickly by the selectors or coaches.

Kimbo

International Debutant
i reckon that tobacco is worse than pot.
it has all those chemicals, and its addictive. what happens when he is keeping and he feels like a smoke- his focus would be lost, and its all about focus (according to the cricket academy coaches, and all those psych books)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Nope Brendon Mccullum is not the greatest batsmen , let him grow a bit more mature and get more used to the low level and have some experience

Bring in some other good opener that has age , experience from one of the national teams

Kimbo

International Debutant
well, its fleming going to open with astle- that just dont seem right. whats the bet he tries to hit the ball harder than he can and gets out for about 2

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming & Astle have had a couple of great opening partnerships before, if they could do that more often I wouldn't have a problem with Fleming opening.