• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When India travel, money follows

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
: Tony Cozier: When India travel, money follows | Cricket Features | West Indies Tri-Nation Series | ESPN Cricinfo

Surely this can't possibly be sustained? If even tours by countries like SA and Australia are not profitable, and England is only profitable because of the travelling that comes along with it, it's got to be close to the end? I don't see a solution, personally.

Obviously I knew that Indian tours were by far the most profitable but I thought aside from tours from NZ, SL or Bangladesh, they'd still make SOME money from the other countries?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd hate to be the cricket board of SL/WI/Bangladesh, the people only turn up to ODIs and t20s, they are cash strapped and their teams are **** at test cricket.Why would they schedule tests when they are running them at a loss all the time? However this sets a very unhealthy precedent and the ICC needs to do something about the wealth distribution in cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How exactly can the ICC do something about market forces though?

It's not a simple case of just saying they should do something as there's not a lot that they can do really?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think day-night tests absolutely must be attempted in a situation like this.

Not saying it's going to work, but noone watches NZ-WI test series anyway, so may as well give it a go.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, are World XI matches profitable?

South Africa vs a world XI, played in WI, might attract quite a large viewership because of fan loyalty to certain players.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You'd hate to be the cricket board of SL/WI/Bangladesh, the people only turn up to ODIs and t20s, they are cash strapped and their teams are **** at test cricket.Why would they schedule tests when they are running them at a loss all the time? However this sets a very unhealthy precedent and the ICC needs to do something about the wealth distribution in cricket.
As marc said, what exactly can they do?

Easier said then done, but they have to find a way to market the game internally better - day night tests should be a must. Won't know until you try it...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah "do something", well, like people have said, day-night tests, anything that might get crowds and TV audiences watching, some financial assistance mightn't go astray (probably not feasible) either, but when cricket boards can;t pay their own players without playing India in 50 ODIs every year then something has to change.