Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marc71178

Thread: When India travel, money follows

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

When India travel, money follows

: Tony Cozier: When India travel, money follows | Cricket Features | West Indies Tri-Nation Series | ESPN Cricinfo

Surely this can't possibly be sustained? If even tours by countries like SA and Australia are not profitable, and England is only profitable because of the travelling that comes along with it, it's got to be close to the end? I don't see a solution, personally.

Obviously I knew that Indian tours were by far the most profitable but I thought aside from tours from NZ, SL or Bangladesh, they'd still make SOME money from the other countries?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

You'd hate to be the cricket board of SL/WI/Bangladesh, the people only turn up to ODIs and t20s, they are cash strapped and their teams are **** at test cricket.Why would they schedule tests when they are running them at a loss all the time? However this sets a very unhealthy precedent and the ICC needs to do something about the wealth distribution in cricket.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    How exactly can the ICC do something about market forces though?

It's not a simple case of just saying they should do something as there's not a lot that they can do really?
    Black_Warrior likes this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I think day-night tests absolutely must be attempted in a situation like this.

Not saying it's going to work, but noone watches NZ-WI test series anyway, so may as well give it a go.

Also, are World XI matches profitable?

South Africa vs a world XI, played in WI, might attract quite a large viewership because of fan loyalty to certain players.

a Universal Truth in World Cricket.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    You'd hate to be the cricket board of SL/WI/Bangladesh, the people only turn up to ODIs and t20s, they are cash strapped and their teams are **** at test cricket.Why would they schedule tests when they are running them at a loss all the time? However this sets a very unhealthy precedent and the ICC needs to do something about the wealth distribution in cricket.
    As marc said, what exactly can they do?

Easier said then done, but they have to find a way to market the game internally better - day night tests should be a must. Won't know until you try it...

Yeah "do something", well, like people have said, day-night tests, anything that might get crowds and TV audiences watching, some financial assistance mightn't go astray (probably not feasible) either, but when cricket boards can;t pay their own players without playing India in 50 ODIs every year then something has to change.

Thread Information