Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What level of pace do you consider unplayable?

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar

What level of pace do you consider unplayable?

As in, personally for you.

Fastest I've faced would be roughly 125 kph (82-83 mph?). I saw it, but I was never in a position to actually react, let alone score.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    I think I've faced something similar (teammates swore it was 130km/h, and given one guy I played with used to bowl that when he was playing for the NSW U/17s, it's probably one of the more reliable park-bowler-is-130km/h claims).

First time I faced him he took 6/10 - 5 of the wickets bowled, 5 of the runs conceded when he beamed me. I nicked behind next ball and felt that getting bat on ball was a huge achievement in itself.

Second time around the opposition couldn't believe I played a shot early enough to get the ball in front of square. And he bowled a bouncer that went over my head by a good 2 metres and lodged in the keeper's gloves, some thirty yards back and down a hill.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Probably 130-135kph+. Faced Don Nash many years ago and by the time I realised where the ball was going and got my bat down the stumps were everywhere.

I haven't played for a few years though, so now anything above 120kph would give me a fair workout I reckon.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    50mph

Struggle with anything faster than a mildly injured bee

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Can't play slow bowlers even if they don't turn it. Can't play quicks very well either. All in all I'd say anywhere > 30mph should do the trick against me.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I faced a machine at 80mph a few winters ago and then faced someone in a match who felt about similar pace. Blocked one yorker then had my stumps rearranged the next ball. That was a couple of years ago though, so I may have faced people as fast as that since and not really realised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Have faced a few very quick guys in the nets. The main issue is that you play your shot as it smashes into the netting behind you. Or the stumps.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    50mph. I've been playing more recently and I don't think the bowlers I face are too much faster than the slow bowlers to be honest....and I still can't play them. Oddly enough I always reflexively go on the backfoot when I'm facing pace (using the term pace loosely, considering the quality of bowlers I face) even though I have no hope whatsoever of ever playing a legitimate backfoot shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    can handle 115-120 from a bowling machine as long as it's gun barrel. Anything above that or with any kind of movement and I'm screwed. Have faced Jimmy Baker in the nets, he was bowling well within himself so probably around 110 range. Lethal bounce and leg-cut though
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 30-06-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The three quickest bowlers I've personally had the misfortune of standing with my dick in hand 19m away from them in the nets; Shane George, Dennis Hickey, Troy Corbett. George and Hickey roughly equal (145+) and skiddy (both guys roughly 5'7"). Corbett was reputedly mid 150's at his peak but I never saw him clocked to prove it, 6'3" ridiculous roaring movement away from the bat. All three far too quick than was necessary against me.

Hated facing Corbett the most even though he was the nicest bloke; being a leftie and moving the ball away from the bat, his line to me started a foot outside leg, right in my blind spot, so he rattled my ribs virtually every ball. Played some indoor with George a couple of years ago. At 38 with tight strings, busted shoulder and generally 3 sheets well before any of us rocked up to the game, was still terrifying.

EDIT: Linkage
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 30-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The fastest bloke I think I faced was Holdsworth, but I was only a kid at school. It was on AstroTurf and I opened the batting. I turned around to look at the field and the keeper was in a different postcode. Although helmets were in, it wasnt the done thing to wear them then. I thought "This bloke is kidding himself".

He wasn't. I genuinely thought I might die that day.

The other two blokes who were damn quick were Dougeh, and a bloke named Neil Jones who played two shield games for NSW. Played him on a wet deck once and it was God awful.

Objectively, Doug was probably the fastest, but by the time I played him I was in my 30s and a lot of the physical fear thing had gone. Fast blokes seem a lot faster when you're young IMO.
    Last edited by Burgey; 30-06-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    The three quickest bowlers I've personally had the misfortune of standing with my dick in hand 19m away from them in the nets; Shane George, Dennis Hickey, Troy Corbett. George and Hickey roughly equal (145+) and skiddy (both guys roughly 5'7"). Corbett was reputedly mid 150's at his peak but I never saw him clocked to prove it, 6'3" ridiculous roaring movement away from the bat. All three far too quick than was necessary against me.

Hated facing Corbett the most even though he was the nicest bloke; being a leftie and moving the ball away from the bat, his line to me started a foot outside leg, right in my blind spot, so he rattled my ribs virtually every ball. Played some indoor with George a couple of years ago. At 38 with tight strings, busted shoulder and generally 3 sheets well before any of us rocked up to the game, was still terrifying.

Always wondered what might have been with Hickey. Such a shame he had back issues. He was regarded as the fastest bowler in Australia for a few years there iirc.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

Says a lot that all the guys you mentioned all averaged over 40 in FC. It's a monstrous gap between armchair critics like us and professional cricketers, let alone Tests.

Is it a monstrous gap though or is it more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type effect?

Presumably, any delivery at 145kph with some movement landing in the right areas is going to trouble even top level batsmen.

I mean if you're bowling at that pace, the difference would presumably be a) good seam position to get consistent movement and b) hitting the correct areas 5/6 balls an over.

The difference might only be the consistency in each of those categories, where 3 good balls an over doesn't cut it, but 4 does.

Huge difference in out come, but not in actual execution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information