• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What level of pace do you consider unplayable?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
50mph. I've been playing more recently and I don't think the bowlers I face are too much faster than the slow bowlers to be honest....and I still can't play them. Oddly enough I always reflexively go on the backfoot when I'm facing pace (using the term pace loosely, considering the quality of bowlers I face) even though I have no hope whatsoever of ever playing a legitimate backfoot shot.
Haha, I always do that too. Terrible really.

Flem274*

123/5
Not sure how quick the fastest I've faced was but there were the usual 130kph whisperings. One of them I'd believe since last I heard the guy was trialling for some Rugby League club in Australia and was quite a sporting talent in general.

It doesn't take much to have me beaten for pace though. It's weird because I can see the ball and where its going and I think "get a ****ing move on with your shot and put this **** through the covers/down the ground/wherever I see it needs to go" but by the time I think that there are stumps everywhere and my hands have barely moved. It's pretty trippy.

One of the quickest I faced is the only guy to hit me in the head, and I wasn't wearing a helmet so he can't have been that quick or I'd be dead. I batted on too.:cool:

Quickest I've faced was a Border u19 quick. No clue to his pace really but you'd assume in the 120s. I get the feeling if I wasn't scared of the ball as a general rule I could more or less have reacted quick enough, but it'd be touch-and-go.
:laugh:

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
90 kph..indoor and even outdoor. I kept missing initially and i realized i was trying to play too many strokes. So start with defensive strokes and gradually work your way up. Timing gets better. Don't know if i can even defend above 100 though..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I generally end up going onto the backfoot too, except that I seem to play the cut every single delivery, no matter what the line. I've ducked and 'swayed' out of bouncers in the past, so it couldn't have been much great pace that I've faced. I mean, lets face it, this is Indian bowlers we're talking about :ph34r: Pretty sure genuine pace would have me regaining consciousness inside a CT Scan machine.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
70mph was enough for me. Got out to the same guy first ball two years in a row. He moved the ball in off the seam and hit the top of off stump both times. I didn't have time to react to the movement. Probably would have been okay if he'd been sending them down straight, or if I'd remembered the seam movement from the year before when I went out to bat the second time. Sigh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm a compulsive cover driver for some reason against anyone who has me spooked.
Yeah, me too. In fact I'm a compulsive cover driver regardless of who is bowling to be honest. Probably explains why I have never scored especially highly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
When one approaches over 75mph, then I get rather uncomfortable. Below that and I feel rather comfortable. Give me a 70mph seamer over an off spinner any day.

the big bambino

International Captain
Really have no definite idea. Gave up playing cricket in my teens and there's no one I recall being scary. Started playing indoor many years later where you can get your cricket fix without taking up too much time.

If Vernon bowls around the 125-130 mark that would be way too fast for me. So I'm guessing around 100, 105k for me; if I was still playing. I saw some guys that I thought were pretty slippery when playing indoor. I could see all of them through the air but some guys, when they hit the pitch, disappeared the bloody thing. One guy really worried me. Tall and broad shouldered he wasn't fast but I never saw it after it pitched. You can't get lbw in indoor so I just plonked myself in front of the stumps and took leg byes.

Last edited: