• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Player's County League

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
John Player's County League
1969 saw the start of regular limited overs cricket in England. In this feature Martin recalls the beginning of a new era.
For those of us coming into the game in the 1970's, the live coverage on BBC2 every Sunday was our most accessible introduction to the game. In my mind's eye, every week featured either Somerset, Hampshire or Gloucestershire, so we had a regular dose of Richards, V, Richard B or Procter. All accompanied by the peerless commentary of John Arlott. I still recall his observation of Viv playing clock cricket with some outclassed county pro - 'This remember, is a game that some people find difficult'. He didn't need to add anything about the shots themselves, as we could all see them for ourselves.

I'm trying, and failing, to remember the name of the guy who sent down his quota of eight overs for zero runs. And the name of the batsman who seemed to face most of them and couldn't get the ball off the square.