• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alistair Cookes Radio Show 'Letter from America' - anyone know about it here?

ulrichburke

Cricket Spectator
Dear Anyone.

I am from a country where cricket is not perhaps as important as in England, where I now live, and I am having an argument with my friend which you could help resolve, please?

Before he became England Cricket Captain, didn't Alistair Cooke have a radio programme called 'Letter from America?' I know I am right because I have seen his name in old program listings, yet my friend insists he didn't.

Can you just tell me I am right so I can keep my friend quiet?

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes he did, it started in 1946 apparently, but he must have changed the spelling of his name after he became England captain

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't he also sing that radio show as The Proclaimers and became two bespectacled Scottish gents to do so? Quite the multi talent, our Al.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Is it possible for new members to have to post 10 times or something before they can start a thread? :blink:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dear Anyone.

I am from a country where cricket is not perhaps as important as in England, where I now live, and I am having an argument with my friend which you could help resolve, please?

Before he became England Cricket Captain, didn't Alistair Cooke have a radio programme called 'Letter from America?' I know I am right because I have seen his name in old program listings, yet my friend insists he didn't.

Can you just tell me I am right so I can keep my friend quiet?

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke
I think his radio show was after his successful voyage to discover the great southern continent for the Empire.