• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 Indian cricketers of all-time

Top Indian Cricketers of all-time

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
With Dhoni winning every ODI tournament possible as skipper, and after trouncing Australia 4-0 at home in tests, his stature in Indian cricket is looking huge. People are touting him as a giant of the modern game.

The question is, does it make him as big a cricketer as Gavaskar or Tendulkar? Where does he stand among the greatest TEST cricketers ever produced by India?

Take a look at the poll attached to this thread. Please vote for as many names as you want but post your ranking in the thread; and explain your choices if you want.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
1. Kapil Dev
2. Gavaskar
3. Mankad
4. Hazare
5. Dhoni

bagapath

International Captain
1. Kapil Dev
2. Gavaskar
3. Mankad
4. Hazare
5. Dhoni
dont forget to vote in the poll

I went for

Gavaskar
Tendulkar
Dravid
Kumble
Mankad

Am conviced K**** D** fixed matches. So didn't vote for him.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
dont forget to vote in the poll

Am conviced K**** D** fixed matches. So didn't vote for him.
Yap, he took money to play well and play positively and make his team believe that they can win against the best teams, he took money for fielding well and maintaining good fitness at a time when our players were not too concerned about such things, he took money to win us the WC..

Seriously man, you are just an attention seeker who is passing such a comment so that everyone takes notice of you.. What next? Ganguly fixed matches because you FEEL SO?

bagapath

International Captain
Seriously man, you are just an attention seeker who is passing such a comment so that everyone takes notice of you.. What next? Ganguly fixed matches because you FEEL SO?
hahahaha. i like that rant.

but seriously, watch the 90 min documentary available on youtube made by tehelka and manoj prabhakar. each and everyone secretly filmed in that names kapil as a fixer. there seems to be universal agreement on that opinion. of course, he was my hero too when i was growing up. so it is difficult for me to say this but, sorry dude, i think he is tainted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBI4figu67c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR5UZCDn2A0

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez, had never heard that about Kapil. Genuinely hoping it's not so. A great player.

I had

Kapil
Gavaskar
Tendulkar
Dravid
Kumble.

Not sure what order - I suspect I'd put top spot between Kapil and Tendulkar. I realise my choices are very biased towards the modern era, but I confess there's a lot of excellent Indian cricketers I don't know enough about (other than that they were mighty fine players) from the earlier days, owing to my own lack of research about them.

bagapath

International Captain
Ranjit, Nawab of Pataudi(senior)
but, JBMAC, both played test cricket for England. Choosing them would open up the possibility that Ravi Bopara and Nasser Hussein were Indian too!!! If "Indian Born" is the criterion then I will take Denis Compton and Douglas Jardine any day. (And Julie Christie to play the hero's mother in our films)

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
With Dhoni winning every ODI tournament possible as skipper, and after trouncing Australia 4-0 at home in tests, his stature in Indian cricket is looking huge. People are touting him as a giant of the modern game.

The question is, does it make him as big a cricketer as Gavaskar or Tendulkar? Where does he stand among the greatest TEST cricketers ever produced by India?

Take a look at the poll attached to this thread. Please vote for as many names as you want but post your ranking in the thread; and explain your choices if you want.
Though I know most of the CW guys give importance mostly to tests, the thread title actually is contrasting with the OP for a few of us who love ODIs and T20s too, especially as you put 'tests' in caps..
Dhoni will figure in the all time top 5 for India but not in the all time test top 5 for India yet..

watson

Banned
The greatest from each decade;

50s. Vijay Hazare (Better than Merchant)
60s. Bishan Bedi ('The Ringmaster')
70s. Sunil Gavaskar (Greater than Sachin)
80s. Kapil Dev (The Greatest Indian Cricketer)
90s Sachin Tendulkar (Dravid's Boss)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Kapil
Gavaskar
Tendulkar
Dravid
Kumble.
If we're talking about Test cricket, as the OP asked us to do, then this will be my choice as well. I think Dhoni is a giant of Indian cricket though if you include all formats. I almost feel it’s unfair to ask about Test cricket only, especially for India which has a huge passion for ODI and Twenty20. Dhoni deserves to be lauded for his contributions to Indian cricket as a whole.

bagapath

International Captain
if any of you want to include ODIs and T20s in the equation, just go ahead. Yeah. I did write "TEST" in all caps to limit the thread to tests. If adding limited overs cricket will make the discussion spicier, why should I deny ourselves the pleasure?