Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ATG XI- Open Voting

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    Thought of including another paceman in 2nd Xi but couldn't exclude any of them. Barnes and Lillee to open
    Love it!
    PRE WWI
    Grace-Trumper-Hill-Taylor-Ranjitsinhji-Faulkner-Noble-Lilley-Turner-Richardson-Barnes
    PRE WWII
    Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Bradman-Hammond-Headley-Macartney-Ames-Gregory-Larwood-O'Reilly-Grimmett
    POST WWII
    Hutton-Simpson-Kanhai-Pollock-Harvey-Sobers-Waite-Benaud-Davidson-Lindwall-Trueman
    PACKER ERA
    Gavaskar-Greenidge-Richards-Chappell-Lloyd-Botham-Imran-Knott-Lillee-Holding-Underwood
    MODERN ERA
    Hayden-Langer-Ponting-Tendulkar-Lara-Kallis-Gilchrist-Marshall-Warne-Ambrose-McGrath

3rd XI:
    Rahul Dravid
    Barry Richards
    Greg Chappell
    Clyde Walcott
    Everton Weekes
    Javed Miandad*
    Farokh Engineer+
    Alan Davidson
    Shane Warne
    Joel Garner
    Courtney Walsh
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

1st XI

Jack Hobbs
    Sunil Gavaskar
    Don Bradman
    Greame Pollock
    Garry Sobers
    Adam Gilchrist
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Malcolm Marshall
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Sydney Barnes

2nd XI
    Len Hutton
    Barry Richards
    Viv Richards
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Brian Lara
    Clyde Walcott
    Keith Miller
    Shane Warne
    Curtly Ambrose
    Bill O'Reilly
    Glenn McGrath

3rd XI
    Bruce Mitchell
    Herbert Sutcliffe
    Wally Hammond
    Jacques Kallis
    George Headley
    Greg Chappell
    Kumar Sangakkara
    Fred Trueman
    Dennis Lillee
    Clarrie Grimmet
    Allan Donald
    Last edited by ankitj; 27-06-2013 at 10:09 AM.

I'm a bigger fan of Clyde Walcott (and the Three Ws generally) than most, but is everyone who is picking Walcott as the 'keeper in their All Time 2nd and 3rd XIs aware that he only kept wicket in 15 of his 44 Tests, and that his batting average while keeping was just 40?

I don't mean to be trying to influence any voting here, and it doesn't bother me who gets picked in these teams (as long as Keith Miller does, bitches), but the Walcott selections are baffling me somewhat.
    Last edited by The Sean; 27-06-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

I was about to pick Dhoni but then settled for Walcott.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    LOL, Dhoni.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    1st XI

Jack Hobbs
    Sunil Gavaskar
    Don Bradman
    Greame Pollock
    Garry Sobers
    Adam Gilchrist
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Malcolm Marshall
    Sydney Barnes
    Interesting 1st X.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. R.G Pollock 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Edited.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'm a bigger fan of Clyde Walcott (and the Three Ws generally) than most, but is everyone who is picking Walcott as the 'keeper in their All Time 2nd and 3rd XIs aware that he only kept wicket in 15 of his 44 Tests, and that his batting average while keeping was just 40?

I don't mean to be trying to influence any voting here, and it doesn't bother me who gets picked in these teams (as long as Keith Miller does, bitches), but the Walcott selections are baffling me somewhat.
    That is still 11 tests more than Barry Richards' entire test career. Every time I see his name in any all time XI I shake my head. After reading this thread I have sprained my neck.
    Last edited by bagapath; 28-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    That is still 11 tests more than Barry Richards' entire test career. Every time I see his name an all time XI I hake my head. After reading this thread I have sprained my neck.
    I know what you mean, but he was stunningly good, and comfortably the best I ever saw

Every time I have to watch my two sons (24 and 22) go off clubbing, with their boundless energy, perfect gym-honed physiques and my money jangling in their pockets the only thing that quells the envy is the thought that at least Iíve seen Barry Richards bat

bagapath and BeeGee like this.

Been very busy and tally taking longer than anticipated. Only now onto page 2 of the thread. Already some interesting results though. Hope to be finished tonight when I get home after work.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

U19 Debutant
    1st XI

Sunil Gavaskar
    Jack Hobbs
    Don B
    Tendulkar
    Lara
    Sobers
    Knott
    Malcolm Marshall
    Hadlee ( tough choice Lillee my favorite)
    Ambrose
    Murali

2nd xi

Barry Richards
    Hutton
    GHeadley
    Viv Richards
    Greg Chappell
    Imran Khan
    Gilchrist
    Lillee
    McGrath
    Holding
    Warne

2nd looks stronger
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 28-06-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Why did they only make your second XI if they are stronger?

Also, agree re: Barry Richards and Mike Proctor. They are without doubt some of the best Cricketers of all time, but without doubt no where close to the best Test Cricketers of all time in my eye, because anyone can have a good few Tests and I definitely think they are rated very highly on the basis of performing well in those Tests, I'm sure there were other South Africans in that era who have brilliant first class records but either didn't perform terrifically in their few Tests or didn't play at all. I still pick Pollock and Headley, but think a current player would need to play 80+ Tests before they could be considered so 4 is nowhere near enough.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

Also, agree re: Barry Richards and Mike Proctor. They are without doubt some of the best Cricketers of all time, but without doubt no where close to the best Test Cricketers of all time in my eye, because anyone can have a good few Tests and I definitely think they are rated very highly on the basis of performing well in those Tests, I'm sure there were other South Africans in that era who have brilliant first class records but either didn't perform terrifically in their few Tests or didn't play at all. I still pick Pollock and Headley, but think a current player would need to play 80+ Tests before they could be considered so 4 is nowhere near enough.
    Presumerably Doesitmatter reckons that Barry Richards would go OK against Marshall/Ambrose/Hadlee/Murali if his team were to play a Test match against the 1st XI. And I assume that other people who have selected Barry Richards think a similar way.

However, if you think about it, the idea that Barry Richards would go OK against Marshall/Ambrose/Hadlee/Murali is about as contentious as the idea that Jack Hobbs would go OK against Lillee/McGrath/Holding/Warne despite the fact that Hobbs played Test cricket for the best part of 20 years and Richards didn't.

In other words, what proof do you have that Marshall/Ambrose/Hadlee/Murali would knock-over Barry Richards, but Lillee/McGrath/Holding/Warne wouldn't clean-up Jack Hobbs?
    Last edited by watson; 28-06-2013 at 07:20 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

Clive Rice, Garth Le Roux, Vintcent van der Bijl.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information