• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG XI- Open Voting

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
1st XI:

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Don Bradman
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Wally Hammond
6. Garry Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist+
8. Imran Khan
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Shane Warne

2nd XI:

1. Barry Richards
2. Herbert Sutcliffe
3. George Headley
4. Brian Lara
5. Viv Richards
6. Keith Miller
7. Alan Knott+
8. Dennis Lillee
9. Bill O'Reilly
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Sydney Barnes

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
1st XI:

1. Barry Richards
2. Len Hutton
3. Don Bradman
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Wally Hammond
6. Garry Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist+
8. Imran Khan
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Shane Warne
Love this team Andy. I replaced Hobbs with Richards cos I love Barry Richards. Love the fact that all the batsmen are aggressive and that everyone in the team from #5 on is an allrounder.

watson

Banned
And would Barnes, O'Reilly, and Murali be able to spin out the first team on a typical SCG wicket with the help of Lillee and Miller?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Thought of including another paceman in 2nd Xi but couldn't exclude any of them. Barnes and Lillee to open

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
First

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman*
Graeme Pollock
Wally Hammond
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist+
Mike Procter
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

Second
Len Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar
George Headley
Jacques Kallis
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Alan Knott+
Imran Khan*
Richard Hadlee
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan
Third

Barry Richards
Bill Ponsford
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott+
Aubrey Faulkner
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald
Sydney Barnes

Dunno who would captain.. Went for Faulkner over say Miller/Botham etc. cos I needed the spin.

Actually scratch that, going for Ponsford. Both 50+ average as openers, but Ponsford scored centuries more frequently (once every 7 innings, compared to once every 10) and almost doubled Mitchell's 50-100 conversion rate.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
3rd XI:
Rahul Dravid
Barry Richards
Greg Chappell
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Javed Miandad*
Farokh Engineer+
Alan Davidson
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Courtney Walsh

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
1st XI

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Greame Pollock
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan
Sydney Barnes

2nd XI
Len Hutton
Barry Richards
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Clyde Walcott
Keith Miller
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

3rd XI
Bruce Mitchell
Herbert Sutcliffe
Wally Hammond
Jacques Kallis
George Headley
Greg Chappell
Kumar Sangakkara
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee
Clarrie Grimmet
Allan Donald

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a bigger fan of Clyde Walcott (and the Three Ws generally) than most, but is everyone who is picking Walcott as the 'keeper in their All Time 2nd and 3rd XIs aware that he only kept wicket in 15 of his 44 Tests, and that his batting average while keeping was just 40?

I don't mean to be trying to influence any voting here, and it doesn't bother me who gets picked in these teams (as long as Keith Miller does, bitches), but the Walcott selections are baffling me somewhat.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I'm a bigger fan of Clyde Walcott (and the Three Ws generally) than most, but is everyone who is picking Walcott as the 'keeper in their All Time 2nd and 3rd XIs aware that he only kept wicket in 15 of his 44 Tests, and that his batting average while keeping was just 40?

I don't mean to be trying to influence any voting here, and it doesn't bother me who gets picked in these teams (as long as Keith Miller does, bitches), but the Walcott selections are baffling me somewhat.
That is still 11 tests more than Barry Richards' entire test career. Every time I see his name in any all time XI I shake my head. After reading this thread I have sprained my neck.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That is still 11 tests more than Barry Richards' entire test career. Every time I see his name an all time XI I hake my head. After reading this thread I have sprained my neck.
I know what you mean, but he was stunningly good, and comfortably the best I ever saw

Every time I have to watch my two sons (24 and 22) go off clubbing, with their boundless energy, perfect gym-honed physiques and my money jangling in their pockets the only thing that quells the envy is the thought that at least I’ve seen Barry Richards bat

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Been very busy and tally taking longer than anticipated. Only now onto page 2 of the thread. Already some interesting results though. Hope to be finished tonight when I get home after work.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
1st XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Jack Hobbs
Don B
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Knott
Malcolm Marshall
Hadlee ( tough choice Lillee my favorite)
Ambrose
Murali

2nd xi

Barry Richards
Hutton
GHeadley
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Imran Khan
Gilchrist
Lillee
McGrath
Holding
Warne

2nd looks stronger :)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why did they only make your second XI if they are stronger?

Also, agree re: Barry Richards and Mike Proctor. They are without doubt some of the best Cricketers of all time, but without doubt no where close to the best Test Cricketers of all time in my eye, because anyone can have a good few Tests and I definitely think they are rated very highly on the basis of performing well in those Tests, I'm sure there were other South Africans in that era who have brilliant first class records but either didn't perform terrifically in their few Tests or didn't play at all. I still pick Pollock and Headley, but think a current player would need to play 80+ Tests before they could be considered so 4 is nowhere near enough.

watson

Banned

Also, agree re: Barry Richards and Mike Proctor. They are without doubt some of the best Cricketers of all time, but without doubt no where close to the best Test Cricketers of all time in my eye, because anyone can have a good few Tests and I definitely think they are rated very highly on the basis of performing well in those Tests, I'm sure there were other South Africans in that era who have brilliant first class records but either didn't perform terrifically in their few Tests or didn't play at all. I still pick Pollock and Headley, but think a current player would need to play 80+ Tests before they could be considered so 4 is nowhere near enough.
Presumerably Doesitmatter reckons that Barry Richards would go OK against Marshall/Ambrose/Hadlee/Murali if his team were to play a Test match against the 1st XI. And I assume that other people who have selected Barry Richards think a similar way.

However, if you think about it, the idea that Barry Richards would go OK against Marshall/Ambrose/Hadlee/Murali is about as contentious as the idea that Jack Hobbs would go OK against Lillee/McGrath/Holding/Warne despite the fact that Hobbs played Test cricket for the best part of 20 years and Richards didn't.

In other words, what proof do you have that Marshall/Ambrose/Hadlee/Murali would knock-over Barry Richards, but Lillee/McGrath/Holding/Warne wouldn't clean-up Jack Hobbs?

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Clive Rice, Garth Le Roux, Vintcent van der Bijl.