Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: England, Finals and the "C" word

England, Finals and the "C" word

The wait goes on and on. 5 times they have made the finals of an ICC Global ODI Trophy, and 5 times they have failed to cross the hurdle, including consecutive Champions Trophy finals at home, both times letting the opposition escape after having them on the mat.

England architects of own downfall | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

And so the wait goes on. England have now lost in the final of five global ODI tournaments - three World Cups and two Champions Trophies - and remain the only side who were involved in this event not to have won a global ODI competition.

This result will hurt. It will hurt not just because they came so close, but because they will know that they were, to a large extent, the architects of their own downfall.

With 16 balls remaining, England required only 20 more runs with six wickets in hand. They will never have a better opportunity. But then they choked like a consumptive goat wolfing a bucket of marbles to lose four wickets for three runs in 14 balls. England are in no position to chuckle at South Africa's reputation as "chokers".
    What's with England and finals? For a team that managed to live up to expectations of being pre tournament favorites till the end of first session of finals day, am sure it will be a hard pill to swallow for everyone involved in the English cricket setup.
    Last edited by Senile Sentry; 23-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    England certainly dropped their bundle.

I don't love the England team or anything but calling them ***** surely a little bit too much.. :dry

How come the T20 World Championship that England won isn't considered an ICC Global Trophy? If you aren't including that, then surely you can't include this loss, seeing as though it was a twenty over match.
    Last edited by Dan; 23-06-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I don't love the England team or anything but calling them ***** surely a little bit too much.. :dry

How come the T20 World Championship that England won isn't considered an ICC Global Trophy? If you aren't including that, then surely you can't include this loss, seeing as though it was a twenty over match.
    Edited. The whole discussion is about ODIs. And to exclude yesterday's loss just because it was a rain shortened match is sort of defeating the whole purpose of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Senile Sentry View Post
    Edited. The whole discussion is about ODIs. And to exclude yesterday's loss just because it was a rain shortened match is sort of defeating the whole purpose of discussion.
    It was difficult to understand that you were referring to ODI's when you said ICC Global Event. I see now that you have edited your original message, so yeah my point/question is no longer relevant because you've shifted the goal posts.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I think Senile Sentry is a C word.

U19 12th Man
    This is what happens when you import a bunch of South Africans to play for your country
    Senile Sentry and Garson007 like this.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    come on!! They CHOSE to move on their own
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjulian View Post
    This is what happens when you import a bunch of South Africans to play for your country
    Of the 4 listed match plus the CL match there's only 3 Saffers, Lamb, Strauus & Trott plus Hick if your going for the Southern Africa handle. Either way that card is overplayed.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjulian View Post
    Look pal, England had one South African yesterday. One. In the World T20 Final, England had three South Africans, who all played a big part in England outplaying Australia, who looked tentative and nervous in comparison.

Take your trolling elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Look pal, England had one South African yesterday. One. In the World T20 Final, England had three South Africans, who all played a big part in England outplaying Australia, who looked tentative and nervous in comparison.

Take your trolling elsewhere.
    More South Africans are better. Fully agreed.
    Daemon likes this.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I only watched the conclusion of the match due to the timezone issue. Was it me, or were the England players resoundingly boo'ed by the crowd as they were given their presentations at the end of the match?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

not being in the room with you at the time, guessing it was both
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I only watched the conclusion of the match due to the timezone issue. Was it me, or were the England players resoundingly boo'ed by the crowd as they were given their presentations at the end of the match?
    Yeah the crowd was largely Indian

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    But was there any reason for the booing? Contentious decisions or anything?

Otherwise I find Nasser Hussain's post match comments about the crowd being "fabulous" (or some similarly positive description) to be complete codswallop.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information