• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Finals and the "C" word

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
The wait goes on and on. 5 times they have made the finals of an ICC Global ODI Trophy, and 5 times they have failed to cross the hurdle, including consecutive Champions Trophy finals at home, both times letting the opposition escape after having them on the mat.

England architects of own downfall | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

And so the wait goes on. England have now lost in the final of five global ODI tournaments - three World Cups and two Champions Trophies - and remain the only side who were involved in this event not to have won a global ODI competition.

This result will hurt. It will hurt not just because they came so close, but because they will know that they were, to a large extent, the architects of their own downfall.

With 16 balls remaining, England required only 20 more runs with six wickets in hand. They will never have a better opportunity. But then they choked like a consumptive goat wolfing a bucket of marbles to lose four wickets for three runs in 14 balls. England are in no position to chuckle at South Africa's reputation as "chokers".
What's with England and finals? For a team that managed to live up to expectations of being pre tournament favorites till the end of first session of finals day, am sure it will be a hard pill to swallow for everyone involved in the English cricket setup.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't love the England team or anything but calling them ***** surely a little bit too much.. :dry

How come the T20 World Championship that England won isn't considered an ICC Global Trophy? If you aren't including that, then surely you can't include this loss, seeing as though it was a twenty over match.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I don't love the England team or anything but calling them ***** surely a little bit too much.. :dry

How come the T20 World Championship that England won isn't considered an ICC Global Trophy? If you aren't including that, then surely you can't include this loss, seeing as though it was a twenty over match.
Edited. The whole discussion is about ODIs. And to exclude yesterday's loss just because it was a rain shortened match is sort of defeating the whole purpose of discussion.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Edited. The whole discussion is about ODIs. And to exclude yesterday's loss just because it was a rain shortened match is sort of defeating the whole purpose of discussion.
It was difficult to understand that you were referring to ODI's when you said ICC Global Event. I see now that you have edited your original message, so yeah my point/question is no longer relevant because you've shifted the goal posts.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
This is what happens when you import a bunch of South Africans to play for your country
Of the 4 listed match plus the CL match there's only 3 Saffers, Lamb, Strauus & Trott plus Hick if your going for the Southern Africa handle. Either way that card is overplayed.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This is what happens when you import a bunch of South Africans to play for your country
Look pal, England had one South African yesterday. One. In the World T20 Final, England had three South Africans, who all played a big part in England outplaying Australia, who looked tentative and nervous in comparison.

Take your trolling elsewhere.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Look pal, England had one South African yesterday. One. In the World T20 Final, England had three South Africans, who all played a big part in England outplaying Australia, who looked tentative and nervous in comparison.

Take your trolling elsewhere.
More South Africans are better. Fully agreed.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I only watched the conclusion of the match due to the timezone issue. Was it me, or were the England players resoundingly boo'ed by the crowd as they were given their presentations at the end of the match?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I only watched the conclusion of the match due to the timezone issue. Was it me, or were the England players resoundingly boo'ed by the crowd as they were given their presentations at the end of the match?
Yeah the crowd was largely Indian

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But was there any reason for the booing? Contentious decisions or anything?

Otherwise I find Nasser Hussain's post match comments about the crowd being "fabulous" (or some similarly positive description) to be complete codswallop.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep.

There was a discussion about this in the Champions Trophy thread (i.e. booing of Ravi Bopara by the Indian fans, the Tebitt test etc.). Speaking from experience, if you're brought up in a household which supports India, it's incredibly unlikely that you'll cheer on another team. Just like you often (not always of course) follow your family's politics, religion, football team etc.

Also for some its one of the few links to their heritage. And importantly, India are literally no good at any other sport that matters, so they'll likely (unless they're a hater for no reason) support their country of birth/citizenship in every other sport except cricket.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was at the game. Actually at the start when all the player names were read out, every England player was booed except Bopara. But during the match Bopara was called a traitor and booed. People are entitled to support who they want, end off. It's a complex culture. India not being good at any other sports, well cricket is their national sport which they dominate. Do England dominate their national sport, far from it.

Actually after having spoken to quite a few people, a lot will be supporting Australia in the ashes. Again, you are entitled to back who u want.