• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Finals and the "C" word

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know its a bit different, but I have to pretty much rev myself up for state of origin now, having lived in qld for over 10 years I can't hate the team anymore. still go for nsw, but it doesn't really bother me. I know you support india and that's fine, but I can't remember you being rabid (other than for kohli) when aus has played india. if you passionately hated australia when we played, i'd think you had problems. more problems anyway.
Hmmmmm, so where do I sit in all this then??. I've lived here for 20+ years and when it comes to cricket I most definitely fall into the "Anyone but Australia" group. Wouldn't use the word "hate", that's just ridiculous, but I'm certainly not a fan.

So does that make me an ungrateful bastard who should **** off home?? I have my reasons and justifications which I won't bore you all with (yet:ph34r:) but I'm happy and comfortable to consider myself an Aussie in every way, except for sport.....and all the time my ass points to the ground that will never change.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Nah, It's just way too much fun living a great life in the sun in a terrific country and taking the whole thing for granted........stuff dreams are made of Uvo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know its a bit different, but I have to pretty much rev myself up for state of origin now, having lived in qld for over 10 years I can't hate the team anymore. still go for nsw, but it doesn't really bother me. I know you support india and that's fine, but I can't remember you being rabid (other than for kohli) when aus has played india. if you passionately hated australia when we played, i'd think you had problems. more problems anyway.
Yeah I obviously don't rabidly hate the Australian cricket team (and support Australia in every other sport), and I know you acknowledged your state of origin point is different anyway, but where your state of origin point differs to the Indian cricket team is that British/Australian born peeps with Indian descent who support India often (not always) have very little/minimal connection with their Indian culture. Particularly if they are 2nd or 3rd generation. May have gone to a school with no kids of Indian descent (me), may very rarely get to visit India etc. Hence the Indian cricket team is a connection to your ethnicity and family roots. This is especially the case if your family are big cricket fans so were supporting India when you were 4-5 years old and growing up watching cricket. Also, as I said, the fact India suck in every other sport plays a massive part in this.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting topic this, and I can relate to the wanting to identify with your heritage like Jono is saying. Although he is talking about Australian or English Indians who may be 2nd or 3rd generation, it is not too different to me who has spent more than half my life now is a "foreigner" in another country.

In the first few years I lived here I never really thought much about "home", I was more than content being out of the joint and just living my life here. As time has gone on though I find myself craving links to Blighty, sometimes in the most bizarre ways. I've started listening to English radio stations, just to hear Pommy voices and even watch "escape to the country" regularly......a show that really bores me ****less but just to see some English countryside. I'm not sure if my passion for cricket is a result or the cause tbh.

The other thing and again it is possibly the same for Asians living in Western countries is that you never truly "belong". In Australia I'll always be a POM, and that's fine......I quite like it. But when I do go back to Blighty they think of me as an Aussie, it's like I don't have a real place called home any more. I was absolutely mortified last Ashes series when I was out in a pub in Adelaide, I was pretty pissed and walked into the toilet and there were a couple of pissed English fans and I said "how'd you enjoy the day at the cricket" I wasn't wearing any of my England clobber and these POMS just got into me!!! "Bet we enjoyed it more than you convict" and **** like this!! TBF all 3 of us were that hammered none of us were probably making much sense, it was all friendly banter but I couldn't convince these guys I was English at all.........I went back to my motel with the ****s on big time!!!

the big bambino

International Captain
Indians are brought up to be uber nationalists and culture chauvinist (our culture and "sanskar" are great. West and middle east are rotten. yada yada). I was one uber nationalist myself and I cringe now looking back at some poetry I had written on praising India and its culture back in high school. Thankfully I have gotten over that. Many Indian just cannot.
That's interesting and explains a little why India, now so influential, is getting a reputation Americans abroad once had.

As to one aspect of the topic I'd support Oz even if I lived in another country. Would expect my children to support their new country though.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd support Oz even if I lived in another country.Would expect my children to support their new country though.
If they were born in this new country, not if they moved there as well??

Both my kids were born in Oz, and are as true blue Aussie as you can get..........I wouldn't have it any other way. Although with an Aussie wife in the house as well I do become a bit of an outcast at home during Ashes time!!

the big bambino

International Captain
If they were born in this new country, not if they moved there as well??

Both my kids were born in Oz, and are as true blue Aussie as you can get..........I wouldn't have it any other way. Although with an Aussie wife in the house as well I do become a bit of an outcast at home during Ashes time!!
Either. Hope your wife and kids have plenty of reasons to razz you in the next few months.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gosh what a terrible set of opinions this thread contains.

Can't help but miss Jono though. A powerhouse in threads like this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
LOL, you are seriously making things up, aren't you?
I have a mate here called Ish Sodhi and he's always supported New Zealand (over India) and soon may play for the black caps.
No one's ever called him a traitor. He's always got encouragement from his family and friends! This is just one example.

Seriously where have you come up with this? If there are people like that, then they are in a very small minority.
WTF cm? You friends with an international cricketer and you never told us? :@

centurymaker

International Captain
Walked past Trent Boult few days back. He was casually walking in a mall with his partner a metre behind him pushing a stroller carrying their baby.

Said hi Trent as I went past and he said hi back with a gentle smile.

Compare this to Indian players, who are so ****ing egotistic that if I saw them, I would never even want to wave at them (most of them), let alone talk to them. Their attitude is so utterly awful! Kohli being the worst of the lot.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
kohli got a haircut in hamilton centerplace last time they were here and apparently his wife was not impressed with the fans milling around lol why you would get your hair cut in the literal middle of hamilton if you wanted to avoid the public idk

tbf i firmly think cricketers should be left alone outside the ground. richie mccaw having to do his groceries at midnight shouldnt be a thing.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Walked past Trent Boult few days back. He was casually walking in a mall with his partner a metre behind him pushing a stroller carrying their baby.

Said hi Trent as I went past and he said hi back with a gentle smile.

Compare this to Indian players, who are so ****ing egotistic that if I saw them, I would never even want to wave at them (most of them), let alone talk to them. Their attitude is so utterly awful! Kohli being the worst of the lot.
I don’t blame them tbh, they constantly get approached when outside. It must be pretty annoying when you can’t step outside your home just to have a walk without being disturbed.

I mean they do owe all the wealth they’ve accumulated to these people but still.