Thread: England, Finals and the "C" word

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Great article, Jono.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    GIMH wac

Tournaments Won: 1
    It was in reply to ankitj.

@Hedger's earlier post.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The booing and general behaviour towards Bopara and the rest of the team pissed me off. But those that say that you haven't integrated into society if you support the English/NZ/Australian team are ignorant.
    I know its a bit different, but I have to pretty much rev myself up for state of origin now, having lived in qld for over 10 years I can't hate the team anymore. still go for nsw, but it doesn't really bother me. I know you support india and that's fine, but I can't remember you being rabid (other than for kohli) when aus has played india. if you passionately hated australia when we played, i'd think you had problems. more problems anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Haha ah sorry mate. Genuine mistake - I thought it was odd that Jono had contribute something of use. Makes sense, of course, that he didnt.

Mods, please can you ban Jono for this deceit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    I know its a bit different, but I have to pretty much rev myself up for state of origin now, having lived in qld for over 10 years I can't hate the team anymore. still go for nsw, but it doesn't really bother me. I know you support india and that's fine, but I can't remember you being rabid (other than for kohli) when aus has played india. if you passionately hated australia when we played, i'd think you had problems. more problems anyway.
    Hmmmmm, so where do I sit in all this then??. I've lived here for 20+ years and when it comes to cricket I most definitely fall into the "Anyone but Australia" group. Wouldn't use the word "hate", that's just ridiculous, but I'm certainly not a fan.

So does that make me an ungrateful bastard who should **** off home?? I have my reasons and justifications which I won't bore you all with (yet) but I'm happy and comfortable to consider myself an Aussie in every way, except for sport.....and all the time my ass points to the ground that will never change.
    Last edited by Adders; 28-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.

piss off you ungrateful bastard

Nah, It's just way too much fun living a great life in the sun in a terrific country and taking the whole thing for granted........stuff dreams are made of Uvo.

i'd think you had problems. more problems anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Haha ah sorry mate. Genuine mistake - I thought it was odd that Jono had contribute something of use. Makes sense, of course, that he didnt.

Mods, please can you ban Jono for this deceit. Thanks.
    Scathing

Yeah I obviously don't rabidly hate the Australian cricket team (and support Australia in every other sport), and I know you acknowledged your state of origin point is different anyway, but where your state of origin point differs to the Indian cricket team is that British/Australian born peeps with Indian descent who support India often (not always) have very little/minimal connection with their Indian culture. Particularly if they are 2nd or 3rd generation. May have gone to a school with no kids of Indian descent (me), may very rarely get to visit India etc. Hence the Indian cricket team is a connection to your ethnicity and family roots. This is especially the case if your family are big cricket fans so were supporting India when you were 4-5 years old and growing up watching cricket. Also, as I said, the fact India suck in every other sport plays a massive part in this.

Interesting topic this, and I can relate to the wanting to identify with your heritage like Jono is saying. Although he is talking about Australian or English Indians who may be 2nd or 3rd generation, it is not too different to me who has spent more than half my life now is a "foreigner" in another country.

In the first few years I lived here I never really thought much about "home", I was more than content being out of the joint and just living my life here. As time has gone on though I find myself craving links to Blighty, sometimes in the most bizarre ways. I've started listening to English radio stations, just to hear Pommy voices and even watch "escape to the country" regularly......a show that really bores me ****less but just to see some English countryside. I'm not sure if my passion for cricket is a result or the cause tbh.

The other thing and again it is possibly the same for Asians living in Western countries is that you never truly "belong". In Australia I'll always be a POM, and that's fine......I quite like it. But when I do go back to Blighty they think of me as an Aussie, it's like I don't have a real place called home any more. I was absolutely mortified last Ashes series when I was out in a pub in Adelaide, I was pretty pissed and walked into the toilet and there were a couple of pissed English fans and I said "how'd you enjoy the day at the cricket" I wasn't wearing any of my England clobber and these POMS just got into me!!! "Bet we enjoyed it more than you convict" and **** like this!! TBF all 3 of us were that hammered none of us were probably making much sense, it was all friendly banter but I couldn't convince these guys I was English at all.........I went back to my motel with the ****s on big time!!!

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Indians are brought up to be uber nationalists and culture chauvinist (our culture and "sanskar" are great. West and middle east are rotten. yada yada). I was one uber nationalist myself and I cringe now looking back at some poetry I had written on praising India and its culture back in high school. Thankfully I have gotten over that. Many Indian just cannot.
    That's interesting and explains a little why India, now so influential, is getting a reputation Americans abroad once had.

As to one aspect of the topic I'd support Oz even if I lived in another country. Would expect my children to support their new country though.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 01-07-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I'd support Oz even if I lived in another country.Would expect my children to support their new country though.
    If they were born in this new country, not if they moved there as well??

Both my kids were born in Oz, and are as true blue Aussie as you can get..........I wouldn't have it any other way. Although with an Aussie wife in the house as well I do become a bit of an outcast at home during Ashes time!!

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    If they were born in this new country, not if they moved there as well??

Both my kids were born in Oz, and are as true blue Aussie as you can get..........I wouldn't have it any other way. Although with an Aussie wife in the house as well I do become a bit of an outcast at home during Ashes time!!
    Either. Hope your wife and kids have plenty of reasons to razz you in the next few months.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information