• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Finals and the "C" word

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nice try, but there was no "threat." In fact, a patient abusing staff is not looked to kindly upon, then again, your mouth would be zipped then wouldn't it? Only on the web.
It's clear what you were insinuating. Let's not pretend otherwise. But yes, as Paris Brown can attest to, what happens on the Web, stays on the Web.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
How's about Nasser Hussain, Tendulkar 200*? Born in Madras, but do you think he supports anyone other than England? Also, I don't ever recall Hussain being booed playing in England for England. I would suggest that these chaps booing the England team for no reason are a bunch of syphilitic ****s.
Nasser is half white. Very different. Also he is not from the regions that the majority of UK Brit Indians are from.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad it's over. Absolute BS.

I have one advice for you, if you were being serious, then you really need to do some self-introspection.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Well I haven't read through this thread but any c**king thread that doesn't involve South Africa is a good c**king thread to me.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So basically it's only a tiny minority of young bloods like tendulkar200* who are behind it all. Glad he got banned.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
**** that's a good article and pretty much sums up my views on the whole thing.

The booing and general behaviour towards Bopara and the rest of the team pissed me off. But those that say that you haven't integrated into society if you support the English/NZ/Australian team are ignorant.

He had failed to understand that many of us whose parents had come from South Asia to the UK have complex identities. We were proud to be British but also proud of our Indian roots. And cricket was where we could display that part of our identity.
Well said. The tebitt test is a disgraceful idea, however the below behaviour is also disgraceful:

While I was standing in the queue to get a drink, an elderly England fan turned to me and asked: "Why are you giving Bopara such a hard time?"

Before I could answer, a young Indian fan replied: "We hate him as he plays for England. He is a disgrace." He then quickly rushed off back to the match.
He was not wearing an Indian top or carrying India's flag. He was proudly wearing an England shirt with the name of his favourite player, Monty Panesar, on the back. Every time England took a wicket he jumped up from his seat to cheer. England's Monty Panesar in action

That did not go down well with some of the Indian fans. About five moved to some seats closer to him and began chanting "spot the sell-out". Another shouted "coconut" - a derogatory term that means you are brown on the outside but white inside.
These Indian fans need to be clocked asap. That is just disgraceful behaviour and if I was there I'd have ****ing launched at them. I really hope I never see that here in Australia.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Indians are brought up to be uber nationalists and culture chauvinist (our culture and "sanskar" are great. West and middle east are rotten. yada yada). I was one uber nationalist myself and I cringe now looking back at some poetry I had written on praising India and its culture back in high school. Thankfully I have gotten over that. Many Indian just cannot.

MrPrez

International Debutant
In South Africa everyone is brought up to say that our country is poor, when it isn't nearly as bad to deal with as people make out.

uvelocity

International Coach
The booing and general behaviour towards Bopara and the rest of the team pissed me off. But those that say that you haven't integrated into society if you support the English/NZ/Australian team are ignorant.
I know its a bit different, but I have to pretty much rev myself up for state of origin now, having lived in qld for over 10 years I can't hate the team anymore. still go for nsw, but it doesn't really bother me. I know you support india and that's fine, but I can't remember you being rabid (other than for kohli) when aus has played india. if you passionately hated australia when we played, i'd think you had problems. more problems anyway.