• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Finals and the "C" word

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Anyone who believes someone like Ravi is "shunning his roots" must be incredibly small minded. If I ever had a son, or daughter, who for whatever reason grew up overseas and managed to make the grade to play a sport professionally at an international level for the country where they had been resident for most of their life, I'd be incredibly proud and right behind him. Anyone who takes an opposing view is quite frankly incapable of engaging in independent thought, or simply hasn't the humility to try.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone who believes someone like Ravi is "shunning his roots" must be incredibly small minded. If I ever had a son, or daughter, who for whatever reason grew up overseas and managed to make the grade to play a sport professionally at an international level for the country where they had been resident for most of their life, I'd be incredibly proud and right behind him. Anyone who takes an opposing view is quite frankly incapable of engaging in independent thought, or simply hasn't the humility to try.
That's incredibly kind actually. For me they are downright ****s.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
So it's just you and your friends then :P Glad you cleared that up :)
In my life throughout childhood, school, university and now working in healthcare this has been the overwhelming opinion. A guy from NZ is no position otherwise to reflect on the position of British Asians. If you think it was just "me and my tearaway friends" booing at the ground for it to be audible lol. I wasn't booing for the record, as mentioned I couldn't care less who he plays for. I still maintain he supports India as 99% of British Asians do. I highly doubt he was in that minority and his idol is Tendulkar, not Atherton/Gower.

For your information, I went to the game with English and Indian supporters and had a wonderful time. You would expect them to understand the culture better than you.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
How does supporting Tendulkar make him an Indian supporter? I don't see any logic. I am 99% sure :P he supports England over India since he grew up in England and PLAYS for England. Furthermore, he probably has a number of mates in the English circuit and the English team, so I don't see any British Indian in his position supporting India over England.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering what you've said, I think you probably hang around with the most aggrieved and bigoted people ever, assuming that you do hang around with enough :P

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
How does supporting Tendulkar make him an Indian supporter? I don't see any logic. I am 99% sure :P he supports England over India since he grew up in England and PLAYS for England. Furthermore, he probably has a number of mates in the English circuit and the English team, so I don't see any British Indian in his position supporting India over England.
Mr Centurymaker, as previously mentioned, you are from NZ. You have absolutely no idea how it works over here and are simply making assumptions. See my previous post. I was talking about all the British Asians born here obviously, like me. Yet you are blabbering on about him growing up in England so he supports England. 8-) I guess all the majority of those Indian fans at Edgbaston flew in from India did they? Or recently migrated?

You have absolutely no idea and FYI I have moved into many diverse areas due to my job so have come across a wide spectrum of people.

If you think you can switch off your feelings for your country then you are crazy :laugh:

uvelocity

International Coach
Mr Centurymaker, as previously mentioned, you are from NZ. You have absolutely no idea how it works over here and are simply making assumptions. See my previous post. I was talking about all the British Asians born here obviously, like me. Yet you are blabbering on about him growing up in England so he supports England. 8-) I guess all the majority of those Indian fans at Edgbaston flew in from India did they? Or recently migrated?

You have absolutely no idea and FYI I have moved into many diverse areas due to my job so have come across a wide spectrum of people.

If you think you can switch off your feelings for your country then you are crazy :laugh:
well that's your problem right there. if you love a country enough to make it your new home, it is your country. you might support the one you were born in, but wouldn't by omission make the new country "not yours."

if you were born in a country different to your parents or further back, and considered the country they were born in as yours, you have a particularly twisted viewpoint and i would suggest difficulty in finding any fulfilment in life whatsoever.

uvelocity

International Coach
and i mean i find the whole idea of nationalism very simpleminded. when i was a child i was feverent, but having experienced more people who happen to live in the same place, half of them are ****s anyway

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How's about Nasser Hussain, Tendulkar 200*? Born in Madras, but do you think he supports anyone other than England? Also, I don't ever recall Hussain being booed playing in England for England. I would suggest that these chaps booing the England team for no reason are a bunch of syphilitic ****s.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
How's about Nasser Hussain, Tendulkar 200*? Born in Madras, but do you think he supports anyone other than England? Also, I don't ever recall Hussain being booed playing in England for England. I would suggest that these chaps booing the England team for no reason are a bunch of syphilitic ****s.
Careful, you wouldn't want to end up on the wrong end of a Hippocratic oath-violating threat.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In my life throughout childhood, school, university and now working in healthcare this has been the overwhelming opinion. A guy from NZ is no position otherwise to reflect on the position of British Asians. If you think it was just "me and my tearaway friends" booing at the ground for it to be audible lol. I wasn't booing for the record, as mentioned I couldn't care less who he plays for. I still maintain he supports India as 99% of British Asians do. I highly doubt he was in that minority and his idol is Tendulkar, not Atherton/Gower.

For your information, I went to the game with English and Indian supporters and had a wonderful time. You would expect them to understand the culture better than you.
So his cricket idol isn't an Englishmen? Neither is mine but I still support England.

And you really need to stop and think about this for a moment. He may have supported India when he was a kid, but it's different once you start playing for your country. I care more about my local clubs fortunes more than the national sides. And that isn't because I have a much stronger love for a small area in North London relative to the whole country, it's because I have friends who play for them, work my socks off to help them do well as it helps me too, and just in general support them having followed and played for them for a number of years. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bopara supports India over all the other teams, but there's something seriously not right in your head if you think, say, Bopara wanted India to win their test series against England last November/December.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant

Considering the substantial amount of British Asian are not in fact India I have significant doubts towards the accuracy of this claim.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
there's something seriously not right in your head if you think, say, Bopara wanted India to win their test series against England last November/December.
It's also seriously insults Bopara's professionalism and integrity, which is totally unjustified.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
One wonders what your employers would make of this sort of threat.
Nice try, but there was no "threat." In fact, a patient abusing staff is not looked to kindly upon, then again, your mouth would be zipped then wouldn't it? Only on the web.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
Considering the substantial amount of British Asian are not in fact India I have significant doubts towards the accuracy of this claim.
Yeah you know what I meant. British Indian-99% will support India. Or British Asian (India, Pak, Bang)-99% will support their home country. Touche on the choice of home.