Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: England, Finals and the "C" word

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendulkar_200* View Post
    I am talking about British Asians/Indians not NZ lol. Any one who has grown up here or indeed been to any game, will know the majority of British Indians support India over England. So if you think Ravi Bopara was somehow different growing up then you don't know much about the culture. The booing is evidence of how strongly the crowd felt. It's not the first time either so I am shocked you are shocked. Sajid Mahmood got a hard time from Pak fans when representing England. It has happened before.

What exact "minority" are you referring to? The number of British Indians who support India over England is a minority? That's clearly far from a minority. I have all sorts of British Indians on my facebook from many professions and a lot had written similar things about Bopara.

Personally I couldn't care less. I am surprised he is playing for them though despite being an Indian fan.
    Answer; de-friend idiots on facebook.

I mean, are you seriously telling me you would rather not play international cricket, than not play for India, even if you had lived in a different country your whole life? Christ, I'd play for India in a heartbeat if it meant I could have an international cricket career, and I haven't even visited the place. Expecting a player to refuse to represent the country of his birth, the place he's grown up, and what he considers home, just because it's different to his older family's heritage, is one of the craziest things I've heard for a while. Seriously, what the ****?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

School Boy/Girl Captain Tendulkar_200*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Answer; de-friend idiots on facebook.

I mean, are you seriously telling me you would rather not play international cricket, than not play for India, even if you had lived in a different country your whole life? Christ, I'd play for India in a heartbeat if it meant I could have an international cricket career, and I haven't even visited the place. Expecting a player to refuse to represent the country of his birth, the place he's grown up, and what he considers home, just because it's different to his older family's heritage, is one of the craziest things I've heard for a while. Seriously, what the ****?
    Hey mate, this is just me, not sure if other British Indians would feel the same. I mean they booed Bopara (unfairly) yet I believe they themselves may represent England.

Yes I am seriously saying that. There is a great deal of honour and prestige when playing international cricket. My heroes are Indian and I would want to play for them and get an indian test cap. I wouldn't feel the same playing for England and I don't think I am alone in this.

I would slug it on in county cricket, ranji and IPL. Try to play for India or continue with domestic. I would want to feel passionate about the nation I am representing, not just play international cricket like a mercenary.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    So it's just you and your friends then :P Glad you cleared that up
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah true. Apologies if I caused any offence (except to you, I hope I did offend you)
    Lol

I have this Tendulkar_200* bloke on ignore (forgot the fact he was on ignore and why, just noticed it now). But considering he said Bopara probably still supports India in the cricket, I think that justifies why.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Lol

I have this Tendulkar_200* bloke on ignore (forgot the fact he was on ignore and why, just noticed it now). But considering he said Bopara probably still supports India in the cricket, I think that justifies why.
    Do we know for a fact Ravi supports India? I know Sachin is his hero but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not an England fan. Not that I know either way.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    It's pretty clear that Ravi Bopara doesn't support India. He plays for England! duh :P (He wasn't even born in India)

It's like saying KP, Trott and co support South Africa.

Do we know for a fact Ravi supports India? I know Sachin is his hero but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not an England fan. Not that I know either way.
    Did you misinterpret my post or are you being sarcastic? I was mocking Tendulkar_200 for suggesting that Ravi supports India ahead of England in the cricket. It is probably the most ludicrous thing ever said on this forum.

Did you misinterpret my post or are you being sarcastic? I was mocking Tendulkar_200 for suggesting that Ravi supports India ahead of England in the cricket. It is probably the most ludicrous thing ever said on this forum.
    Misinterpreted haha.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendulkar_200* View Post
    Hey mate, this is just me, not sure if other British Indians would feel the same. I mean they booed Bopara (unfairly) yet I believe they themselves may represent England.

Yes I am seriously saying that. There is a great deal of honour and prestige when playing international cricket. My heroes are Indian and I would want to play for them and get an indian test cap. I wouldn't feel the same playing for England and I don't think I am alone in this.

I would slug it on in county cricket, ranji and IPL. Try to play for India or continue with domestic. I would want to feel passionate about the nation I am representing, not just play international cricket like a mercenary.
    agreed

Misinterpreted haha.
    The most ludicrous thing ever said On the forum, though, was when RVD986654321 said 'the winner of BOTM is Jono'

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Anyone who believes someone like Ravi is "shunning his roots" must be incredibly small minded. If I ever had a son, or daughter, who for whatever reason grew up overseas and managed to make the grade to play a sport professionally at an international level for the country where they had been resident for most of their life, I'd be incredibly proud and right behind him. Anyone who takes an opposing view is quite frankly incapable of engaging in independent thought, or simply hasn't the humility to try.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Anyone who believes someone like Ravi is "shunning his roots" must be incredibly small minded. If I ever had a son, or daughter, who for whatever reason grew up overseas and managed to make the grade to play a sport professionally at an international level for the country where they had been resident for most of their life, I'd be incredibly proud and right behind him. Anyone who takes an opposing view is quite frankly incapable of engaging in independent thought, or simply hasn't the humility to try.
    That's incredibly kind actually. For me they are downright ****s.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    That's incredibly kind actually. For me they are downright ****s.
    Haha, yes, quite. I think it is safe to say they probably reside at the lower end of the social spectrum, however one puts it.
    centurymaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    So it's just you and your friends then :P Glad you cleared that up
    In my life throughout childhood, school, university and now working in healthcare this has been the overwhelming opinion. A guy from NZ is no position otherwise to reflect on the position of British Asians. If you think it was just "me and my tearaway friends" booing at the ground for it to be audible lol. I wasn't booing for the record, as mentioned I couldn't care less who he plays for. I still maintain he supports India as 99% of British Asians do. I highly doubt he was in that minority and his idol is Tendulkar, not Atherton/Gower.

For your information, I went to the game with English and Indian supporters and had a wonderful time. You would expect them to understand the culture better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha, yes, quite. I think it is safe to say they probably reside at the lower end of the social spectrum, however one puts it.
    I'll bear that in mind when you are wheeled in with an acute emergency haha.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information