• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Finals and the "C" word

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
That's all well and good but how does it justify booing Bopara, or calling him a traitor? Its not on.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's all well and good but how does it justify booing Bopara, or calling him a traitor? Its not on.
It's a difficult one. A lot of people I spoke to said by playing for England he is shunning India. But realistically could he play for India? No. Does he support India? Probably did and still does. I guess his own circumstances led him to play for England. Some Indian fans were saying he shouldn't play international cricket if he can't play for India.

Whilst I agree with that statement (as I can only play for a country I passionately support) I don't agree with booing him. I am sure some of these guys would be playing for England if they were good enough and wouldn't turn them down.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a difficult one. A lot of people I spoke to said by playing for England he is shunning India. But realistically could he play for India? No. Does he support India? Probably did and still does. I guess his own circumstances led him to play for England. Some Indian fans were saying he shouldn't play international cricket if he can't play for India.

Whilst I agree with that statement (as I can only play for a country I passionately support) I don't agree with booing him. I am sure some of these guys would be playing for England if they were good enough and wouldn't turn them down.
Complete fail logic.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

LOL, you are seriously making things up, aren't you?
I have a mate here called Ish Sodhi and he's always supported New Zealand (over India) and soon may play for the black caps.
No one's ever called him a traitor. He's always got encouragement from his family and friends! This is just one example.

Seriously where have you come up with this? If there are people like that, then they are in a very small minority.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
LOL, you are seriously making things up, aren't you?
I have a mate here called Ish Sodhi and he's always supported New Zealand (over India) and soon may play for the black caps.
No one's ever called him a traitor. He's always got encouragement from his family and friends! This is just one example.

Seriously where have you come up with this? If there are people like that, then they are in a very small minority.
I am talking about British Asians/Indians not NZ lol. Any one who has grown up here or indeed been to any game, will know the majority of British Indians support India over England. So if you think Ravi Bopara was somehow different growing up then you don't know much about the culture. The booing is evidence of how strongly the crowd felt. It's not the first time either so I am shocked you are shocked. Sajid Mahmood got a hard time from Pak fans when representing England. It has happened before.

What exact "minority" are you referring to? The number of British Indians who support India over England is a minority? That's clearly far from a minority. I have all sorts of British Indians on my facebook from many professions and a lot had written similar things about Bopara.

Personally I couldn't care less. I am surprised he is playing for them though despite being an Indian fan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was at the game. Actually at the start when all the player names were read out, every England player was booed except Bopara. But during the match Bopara was called a traitor and booed. People are entitled to support who they want, end off. It's a complex culture. India not being good at any other sports, well cricket is their national sport which they dominate. Do England dominate their national sport, far from it.

Actually after having spoken to quite a few people, a lot will be supporting Australia in the ashes. Again, you are entitled to back who u want.
I've had a long day but...did you just say that India dominate cricket?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I am talking about British Asians/Indians not NZ lol. Any one who has grown up here or indeed been to any game, will know the majority of British Indians support India over England. So if you think Ravi Bopara was somehow different growing up then you don't know much about the culture. The booing is evidence of how strongly the crowd felt. It's not the first time either so I am shocked you are shocked. Sajid Mahmood got a hard time from Pak fans when representing England. It has happened before.

What exact "minority" are you referring to? The number of British Indians who support India over England is a minority? That's clearly far from a minority. I have all sorts of British Indians on my facebook from many professions and a lot had written similar things about Bopara.

Personally I couldn't care less. I am surprised he is playing for them though despite being an Indian fan.
Your facebook is hardly the Cricketing census of England.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
By minority I mean very small proportion of the British Indians probably are like that. Why would any British Indian be opposed to their son, relative's son, their friend etc playing for England. They'd only feel proud of that. Ones who say things like that are probably either bigots or just joking around.

Boo'ing doesn't necessarily mean anything. 'Group mentality' can exaggerate anything. If few start boo'ing, the rest join in just instinctively in the spur of the moment. Doesn't mean ****.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I bet there are far greater number of British Indians who are proud that there is an B.Indian in the English team than people who are "unhappy" that he is playing for England

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Answer; de-friend idiots on facebook.

I mean, are you seriously telling me you would rather not play international cricket, than not play for India, even if you had lived in a different country your whole life? Christ, I'd play for India in a heartbeat if it meant I could have an international cricket career, and I haven't even visited the place. Expecting a player to refuse to represent the country of his birth, the place he's grown up, and what he considers home, just because it's different to his older family's heritage, is one of the craziest things I've heard for a while. Seriously, what the ****?

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
Answer; de-friend idiots on facebook.

I mean, are you seriously telling me you would rather not play international cricket, than not play for India, even if you had lived in a different country your whole life? Christ, I'd play for India in a heartbeat if it meant I could have an international cricket career, and I haven't even visited the place. Expecting a player to refuse to represent the country of his birth, the place he's grown up, and what he considers home, just because it's different to his older family's heritage, is one of the craziest things I've heard for a while. Seriously, what the ****?
Hey mate, this is just me, not sure if other British Indians would feel the same. I mean they booed Bopara (unfairly) yet I believe they themselves may represent England.

Yes I am seriously saying that. There is a great deal of honour and prestige when playing international cricket. My heroes are Indian and I would want to play for them and get an indian test cap. I wouldn't feel the same playing for England and I don't think I am alone in this.

I would slug it on in county cricket, ranji and IPL. Try to play for India or continue with domestic. I would want to feel passionate about the nation I am representing, not just play international cricket like a mercenary.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah true. Apologies if I caused any offence (except to you, I hope I did offend you)
Lol :p

I have this Tendulkar_200* bloke on ignore (forgot the fact he was on ignore and why, just noticed it now). But considering he said Bopara probably still supports India in the cricket, I think that justifies why.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lol :p

I have this Tendulkar_200* bloke on ignore (forgot the fact he was on ignore and why, just noticed it now). But considering he said Bopara probably still supports India in the cricket, I think that justifies why.
Do we know for a fact Ravi supports India? I know Sachin is his hero but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not an England fan. Not that I know either way.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It's pretty clear that Ravi Bopara doesn't support India. He plays for England! duh :P (He wasn't even born in India)

It's like saying KP, Trott and co support South Africa.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do we know for a fact Ravi supports India? I know Sachin is his hero but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not an England fan. Not that I know either way.
Did you misinterpret my post or are you being sarcastic? I was mocking Tendulkar_200 for suggesting that Ravi supports India ahead of England in the cricket. It is probably the most ludicrous thing ever said on this forum.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Did you misinterpret my post or are you being sarcastic? I was mocking Tendulkar_200 for suggesting that Ravi supports India ahead of England in the cricket. It is probably the most ludicrous thing ever said on this forum.
Misinterpreted haha.

ricky8741

Cricket Spectator
Hey mate, this is just me, not sure if other British Indians would feel the same. I mean they booed Bopara (unfairly) yet I believe they themselves may represent England.

Yes I am seriously saying that. There is a great deal of honour and prestige when playing international cricket. My heroes are Indian and I would want to play for them and get an indian test cap. I wouldn't feel the same playing for England and I don't think I am alone in this.

I would slug it on in county cricket, ranji and IPL. Try to play for India or continue with domestic. I would want to feel passionate about the nation I am representing, not just play international cricket like a mercenary.
agreed