Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bradman, the greatest sportsperson ever?

Bradman, the greatest sportsperson ever?

Just want your views on the topic... a lot of people(doesn't include me) rate him as the best cricketer ever and that he dominated the game like no other..
    is he the greatest sportsperson ever?
    Last edited by karan316; 18-06-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    Is this your homework Larry?

State Vice-Captain
    Yes. Who else has dominated like him? Overwhelmed everyone that has come before or after him? There's no question in my mind.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Yes. Who else has dominated like him? Overwhelmed everyone that has come before or after him? There's no question in my mind.
    Jahangir Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During that time he won 555 games consecutively, the longest winning streak by any athlete in top-level professional sports
    I mean, wtf.
    Last edited by Daemon; 18-06-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Impossible to say, really. I personally think he is, but there's no way to definitively answer the question.

I guess the best that you could say is that there is no other major sport with such a statistical outlier (Grace's astonishing early FC records notwithstanding). To get anything comparable, you'd probably have to look at squash with Heather MacKay or Jahangir Khan, or Walter Lindrum at Billiards, or something still more obscure. Wayne Gretzky's numbers were Bradmanesque for a lot of his career, though his stats came back to the field just a little as his career went on.
    Last edited by The Sean; 18-06-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

still scratching around in the same old hole
    You could certainly make a strong argument
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I'd say he is certainly in the top 3, personally i'd say he is number 1 but i'm a cricket fan.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    There is no way to accurately compare across sports, IMO. He was so far ahead of anyone else to have played the game that it is absolutely indisputable that he is the greatest batsman ever (and it is extremely hard to make a case for anyone as being a better 'cricketer'), however comparison across codes is impossible - the skills required are far too different to create any sort of concrete criteria.
    JBMAC likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    There is no way to accurately compare across sports, IMO. He was so far ahead of anyone else to have played the game that it is absolutely indisputable that he is the greatest batsman ever (and it is extremely hard to make a case for anyone as being a better 'cricketer'), however comparison across codes is impossible - the skills required are far too different to create any sort of concrete criteria.
    You can compare, to a degree, across sports statistically. Bradman's batting average is certainly so far ahead of anyone else that's ever played the game in a way that say, Chamberlain's NBA ppg record isn't.

U19 Debutant
    Purely on the ability to play the game at the super human level, Don B, Great one,Pele(Maradona),Bill Russell(Wilt,MJ),Jim Brown, Babe Ruth, Dhyan Chand(Field Hockey), Jehangir and Jansher Khan, Federer/Nadal are some of the greatest with some freakish numbers ..As a cricket fan i will say Bradman but as an Indian i might go for Dhyan Chand(man was a wizard... somebody write an article please )..But on the basis of a sportsman's impact on the lives of many people and for the social impact it has to be the Loiusville Lip..Muhammed Ali

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Heather Mackay's record dwarfs even his.

In a team sport I think the closest comparison would be Babe Ruth.
    Both played at around the same time as well. This is going to be a bad comparison but if you are only counting home runs vs batting average (what they were famous for), Ruth dominated his contemporaries more than Bradman. IIRC there were years when Ruth hit more home runs than some whole teams combined. On the other had Bradman's average was "only" twice as good as the next best.

Simple answer no. Bradman, lest we be confused (and I'm gonna get plenty of flack for this I know) was the greatest "batsman" of all time by a long long way. He didnot completely master his sport like some here like to lead on. Cricket is about 3 fundamental aspects: batting, bowling and fielding. Obviously DB is the undisputed greatest batsman but he sure as hell didnot master the other aspects of the sport. I think Ian Chappell put it best, if your gonna pick ur all time team and u pick DB, you expect him to kill u with runs but runs alone arent gonna win u a cricket match. Sportsmen I think greater than the Don would be the likes of Federer, MJ, etc. MJ didnt dominate scoring in a Bradmanesque way but at varying periods of times in his career he was the best offensive player while also being the best defensive player in the NBA. Roger Federer once reached 10 GS finals (across clay, grass and hard courts ) in a row not to mention his ridiculous streaks (ex consecutive quarters at majors, weeks at #1 etc). Again they probably didnt dominate in a single aspect like the Don but all around over various aspects of their respective sports they were awesome.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    Just want your views on the topic... a lot of people(doesn't include me) rate him as the best cricketer ever and that he dominated the game like no other..
    is he the greatest sportsperson ever?

I dont know enough about other sports to comment but I know enough about cricket and his domination in this game to feel that he will definitely belong in such discussions, whether he is in fact the greatest sportsperson or not..
    Last edited by honestbharani; 18-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Wayne Gretzky would be up there too.

I have a problem with comparing averages and aggregates statistically though, eg home runs and batting average. Charles Davis did a similar comparison in Best of the Best, but fell into the same trap IMO.

Plus I'm not convinced there's a bell curve in there for example if you just look at Test batsmen, possibly there is when you consider all people in the world that play cricket, but Test batsmen would be at the extreme right end.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Interesting question, and he's certainly in with a shout, as is WG - but for sheer dominance its difficult to look past the squash players and, if you consider darts and snooker to be sports, which I do but some don't, then Phil "The Power" Taylor and Joe Davis both deserve a mention

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information