• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's time to go, Shane Watson.

Ruckus

International Captain
I reckon give Watson the first Ashes series, with a focus on his batting. If he blows it, drop him. Or alternatively keeping playing him as a main bowler until his back breaks after which he can go crawling back to limited overs for the rest of his career.

adub

International Captain
Never been a Watson fan and struggle to disagree with the mood, but especially with Warner self destructing I can't see us not playing him and if he's bowling then I'm happy enough with it for the moment (so long as he is bowling). I certainly hear what you're saying regarding douche minimisation but at least as far as the first test goes on balance he just stays in for mine.

That said the idea of getting Ronnie Mac on the plane and playing the lead up games to prove his fitness is pretty tempting.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If only Watson had previously been to Australian cricket what Sir Beefy was to yours before 86/87.
I was going to add that exact point as an aside, and then noticed that their career averages are very similar - lies, damned lies etc

uvelocity

International Coach
just thinking, if watson had become a t20 mercenary a couple or few years ago, he'd be absolutely slated all across the country and hated rightly. but it might have been better for us if he'd done that

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
One drunken incident and Dave Warner's self destructing? Bit of an overreaction or did I miss something?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If only the selectors didn't believe in him so much, they don't think he isn't up to it any more, they just think he hasn't found his proper place in the side, it's all rubbish.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Watson's always been ****. It's amazing how filling your boots against a **** West Indian attack is enough to ensure your place for 4 years.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Watson's always been ****. It's amazing how filling your boots against a **** West Indian attack is enough to ensure your place for 4 years.
He did just as well against England the year after though. I know you don't rate Watson's last Ashes work FTR, it just makes it unfair to say he filled his boots against West Indies when he did just as well against England and Pakistan.

adub

International Captain
One drunken incident and Dave Warner's self destructing? Bit of an overreaction or did I miss something?
One drunken incident and one 'tired and emotional' tweet incident. He's almost had more visits to the disciplinary hearing than runs in the past month. I like Warner a lot and hoped he'd have a big ashes, but he's gone from certain starter and leadership aspirant to out of the side and possibly missing the entire series in a couple of weeks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the last three years, Warner has received a suspended sentence for punching on in a grade game, been reprimanded for the twitter thing and had the Joe Root incident. His ongoing behaviour and attitude are reflective of a bloke who isn't Lear ing from mistakes, and I think that's very problematic.

Most young blokes make mistakes on the sauce or with their overblown testosterone levels, but Davey seems not to be learning from his. The same applies with he batting ATM - I don't see much if an effort to learn fronm the way he's been getting out.

I think he is enormously talented, but his attitude doesn't seem to be what's required ATM.

With regards to Watson and Clarke, if they are to both play in the same side they need to get together and smoke the peace pipe a la Patty Rafter and the Poo at the 2000 Olympics.

The Dream With Roy and H.G. - Pat Rafter Interview - YouTube

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worst part is that he's already proven he can adapt his batting style and technique with sufficient motivation. Remember all the howls of derision when he was picked in the NSW FC side and said he wanted to play Tests? "Would score the fastest Test 30 ever", etc. Next thing he's scoring FC tons, is in the Test side and all but wins a Test on an utter greentop against NZ carrying his bat.

adub

International Captain
Worst part is that he's already proven he can adapt his batting style and technique with sufficient motivation. Remember all the howls of derision when he was picked in the NSW FC side and said he wanted to play Tests? "Would score the fastest Test 30 ever", etc. Next thing he's scoring FC tons, is in the Test side and all but wins a Test on an utter greentop against NZ carrying his bat.
Yep, dude can play, just has to wake the **** up to himself and get his head right. (could be a big ask)