• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the most correctly rated player ever?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think it might be Adam Gilchrist. Most people correctly rate him as a hard hitting batsman who can win tests with the bat, and as someone who isn't quite in the same league as Knott, Kirmani, Healy and Evans with the gloves, but isn't far off.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist I agree and would add Hobbs, can't think of anyone else. Think most other players are either over or under rated. Would say Richards, but many think that he is over rated.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Bradman and Gilly are probably the most correctly rated players. Though people are starting to underrate the Don..

watson

Banned
Yeah, Bradman and Gilly are probably the most correctly rated players. Though people are starting to underrate the Don..
Occasionally you'll see Allan Knott selected in an ATG team ahead of Gilchrist by some reasonably knowledgeable people. Ian Chappell and Geoff Boycott spring to mind.

Therefore, I can't help but think that Gilchrist's skill with the bat makes people forget the value of a truly brilliant keeper. Gilchrist is marginally over-rated IMO.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
None, there's always a bit of favoritism and bias involved when people rate a player, and there's nothing wrong it, but most players either end up getting underrated or overrated, especially the greats of the game.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Occasionally you'll see Allan Knott selected in an ATG team ahead of Gilchrist by some reasonably knowledgeable people. Ian Chappell and Geoff Boycott spring to mind.

Therefore, I can't help but think that Gilchrist's skill with the bat makes people forget the value of a truly brilliant keeper. Gilchrist is marginally over-rated IMO.
I'd go the other way and suggest he gets slightly underrated, because the brilliance of his batting makes people assume he was an absolute numpty with the gloves (when he definitely could wicketkeep with the best of them; by no means was his glovework of ATG standard but he wasn't an aggressive Andy Flower either). I can understand people arguing marginally either way however.

Damien Fleming feels correctly rated to me, IMO.

ajdude

International Coach
jacques kallis because every player is compared to jacques kallis (the creator of kallisball) and thus he is the benchmark(00)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it might be Adam Gilchrist. Most people correctly rate him as a hard hitting batsman who can win tests with the bat, and as someone who isn't quite in the same league as
Knott, Kirmani, Healy and Evans with the gloves, but isn't far off.

Bradman

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ambrose.

No one is the best ever fast bowler - the top is too congested. Few outwardly state Ambrose as the greatest ever but all acknowledge that he is in the mix with the elite. Few rank him outside the top echelon.