• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ties in Tests

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I have heard that there have been only 2 ties in the history of international Test Cricket. Is that true?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have heard that there have been only 2 ties in the history of international Test Cricket. Is that true?

Tied Test Matches are rare.. but Deano talking about one of them happens everytime he is on the friggin TV..

Last edited:

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Oh, the 2nd one is interesting. Australia declared twice, and too early. In this case, a win should be given to Australia, because they declared.
And follow-on should be allowed if the batting-first side is leading even 1 run. If Australia had chosen follow-on, Australia could have won.
So the 1st one is the only real tie in Test Cricket.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh, the 2nd one is interesting. Australia declared twice, and too early. In this case, a win should be given to Australia, because they declared.
And follow-on should be allowed if the batting-first side is leading even 1 run. If Australia had chosen follow-on, Australia could have won.
I have no words.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one with blood coming out of my ears?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one with blood coming out of my ears?
You can sort of see what he's saying though. The 1960 test is more of a 'pure' tie, in the sense that both teams lost their allotment of 20 wickets for the exact same number of runs. The second test ended as a tie because Australia chose to declare and set India a gettable 4th innings target.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wasn't actually aware just how fast India batted in the fourth innings to tie the game. A run rate of 3.99 back in the day was pretty outstanding.