• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman- status as the greatest batsman ever under threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
In a nutshell: While Bradman's status as the greatest batsman is increasingly under threat, no one raises an eyebrow at Garry Sobers being called the greatest allrounder.
That's from Gary (Garry) Sobers' cricinfo profile. WTF?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
We actually have debates about whether Sobers is the greatest allrounder ever (even if people do get a bit touchy about other candidates, most notably a certain South African). No such debates occur with regards to the best batsman ever.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The writer might mean that no one attempts to be batsman, finger spinner, wrist spinner and quick bowler whereas plenty try to be the greatest batsman ever - but more likely he or she is a total ****wit

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Another lame appeal (which ignores all the facts) to a particularly large cricket demographic.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think that Sachin is even the second best, so no one seriously believes he is the best.

Mister Wright

Let's not forgot that Bradman scored his runs on only two countries (Australia & England). While I'm sure he would have been fantastic in other places around the world, he never played on spinning wickets in India, pacey pitches in the West Indies or raging seamers in New Zealand. There are many factors that make Bradman the great batsman he is and he is undoubtedly the greatest batsman of his time, but who's to say he wouldn't have been Ricky Ponting like and averaged well below his career average on turning pitches in India.

I'm not saying at all that he shouldn't be rated as the greatest batsman ever, in fact I think he is, but these questions are rarely asked when we do compare him to other players.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not forgot that Bradman scored his runs on only two countries (Australia & England). While I'm sure he would have been fantastic in other places around the world, he never played on spinning wickets in India, pacey pitches in the West Indies or raging seamers in New Zealand. There are many factors that make Bradman the great batsman he is and he is undoubtedly the greatest batsman of his time, but who's to say he wouldn't have been Ricky Ponting like and averaged well below his career average on turning pitches in India.

I'm not saying at all that he shouldn't be rated as the greatest batsman ever, in fact I think he is, but these questions are rarely asked when we do compare him to other players.
I don't remember any other great batsman averaging 99.94 in Australia and England. Can't really try and mark him down for that anyway, its not his fault he never played anywhere else.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Literally 0 educated fans consider Tendulkar the best ever, this fanboy bull**** is blown way out of proportion.

harsh.ag

Ah.. I go off CW for a month, and **** hits the fan :D

What's with the new layout?

But good to see that Cricinfo authors and mods are taking their loyalty to Tendulkar fans so seriously. Heil Sachin!

On a side note, apologies to CW and especially Nufan for dropping out of the Sheep Thread without a word. Long trip. Old friends. No internet. Just good old fashioned stuff :)

Kirkut

International Regular
Viv Richards didn't like leg spinners, although a demolisher of pace bowling.

Tendulkar has no documented technical weakness, but he has a controlled aggression and wouldn't exactly go nuts after bowlers like Viv and Lara did in their primes.

Dravid hated left armers, Laxman had no idea against inswing.

Waugh brothers remained illiterate in the education of hooking and pulling, even Ajinkya Rahane has a better hook shot.

In short, I'm saying that the status of "the greatest batsman" DOES NOT EXIST. Every batsman around the world has weakness which could be a strength for the other batsman and vice versa.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Waugh brothers remained illiterate in the education of hooking and pulling, even Ajinkya Rahane has a better hook shot.
Steve Waugh could play the shot, he just opted not to because he felt it was too risky. And Mark frustrated the WI quicks by backing away and uppercutting, which was more effective because they didn't have a man out at third man for the catch.

harsh.ag

In short, I'm saying that the status of "the greatest batsman" DOES NOT EXIST. Every batsman around the world has weakness which could be a strength for the other batsman and vice versa.
I think by your criteria "The Best Batsman" does not exist. But the greatest does. To your left.

Status
Not open for further replies.