Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Your Top 20 Cricketers of all time

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar

Your Top 20 Cricketers of all time

I know we do this rating stuff a bit, but the overrated subcontinent players thread made me think about this. Who would you say are the twenty greatest cricketers of all time? Selections could be based on any criteria you like. Playing ability, influence on the game, etc etc.

Here's my first crack at a top 5:

1. Don Bradman. Peerless as a batsman, in spite of what some morons might suggest. Was not the most loved figure by all, but many speak very highly of him. Spent decades as an administrator and selector, and his opinion carried enormous weight for a very long time.

2. WG Grace. Credited with 'inventing' modern batting, particularly in regards to footwork. Was regarded as the second most most recognisable figure within the British empire during his remarkably long playing career.

3. Shane Warne. The master of cricket's most difficult craft. A genius at creating moments. Always reliable in his team's moment of need.

4. Frank Worrell. The first black man to regularly captain the West Indies. An inspirational leader, underrated cricketer and humble gentleman.

5. Imran Khan. Capable of drawing together a disparate Pakistani team as a leader. Great all rounder and highly influential in many spheres.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Yesterday was reading Smali's writeups from the last top list, nice idea Monk. Have another exercise planned after this as well.

My top 20

Garry Sobers
    Don Bradman
    Malcolm Marshall
    Jack Hobbs
    Adam Gilchrist
    Viv Richards
    Shane Warne
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Imran Khan
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    George Headley
    Dennis Lillee
    Brian Lara
    Bill O’Reilly
    Glenn McGrath
    Wally Hammond
    Curtly Ambrose
    Greg Chappell
    Syd Barnes
    Keith Miller
    Last edited by kyear2; 10-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

kyear, Hutton makes your 1st XI in your signature but can't make your top 20 while Hammond is in your 3rd XI but is in your top 20. I know they played different positions, but why is this?
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Hutton was the better batsman, but Hammond has more to offer with his sublime slip catching and more than useful bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Hutton was the better batsman, but Hammond has more to offer with his sublime slip catching and more than useful bowling.
    Would definitely not agree.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. A.C Gilchrist 7. Imran Khan 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Yesterday was reading Smali's writeups from the last top list, nice idea Monk. Have another exercise planned after this as well.
    Those were pretty decent write ups if I say so myself

And you think that Tendulkar and Warne were overall better cricketers than Imran?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

TNT
    U19 Cricketer
    Lillee
    Marshall
    Hadlee
    Imran
    McGrath
    Warne
    Ambrose
    Garner
    Wasim
    Botham
    Ponting
    Waugh S
    Viv
    Tendulkar
    chappell G
    Dravid
    Kallis
    Gilchrist
    Murali
    Styen

In no particular order.
    If you nick it walk

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    In no particular order, those I have seen:

Waqar
    Wasim
    Donald
    McGrath
    Akhtar
    Warne
    Lara
    Tendulkar
    Gilchrist
    Kallis
    S Waugh
    Ponting
    Dravid
    Steyn
    Ambrose
    Pollock
    Sanga
    Bond
    Inzi
    KP

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Would definitely not agree.
    Hammond was quite suspect againts quality fast bowling, while Hutton proved himself againts some of the best attacks of All Time while breaking Bradman's record with the great man at cover and facing Tiger O'Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Those were pretty decent write ups if I say so myself

And you think that Tendulkar and Warne were overall better cricketers than Imran?
    For me Tendulkar was a better batsman than Imran was a bowler, Imran INHO never quite dominated with the bat and ball at the same time and was never the greatest of fielders. Warne was the greatest ever spinner and quite a good slip fielder and for me impacted the game more than Imran. All quite close though.

Hammond was quite suspect againts quality fast bowling, while Hutton proved himself againts some of the best attacks of All Time while breaking Bradman's record with the great man at cover and facing Tiger O'Reilly.
    Where do you get this information about Hammond from? Which quality fast bowlers did he supposedly struggle against?

Yes, there is a perception on CW that Hammond was uncomfortable against fast-bowling, and this is why he gave up hooking in the latter part of the career. But I haven't been able to find any sources that testify to that fact. However, I did find this;

.....In May 1927, in his 24th year, Hammond descended with the Gloucestershire XI on Old Trafford. At close of play on the second day Lancashire were so cocksure of a victory early tomorrow (Whit Friday) that the Lancashire bowlers Macdonald, Richard Tyldesley and company, arranged for taxis to be in readiness to take them to the Manchester races.

Macdonald opened his attack at half-past eleven in glorious sunshine. He bowled his fastest, eager to be quick on the spot at Castle Irwell to get a good price on a "certainty". Hammond, not out overnight, actually drove the first five balls, sent at him from Macdonald's superbly rhythmical arm, to the boundary. The sixth, also, would have counted--but it was stopped by a fieldsman sent out to defend the edge of the field, in front of the sight-screen straight deep for the greatest fast bowler of the period, bowling his first over of the day and in a desperate hurry to get to the course before the odds shortened...

That day Hammond scored 187 in three hours--four 6's twenty-four 4's. He hooked Macdonald mercilessly, yes, "Wally" hooked during the first careless raptures of his youth.....

-Neville Cardus

Wisden - Walter Hammond
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I don't believe Hammond and quick bowling was a case of anything other than that frequently cited comment of Maurice Leyland's (one of a number it was attributed to but I think it was his) "none of us likes it but some don't let on"

There's also the fairly well known incident when he took a bang on the head when the WIndies bowled bodyline at England in 1933 and he was quoted as saying if that was what the game was coming to it was time he got out - I suspect he would have said that before Jardine showed him how to play it

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    And he doesnt rate Kallis even though he is in his 2nd XI
    CricZo XI - 3 Draft Winner

Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
    Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
    The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    My TOP 20 'Cricketers' on the basis of what I've witnessed and the footage we have on YouTube! & other sources. I wont go to articles and wont take people's opinions as it can be biased

Donald Bradman
    Garry Sobers
    Imran Khan
    Malcolm Marshall
    Richard Hadlee
    Shane Warne
    Graeme Pollock
    Adam Gilchrist
    Jacques Kallis
    Viv Richards
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Brian Lara
    Ricky Ponting
    Glenn McGrath
    Curtly Ambrose
    Wasim Akram
    Dale Steyn ( No, I dont think its too early to rate him and Allan Donald misses out just cause of this )
    Dennis Lillee
    Waqar Younis
    Last edited by kingkallis; 13-06-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information