Page 99 of 223 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 3333
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: **Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I guess the main issue with high backlifts is they leave you vulnerable to being beaten for pace. We've had all time greats with huge backlifts, but they're not the norm. The angle Hay's bat comes down at is also something I've been thinking about since he has to rotate the blade and get the bat down quick enough to close the gate. I'd be interested to know how he handles an inswing fast bowler like Adam Milne in the nets, and in a match situation as soon as Hay came in I would get my inswing or fast bowler on. But hey (Hay), maybe he will prove he is one of those special few who can get away with it (he definitely can in the Shield). He wouldn't be the first or the last and he has good footwork which is essential if you're going to have a backlift like that so you can at least get decisively forward or back (CdG springs to mind as someone with a Hay-esque backlift but poor footwork).
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The outcome is what matters; if you have a high backlift, you better be able to see a ball, adjust for movement and play it late. Because most with a high backlift cant.

Conversely, if you have a low backlift, you better be able to drive down the ground. Because most with a low backlift can't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    The outcome is what matters; if you have a high backlift, you better be able to see a ball, adjust for movement and play it late. Because most with a high backlift cant.

Conversely, if you have a low backlift, you better be able to drive down the ground. Because most with a low backlift can't.
    It's a bit different wiuth Hay though in that it's not so much the height of the backlift but how much there is to it - up down, up, down again - it takes up more time to do all that, which prevents him from getting his arms through and driving down the ground, something a high backlift should actually help. That's why his best shots are square off the back foot.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Had a good read of the club cricket results this morning. Taita defeated Easts away at Kilbirnie! Defeats for Easts don't come along often, so make the most of it. I think it was by 9 runs in the end - Taita's score underpinned by a 50 from Walsh and 39 from Mark Houghton. Houghton then took 3 in the Easts innings. The Dominion Post failing to credit Lance Dry's bowling figures with the couple of wickets he took on the scorecard another highlight. 3 run outs for Easts too. Another surprise was Karori being soundly beaten by Hutt Districts.

I'm a bit confused as to how things work for the 50 over tournament, but according to Cricket Wellington, the league table looks like this:

Top 4:
    Eastern Suburbs 33;
    Taita 32;
    Hutt District 27;
    Karori 24;

Repecharge 8:
    Upper Hutt 27;
    Wellington Collegians 24;
    Petone-Eastbourne 22;
    Johnsonville 20;
    Wellington U20 19;
    University 15;
    Onslow 12;
    North City 9;
    Wainuiomata 0;
    Naenae Old Boys 0
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

After this weekendís set of seventh round One-Day matches the Ewen Chatfield Cup splits into the top four and the bottom ten.

The top four play against each other in a three-match round-robin series on 14 and 21 December and 18 January to determine who will meet in the 50-over final on 26 January and at the same time the bottom 10 play the sides they havenít already played with them striving to get the last two spots in the Pearce Cup for the second half of the season.
    Disappointed Weerasundara hasn't got Johnsonville into the Pearce Cup. He's on Siddons' radar though, played okay in a virtual Firebirds trial match in the Tararua Shield yesterday -
    CricHQ | Wellington Rep., Hutt Valley vs Wellington Rep., Wellington City

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Disappointed Weerasundara hasn't got Johnsonville into the Pearce Cup. He's on Siddons' radar though, played okay in a virtual Firebirds trial match in the Tararua Shield yesterday -
    CricHQ | Wellington Rep., Hutt Valley vs Wellington Rep., Wellington City
    Lance Dry also on Siddons's radar.

Lance Dry is the radar itbt, he's a co-selector with Siddons for Wellington A -
    Provincial A | Cricket Wellington

Weerasundara hopeful he's done enough.

Lance Dry is the radar itbt, he's a co-selector with Siddons for Wellington A -
    Provincial A | Cricket Wellington
    $20 says he tries to select himself.

It would be good if Dry suggested they have a look at this Taita 17-year-old Chander Ravi in the National A tournament in a couple of weeks, actually. More for the immediate sake of Bradburn's U19s than Welllington per se, who will probably feel compelled to boom it with Elliott at 3 for several more years.

More of a composed anchoring bat than RW, he had a very good 92(148) knock against Easts for the U20s. There he is getting out in the Gillette Cup last week, but I see he made a dominant 124 a day or two later -
    Gillette Cup Scots College v Otago BHS. Highlights Ver 1. 11-12-2013. - YouTube

So yeah, a pair of Asian Wellingtonians could be opening in an U19 World Cup. We haven't brought so much to the table since Franklin and JP McNamee's 1998 heroics.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    It would be good if Dry suggested they have a look at this Taita 17-year-old Chander Ravi in the National A tournament in a couple of weeks, actually. More for the immediate sake of Bradburn's U19s than Welllington per se, who will probably feel compelled to boom it with Elliott at 3 for several more years.

More of a composed anchoring bat than RW, he had a very good 92(148) knock against Easts for the U20s. There he is getting out in the Gillette Cup last week, but I see he made a dominant 124 a day or two later -
    Gillette Cup Scots College v Otago BHS. Highlights Ver 1. 11-12-2013. - YouTube

So yeah, a pair of Asian Wellingtonians could be opening in an U19 World Cup. We haven't brought so much to the table since Franklin and JP McNamee's 1998 heroics.
    My colleague watched the whole Gillette cup tournament. Reckons the CHBS openers were the business. Stanley and Burnett with Burnett being better. Scot colleges other player is a "Lawrence" I think. He took 2/11 off ten overs in one game. And bats number 3. I guess in high school it is not a big deal to bat 3 and open the bowling. You already know this but just for others Ravi is a decent spinner too.

There was a Mount Albert Grammar batsman who was outstanding as well. Actually scrub that they're twins the Dhadwells?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    My colleague watched the whole Gillette cup tournament. Reckons the CHBS openers were the business. Stanley and Burnett with Burnett being better. Scot colleges other player is a "Lawrence" I think. He took 2/11 off ten overs in one game. And bats number 3. I guess in high school it is not a big deal to bat 3 and open the bowling. You already know this but just for others Ravi is a decent spinner too.

There was a Mount Albert Grammar batsman who was outstanding as well. Actually scrub that they're twins the Dhadwells?
    Yeah all of your intel there is backed up by the stats, by the looks.

The Home of CricketArchive

The Home of CricketArchive
    Last edited by Kippax; 15-12-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Albi to laugh at how schoolboyish that loop is from Ravi, but Bradburn with relish the balanced skill set he offers his skipper in Dubai conditions.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    you call that loop? bet the batsman's neck wasn't even sore
    Exit pursuing a beer

Thread Information