• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
BREAKING NEWS: Scott Kugglejuggle tries but fails to hide first smile of entire life behind helmet chin strap!

i don't think holder will be asked back.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
National U19 tournament tables:

Runs

Wickets
Bit of a 2013 story on Tryon. Seems to be a new done-me-wrong Stag who's now got himself 300 runs ahead of our premium World Cuppers, with two days of the tourney remaining.

Cricket: Stance finds traction - Sport - Hawke's Bay Today News

The Zimbabwean-born player, who bowls right-arm offspins, becomes the first Havelock North club national representative since Martyn Sigley in the mid-1990s.

The teen, known to mates as "Marble", arrived in New Zealand as a 5-year-old from Harere with parents, Darel and Mark Tryon, and his two sisters, Gemma, 23, now living in London, and Denise, 21, who is in Perth, where her father works for a train company and mother is looking for work. The Tryons fled their country following the political turmoil in 2000. They lived in Masterton for four years before shifting up here.

CD manager of amateur cricket Briasco says Tryon is an "interesting character who doesn't say very much but possesses very good hand-eye skills".

"He's probably still very front-foot dominant," he says, adding Tryon is working on his timing to rock back to react earlier to shots.

Primarily he feels the teenager needs to employ his shoulders and back more, rather than just his hands in executing drives, something Bay high performance development manager Dale Smidt also honed in a player who "wasn't the easiest person to work with".

"He's very receptive to coaching now and a hard worker so I wish him all the best," Briasco says, adding he'd love to see him prove the selectors wrong in pursuing a national berth.

He suspects two things held Tryon back in the age groups.

One, he perhaps didn't know how to face the shorter-pitched deliveries and, two, whether he exposed himself to coaching to address his shortcomings.

"Potentially he's capable of becoming a good middle-order batsman in the short form of the game because he hits the ball well, can rotate strike, runs well between the wickets, can bowl offspin and all those things."

Although he bats at No3 or 4, Tryon is excited about the prospect of "something different at No 6 or 7".

"At 3-4 you get more time to get your eye in but at 6-7 you have to score pretty quickly," says Tryon, who prefers to get himself into a rhythm before taking an aggressive stance.

Having fallen in love with cricket after his father gave him throw downs here as a child, Tryon didn't follow his family to Perth because the chance of higher honours are better here than the cut-throat Australian environment. The Tryons will be in Darwin to support him in the next few days.

"I'd love to make a career out of it," he says, emphasising he loves all three forms of the code.

His other big influence in cricket is former Havelock North age-group coach Derek Ward, who also offers him part-time work at his business, Craft and Hern Sports in Hastings.

Passionate about the game, Tryon hopes to enjoy himself in Darwin and see the Kiwis do well although making Dubai will be a thrill. Having to slip on a black ensemble with his name emblazoned on the back of the shirt will also be unforgettable.

Briasco says the litmus test for Tryon will be how he reacts when the opposition start delivering rib ticklers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt there are two cricket playing Martin Sigley's - I played against him growing up in Hamilton. He casually hit my off spin bowling for six when I drifted on to his leg stump once - went on to play for the school we loved to hate Boys High. Very handy keeper

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I doubt there are two cricket playing Martin Sigley's - I played against him growing up in Hamilton. He casually hit my off spin bowling for six when I drifted on to his leg stump once - went on to play for the school we loved to hate Boys High. Very handy keeper
Hey mate, todays not confession day

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Thanks for the article on Tryon, Kippax. Was just logging on to ask if anyone knew anything about him after his avalanche of runs for the CD u19s.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Seems Edgar and Bradburn figured they already have plenty of bats along these lines; good hand-eye but outfoxed by sleights of hand.

Flem274*

123/5
looks a very raw talent. I never saw Taylor bat as a kid but by all accounts he treated it like his rep hockey games. Tryon is how I imagine Taylor batted. Hope he gets polished up nicely into a good player.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Plunket Shield: University Oval, starts today
Otago: Hamish Rutherford, Aaron Redmond, Michael Bracewell, Neil Broom, Sam Wells, Derek de Boorder (captain), Mark Craig, Neil Wagner, Jacob Duffy, James McMillan, Blair Soper, Nick Beard, Brad Rodden.

Canterbury: Peter Fulton, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Shanan Stewart, George Worker, Dean Brownlie, Brad Cachopa, Andrew Ellis, Todd Astle, Matt Henry, Logan van Beek, Ryan McCone.

Cricket: Test pair back as Otago presses claim | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Ryan Duffy has been dropped for Rodden

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I wouldn't say Duffy has been dropped tbh, more that they need cover for the middle order rather than opening so Rodden is a better option.