• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeeeaaaahhh... KW may have more long term potential than Warner, but he's certainly not a better player at the moment. And Vettori hasn't played test cricket in 18 months, and was decidedly poor for the last 9 months prior to his injury. Finally, test class openers are worth their weight in gold these days. If I was forced to choose one batsmen out of the three of them, I'd definitely go for Warner on current form.

Also, Hughes plays for South Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbh thinking about it more NSW would completely dick Warwickshire as well if they ever met, though the blues selectors do enjoy picking very short batting line ups which would expose them badly to ND, CD or Warwicks if aany of the three sides got early wickets. Selected by normal people though and NSW is the best side with ND and Warwicks fighting over second. CD's bowling is a couple of years behind the others and the batting is too Taylor reliant in the wake of retirements. I don't think we'll retain the Shield this season unless Cachopa continues his golden run, the openers stand up and Young announces himself. KNB and Kruger really kicking on would be good as well.

CD are so damn lucky they got Devcich instead of KW today.
Full strength NSW would probably have too many Test batsmen/PONIs in it to allow them to stack the side with that much bowling.

1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Haddin
7. Henriques

That'd be the top seven. Lyon would also play. The others bowlers.. take your pick from Bollinger/Sandhu/Hazelwood/O'Keefe/Cummins/Copeland/Abbott.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Warner's potential is undersold. Not many can play like he did on test debut.

Warner's issue is he is too one dimensional and home track reliant. He isn't capable of playing some of the knocks KW has so far in his career, despite having a beautiful technical setup to be anything. His role as the aggressive Sehwag-with-technique opener is a good one because he's effective at it, but it also limits him.

KW is the better batsman, but Warner has more value due to being one of the few test standard openers around.

Flem274*

123/5
Full strength NSW would probably have too many Test batsmen/PONIs in it to allow them to stack the side with that much bowling.

1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Haddin
7. Henriques

That'd be the top seven. Lyon would also play. The others bowlers.. take your pick from Bollinger/Sandhu/Hazelwood/O'Keefe/Cummins/Copeland/Abbott.
You just know they would try though. They're one Watson injury away...

Maddo and Warner could be the most frustrating opening partnership this side of a Gayle-Sehwag get together. How often has it happened in SS?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
tbh thinking about it more NSW would completely dick Warwickshire as well if they ever met, though the blues selectors do enjoy picking very short batting line ups which would expose them badly to ND, CD or Warwicks if aany of the three sides got early wickets. Selected by normal people though and NSW is the best side with ND and Warwicks fighting over second. CD's bowling is a couple of years behind the others and the batting is too Taylor reliant in the wake of retirements. I don't think we'll retain the Shield this season unless Cachopa continues his golden run, the openers stand up and Young announces himself. KNB and Kruger really kicking on would be good as well.

CD are so damn lucky they got Devcich instead of KW today.
NSW
Warner, Maddinson, Watson, Clarke*, Smith, Haddin+, Henriques, Copeland, O'Keefe/Hazlewood, Lyon, Bollinger

ND
Flynn, Devcich/Wilson, Williamson*, Mitchell, Watling+, Anderson, Vettori, Sodhi, Southee, Aldridge, Boult

Warwickshire
Chopra*, Porterfield, Trott, Bell, Evans, Ambrose+, Woakes, Clarke, Barker, Patel, Rankin

At full strength, that would be a very interesting tri-series tournament IMO. Would be very, very close if not for Clarke being h4x.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
ND kicking Bell and Trott in the shins would be ideal. ND definitely have the better attack.

When playing NSW it would be crucial to get Clarke and Smith in early, which is very doable with Warner and Maddinson being who they are and Watson being a number six, but even then...Clarke has been in unfair nick in the past few years.

I'd bring in Hickey and push everyone down as well and drop Sodhi or Aldridge depending on conditions. Vettori in his beloved number eight slot could be the difference when the openers are so meh.

Flem274*

123/5
I've been working to put Spikey in charge though.

Where do you think Hilf went after his fall from grace? Bloke got a knock on the door at 4am and...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NSW
Warner, Maddinson, Watson, Clarke*, Smith, Haddin+, Henriques, Copeland, O'Keefe/Hazlewood, Lyon, Bollinger

ND
Flynn, Devcich/Wilson, Williamson*, Mitchell, Watling+, Anderson, Vettori, Sodhi, Southee, Aldridge, Boult

Warwickshire
Chopra*, Porterfield, Trott, Bell, Evans, Ambrose+, Woakes, Clarke, Barker, Patel, Rankin

At full strength, that would be a very interesting tri-series tournament IMO. Would be very, very close if not for Clarke being h4x.
Original format of your post was so gun. Soft option going back to this IMO.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Original format of your post was so gun. Soft option going back to this IMO.
Didn't like the line spacing in the table, tbh.

Cape Cobras would be gun at this, btw:
G Smith*, A Puttick, S van Zyl, J Kallis, JP Duminy, D Vilas+, J Ontong, R Peterson, V Philander, D Steyn, B Hendricks

An FC equivalent of the Champion's League would be cool, if not for all the impracticality of it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the ND origin trio of James Baker, Anurag Verma and Andrew Mathieson are being manouvered into position by Grant Bradburn Sports...
Mathieson was never really a protege of Grant Bradburn Sports itbt. He never dotted it up like say Brandon Hiini to earn the team's right to win on the final day, nor provided his captain with a well-balanced skill set, doing serviceable cashies with lesser disciplines (sort of like the importance of a rugby fullback who can kick off both feet).

It does annoys me that this guy below couldn't get one of the 17 New Zealand slots down in Lincoln tonight, despite the clear bias towards 'minimum interference to anyone's precious HRV campaign' players.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
The more bullish bowling half of the dressing room dicks Taylor over once again. CD 25/4
Yea was really hoping to see an extended Taylor v Southee/Boult battle.

Instead Southee does, what southee does at this level, the 5 fer will give Southee 200 FC wickets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wow last I saw CD were 4/2. Now 35/6 and Southee+Boult at this level, with presumably quite a helpful wicket too, is just unfair.

Once Southee and Boult go off look for Young and KVW to put on 80 ish against Kuggs and Sodhi who are likely to leak runs (plus Vettori bowling dots).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow last I saw CD were 4/2. Now 35/6 and Southee+Boult at this level, with presumably quite a helpful wicket too, is just unfair.

Once Southee and Boult go off look for Young and KVW to put on 80 ish against Kuggs and Sodhi who are likely to leak runs (plus Vettori bowling dots).
This is why I think Vettori could potentially be more succesful with New Zealand's current attack. In the days of Martin and Arnel, opposition batsmen knew they just had to sit on Vettori and could then nurdle around the other bowlers. But with New Zealand now sporting 2 (and if Wagner continues his recent improvement, maybe even 3) genuine test class seamers opposition batsmen will be forced to take more risks against Vettori to get runs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It does annoys me that this guy below couldn't get one of the 17 New Zealand slots down in Lincoln tonight, despite the clear bias towards 'minimum interference to anyone's precious HRV campaign' players.

Suspect he's less quick than he looks but that's some really nice movement - impressive.