• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
**** off Trego.
A bit harsh to complain about him taking wickets - if Milne wants those he needs to go and get them himself!

Would be great if Milne could make a statement here to NZ selectors to get in line to be picked later this summer, but so far it's not looking that way.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A bit harsh to complain about him taking wickets - if Milne wants those he needs to go and get them himself!

Would be great if Milne could make a statement here to NZ selectors to get in line to be picked later this summer, but so far it's not looking that way.
Milney's a favourite but basically I'd be happy with any performing domestic bowler replacing Bracewell. Not because I don't like Dougeh or think he could take wickets, but because I think it would be indicative of consistent selection policy.

And really, if they can take a punt on Sodhi (or Bracewell before him, for that matter), surely they can take a punt on Milne.

Flem274*

123/5
Well the ND origin trio of James Baker, Anurag Verma and Andrew Mathieson are being manouvered into position by Grant Bradburn Sports...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Milney's a favourite but basically I'd be happy with any performing domestic bowler replacing Bracewell. Not because I don't like Dougeh or think he could take wickets, but because I think it would be indicative of consistent selection policy.
awta

And really, if they can take a punt on Sodhi (or Bracewell before him, for that matter), surely they can take a punt on Milne.
however the difference is that Wagner has a firm grip on that third seamer role and is not going to be dropped just to take a punt on someone, whereas Sodhi was a punt to fill a clear gap in the spinner role.

If, touch wood, Southee or Boult injured themselves before the first test I'm unsure right now whether I'd prefer Bracewell or Milne as replacement. Probably Dougeh tbh, as more of a new ball bowler.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Cant believe only about 50 people turned out, that was a top class bowling performance from CD this morning. The conditions where perfect for swing, humid, warm and overcast.

Dougehs first spell was very good, good lines and lengths with movement. However when he came back in around the 30 over mark it looked like he was trying to bowl quicker, and was bowling rubbish (The ball was barely swinging by this point though)
Wheeler bowled beautifully, consistently hitting the right areas and was getting big inswing. Just to many balls on the body against the right handers to be really threatening.
Milne was a bit looser, but was moving the ball both ways at pace. Around the 22th over he got an inswinger to really move out of nowhere and just missed off stump, van Wyk had to dive to his left to take it!
Trego was the pick of the bowlers for me, excellent line and length coupled with a decent amount of outswing, The difference between him and the others is that he was forcing the batsmen to play every ball, rather than bowling on 5th/6th stump.

ND batted very well to only be 4 wickets down. Mitchell and Wilson were very composed in spite of not being able to pick up runs. Wilson had a bit of luck with edges not carrying to slip, but Mitchell was very tight in defense until he played one he should of left.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Milne bleeding boundaries at the moment. Still very early, but it's disappointing that he hasn't had more of an impact in such supportive conditions.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Re: NDs balance.

Anderson isn't bowling this match, so it's actually a pretty bog-standard PS line-up of 5 batsmen, 5 bowlers, plus keeper.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yess, just remembered this was on and there's just something right about having the Plunket Shield scores ticking over in the background while at work in summer.

What a start for Wheeler. Him dismissing two lefties first up makes me think - is he more successful vs left handers than right? As the left handed version of Henry that would make sense, seeing as there's been a bit of chat on here about Henry being more effective against right handers.
I think it has just been me wondering about Henry v lefties, not much support yet on that theory. (Which actually isn't a theory yet, but watching with interest)

Where as Wheeler I have no doubt is the real deal. Watched him bend plenty back into RHBs, ......plus height, and pace, ....

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think it has just been me wondering about Henry v lefties, not much support yet on that theory. (Which actually isn't a theory yet, but watching with interest)
Seems a worthwhile thing to watch anyway, given Henry's natural movement is into rather than away from left handers.

Will be interesting to see how CD bat on this wicket - too early to say if ND's 200ish is terribly sub-par or not.

I quite liked the look of A. Patel when I had a quick look last season - took a five-fer iirc.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Typical bull**** Southee innings from the look of things. Good to see that Dan hasn't lost his touch of making runs while the house of cards collapses around him.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm pretty worried they're going to crack 200, because I'm not optimistic we will score much more against Southee, Boult and Vettori. Absolutely cannot afford to let ND indulge in a cute Shield Tail Wag here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm pretty worried they're going to crack 200, because I'm not optimistic we will score much more against Southee, Boult and Vettori. Absolutely cannot afford to let ND indulge in a cute Shield Tail Wag here.
about that...

Boult in good form - 21(19) with four fours.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Australian Shield sides you mean? Long bow to draw, though I don't know much about them except that they're like us in having lots of bowlers but batsmen are thin on the ground. In any case these two sides have test players, which would mean in the same situation the Shield teams would get their players back.
Yeah, NSW with Michael Clarke, or Warwickshire with Jeets would still boss either one of these sides.

Flem274*

123/5
*sigh* we got Vettori'd but Boult shouldn't be scoring 20s against bowlers pushing for test places.

Southee and Boult with a new ball was always going to be a tough ask for our top three. The pair have embarrassed more accomplished batsmen than How and Cachopa. Ben Smith is quite the technician from the little I've seen so he has the tools to drop anchor, but his decision making will be tested against the two best equipped bowlers to probe in the channel in the entire competition, with Vettori ready to tease him with flight and changes of pace afterwards. We need a big innings from Taylor tomorrow, and it would be nice if Young makes a name for himself as well. Hopefully Bracewell and Milne can give the ND bowlers a taste of their own with a Cute Shield Tail Wag. We're going to need it because I don't see this being a high scoring game like some we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, NSW with Michael Clarke, or Warwickshire with Jeets would still boss either one of these sides.
If Jeets is the Warwickshire star player both of these sides would beat them in a doddle, but fortunately for them they can call upon the likes of Bell, Trott, Ambrose, Porterfield and Rankin. It's a credit to the New Zealand sides they don't look woefully outmatched like they would if this were 2009. ND have the established names but Taylor aside CD have enough of the CW New Zealand Shadow Squad or Young Hopefuls to lend credibility to the game.

Against New South Wales both ND and CD would boast the second best batsman in the game, and I don't think that has ever happened before.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe so, but given that NSW can also call upon Haddin, Warner and Smith it would still be a pretty horrible mismatch.

Btw, who in the ND side do you think is a better batsman than Warner or Haddin?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
KW and Vettori

Smith and Hughes > Haddin as well

edit: actually Hughes moved didn't he. WAC. Exporting pretenders like Usman is all well and good, but Hughes is a gem.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
tbh thinking about it more NSW would completely dick Warwickshire as well if they ever met, though the blues selectors do enjoy picking very short batting line ups which would expose them badly to ND, CD or Warwicks if aany of the three sides got early wickets. Selected by normal people though and NSW is the best side with ND and Warwicks fighting over second. CD's bowling is a couple of years behind the others and the batting is too Taylor reliant in the wake of retirements. I don't think we'll retain the Shield this season unless Cachopa continues his golden run, the openers stand up and Young announces himself. KNB and Kruger really kicking on would be good as well.

CD are so damn lucky they got Devcich instead of KW today.