• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hi all, am heading to NZ in January and will be in Auckland for the T20 international vs the West Indies. Was wondering how I would go about getting two tickets to this game. Ticketek doesn't seem to be offering them as of yet.
It's unlikely to sell out so I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
DOUG BRACEWELL partied with the Otago Volts cricketers on Friday night and didn't return to his hotel room until the wee hours of the morning.

"Dougie is really gutted about it," Central Districts Cricket CEO Hugh Henderson said yesterday after the Black Caps allrounder was dropped to 12th man from the Devon Hotel CD Stags team for the HRV Cup Twenty20 match against the Northern Districts Knights in Hamilton on Saturday night.

"We won't use the word curfew but we do adhere to standards," Henderson said of the 23-year-old who drank liquor with the Otago cricketers following their three-wicket win over ND at Seddon Park.

Bracewell, of Napier, has a cousin, Michael Bracewell, playing for the Volts who also have gained the services of former CD and Black Caps batsman Jesse Ryder.

Henderson said staying up until after midnight before a match wasn't going to be tolerated.

Just before leaving Hamilton yesterday, new CD coach Heinrich Malan said they had discussed the matter, taken appropriate action against the Taradale Cricket Club player but he was available for selection for Friday night's televised game against the Wellington Firebirds at the Basin Reserve.

"At the end of the day we have protocols in place. We are professionals and the Stags come first," Malan said, adding Bracewell wasn't "100 per cent" for Saturday's 31-run loss to ND.

"Doug's disappointed he's let the management, himself and his teammates down."

While Heinrich didn't want to be held accountable for Bracewell's past indiscretions, the coach wanted all his players to be "on the same page" of a new regime that instils a culture of professionalism.

"It's important to the team ... for him to make better decisions and take the chances to become successful at a higher level," he said, labelling him a "distinguished, quality and intelligent" cricketer who made a poor decision.

The Delhi Daredevils IPL recruit fell out of coach Mike Hesson's Black Caps equation in March after he cut his foot on a broken beer bottle while cleaning up following a party at his Napier home.

New Zealand Cricket reminded him of his obligations as a contracted international player, prompting Bracewell to apologise on national TV to fans as well as to his neighbours for the ruckus although he has had lean pickings since, playing in two tests against Bangladesh but finding himself on the fringes of selection with a glut of better-performing seamers.

He toured with the New Zealand A team to the subcontinent in September but he told Hawke's Bay Today he wasn't happy with his performance despite scoring a century and was keen to knuckle down to prove his mettle in the domestic competition.

While on tour, Bracewell told the Indian Express he had a disciplined upbringing although he had "gone off track during his brief time in school, where he got mixed in bad company and was a rabble rouser".

He recounted teenage years of listening to stories about his father, Brendon Bracewell, and uncle John Bracewell, who are former international cricketers and the latter was also New Zealand coach between plying his trade for the English county.

"My father and uncle were brought up the tough way. My grandfather was a hard man and sent them to the nets where they had to remain till 6pm. And if my father couldn't get John out, he wasn't allowed dinner. And John had to go hungry and stay out if he didn't score 100."

Brendon Bracewell still runs his academy in Napier, offering key import players each summer to premier men's club teams.

Brendon started his academy in Te Puna, near Tauranga, where Doug, along with a few other 10 to 13-year olds, learned his trade from his father and another former test cricketer, Chris Kuggeleijn.

The Indian Express says Brendon and Kuggeleijn were hard taskmasters who cracked the disciplinary whip and the erroneous ones were not just frowned upon but taken to task.

It recounts how the punishment depended on how calamitous the crime was.

While bowling too many balls down the leg-side meant no milk with their cereal the next day, far stringent measures awaited the likes of Bracewell. A kick up the backside was also on the agenda.

"Scott [the junior Kuggeleijn] used to come over for the camp. We were the trouble makers and I think dad offered to give Scott the plastic wicket around the arse as Scott's dad wouldn't do it," Bracewell is quoted as saying in the story.

Ironically, Doug Bracewell and Scott Kuggeleijn were 12th men in Saturday night's HRV Cup Twenty20 match at Seddon Park, Hamilton.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He tried several times to give him a plastic wicket around the arse, but it wasn't easy.

@cricketwgtn 4h
Arnel, Birt, Franklin(c), Hutchinson, McKay, Murdoch, Papps, Patel, Pollard, Tait, Walsh, Woodcock. Looking forward to your support!!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some good runs on the board in club cricket for Wellington batsmen on the weekend. Pollard with some runs whilst the rest of his team collapsed around him, Walsh with a match-winning 70 odd not out and a big ton for Woodcock against Naenae (I think - Naenae have been massively depleted in strength over the winter and it is no surprise at all they're struggling). Kippax's protege with a ton too, I see - albeit with the same caveat. Still, a club ton is nothing to be sniffed at; they're not exactly common.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
2 spinners each for both Otago and Canterbury. Johnston in for Canty, Beard in for Otago.

How times have changed, wouldn't see these kind of bowling line ups in November a decade ago.

Ryan Duffy on debut, Jacob Duffy 12th man.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi all, am heading to NZ in January and will be in Auckland for the T20 international vs the West Indies. Was wondering how I would go about getting two tickets to this game. Ticketek doesn't seem to be offering them as of yet.
BLACKCAPS Priority Ticketing

You can get up to four tickets at 50% off the walk-up price, if you sign up to that and buy within the first five days of sale.

PUBLIC ON SALE:
WEST INDIES | ANZ TEST SERIES
Start: Tue 12th Nov 2013, 9:00am

WEST INDIES | ANZ ODI SERIES
Start: Thu 5th Dec 2013, 9:00am

WEST INDIES | ANZ T20 SERIES
Start: Mon 16th Dec 2013, 9:00am

INDIA | ANZ ODI SERIES
Start: Thu 26th Dec 2013, 9:00am

INDIA | ANZ TEST SERIES
Start: Thu 16th Jan 2014, 9:00am

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
2 spinners each for both Otago and Canterbury. Johnston in for Canty, Beard in for Otago.
Ryan Duffy on debut, Jacob Duffy 12th man.
No offense to Nick Beard, but I can't see how on earth he'd be more penetrative than JDuff. Justifiable in t20, not in 4day cricket. Awful selection IMO.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
No offense to Nick Beard, but I can't see how on earth he'd be more penetrative than JDuff. Justifiable in t20, not in 4day cricket. Awful selection IMO.
It might still be due to his recovery from his hamstring injury. Even without Butler and McMillan, Soper has been selected ahead of Duffy to partner Wagner. With only Wells as third seamer option (normally, last year, also have Neesham as 3rd/4th seamer option).

Or it might be performance (less likely), but I've still not seen Duffy bowl as well as he did as a 17 year old on FC debut.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Brodie and now Worker struggling with this left-armer who shapes it back in. :p They don't know what line's a safe leave any more.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford really needs some 4-day runs, rather than being involved in ODI tours that he is utterly unsuited for owing to his terrible shot selection and lack of ability to balance risk/reward. He's already on thin ice as test opener I would think, but right now he's still in and I want him to do well. I will be mega-pissed if he misses the next Otago FC match starting on the 19th on account of only just having arrived back from this SL ODI series.
A) Forgot this stupid SL tour even had T20s (n)
B) Realised Rutherford wasn't in the T20 squad (y)
C) Rutherford called up to T20 squad as injury replacement (n)

How much would Rutherford benefit from scoring a hundred against Canterbury here and regaining some confidence, rather than pissing around in a couple of rain affected 8-overs-per-side in Sri Lanka?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brodie and now Worker struggling with this left-armer who shapes it back in. :p They don't know what line's a safe leave any more.
They have both been quite disappointing in the last couple of seasons, for guys that were talked about a bit on this forum.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A) Forgot this stupid SL tour even had T20s (n)
B) Realised Rutherford wasn't in the T20 squad (y)
C) Rutherford called up to T20 squad as injury replacement (n)

How much would Rutherford benefit from scoring a hundred against Canterbury here and regaining some confidence, rather than pissing around in a couple of rain affected 8-overs-per-side in Sri Lanka?
May as well just say it now:

Devcich>Rutherford, in both limited overs formats. And probably tests too just cos I feel like trolling Flem.