• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
Well if Taylor is playing a bit of Shield early on then hopefully he is up for it (see my other post haha) so we can post up good scores regularly in the traditionally low scoring early season.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ironically Taylor's coming back mainly for HRV if anything I think. There's one game he might play -

26/11/2013 - 29/11/2013
Northern Knights vs Central Stags - First Class Match
Seddon Park, Hamilton - 10:30am
Ftr session times this season are based around 30 minutes for lunch and tea.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And we're off! Broom and Redmond happily bullying Wellington's impressive but aged seam trio. It's gonna be another long year...

Mike5181

International Captain
JS Patel, MR Gillespie, AJ McKay, BJ Arnel

That's a pretty strong attack Wellington have there. Good test for Ryder when he gets in.

Flem274*

123/5
I think the attack looks better on paper than it really is. Arnel is winding down, you never know which Gillespie will turn up, McKay spent most of last season injured and was always a mini-Gillespie anyway and Jeets has never been any good in New Zealand FC.

Flem274*

123/5
Not sure sending Gillespie back to Siddons will do him any good either. I get the impression Hesson is determined to either make him or break him by bowling him into the ground until he's at his best, and Siddons is more likely to gush about how wonderful he is while letting him bowl those 130kph outies.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't realise this started today - always good to be able to follow in the background.

Redmond continuing on from last season, positioning himself well to be the next 34 year old opener recalled to the NZ opener merry-go-round.

Mike5181

International Captain
I think the attack looks better on paper than it really is. Arnel is winding down, you never know which Gillespie will turn up, McKay spent most of last season injured and was always a mini-Gillespie anyway and Jeets has never been any good in New Zealand FC.
Yeah, fair point. Otago certainly think so anyway.

Kind of want a wicket to fall so Ryder can get in there now.

Flem274*

123/5
There's been a bit of a trend in the past few years where older top order batsmen have enjoyed some of their best seasons right before they call it a day. Fulton, Cumming and now Redmond varied between good to mediocre for most of their careers and all three are now doing/did the business at the end. Fulton's first half of his career really covers his mediocrity in the half preceding his resurgence, and both Redmond and Cumming were so-so for most of their days before going big. Redmond's career looked done and dusted two years ago when he got dropped from Otago.

Maybe there's hope Tim McIntosh can secure his spot for Auckland after a shaky post-test dropping stint.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Jeets is keeping thins pretty tight, but isn't receiving a lot of support from the rest of the attack.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've made a post about his technique already. He is all timing and all wrists. He is a tall lad - but doesn't use his long levers when he swings the bat. Instead gets a lot of power out of his forearms and wrists and snapping them precisely at the point of delivery. He will never be a big hitter but when he does hit a six it looks very classy. When his shots get mistimed he look lazy.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I've made a post about his technique already. He is all timing and all wrists. He is a tall lad - but doesn't use his long levers when he swings the bat. Instead gets a lot of power out of his forearms and wrists and snapping them precisely at the point of delivery. He will never be a big hitter but when he does hit a six it looks very classy. When his shots get mistimed he look lazy.
Never be a big hitter? Sorry Hurricane but I'll have to strongly disagree there. To put it simply, Bracewell can ****ing pump it. Yeah he's got great timing when he's in knick but you could also say he 'muscles' the ball. He'd be one of the strongest blokes in the Otago team, if not top of the pile on his own.

Mike5181

International Captain
As "they" should. I don't even rate the guy, but he did score close to a thousand runs at an average of 55 last season as well.