• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Mike5181

International Captain
Vettori interview:

Needs to see how Achilles responds, to see if he'll be available in all formats for ND and then NZ
Got James Franklin out with a half-tracker recently
Hasn't been able to run properly for 18 months. Last month or so he's started doing fitness work etc
Wouldn't be happy just playing T20. Rather try play all formats for another year or two, and then go from there.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I like the comment at the end from Smith. It would be a good investment if we could throw some money at Warne to come and work with Sodhi for a little while.
I imagine Warne would probably be waaaaaay to pricey for the NZC, especially on a fairly speculative investment like Sodhi.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
is there any evidence that Warne would actually be a good coach?

Donald, Akram, Bond, Flower etc have proven themselves to be good coaches, but I dunno about Warne.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The most the NZC could hope from Warne, given his many priorities and commitments, would be maybe a week long training clinic. I really don't know how much that is gonna help Ish in the long run. What he needs is a Terry Jenner: someone to oversee his training on an ongoing basis, to talk to about match tactics when things aren't going right, to work with him on the development and perfection of his variations. Realistically the best bet for a mentor in the short run is Vettori. Changes in flight and pace are just as critical to a leggy as they are to a finger spinner, and Vettori has mountains of experience to share.

Last edited:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
On the Bret Lee thing.

They were talking about overseas imports and who they were looking at for the HRV cup and Vaughan Johnson was very quick to jump in and say "not Brett Lee". Maybe I read to much into it but he was the only overseas player who he mentioned, so I pressume there is some bad blood there.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
On the Bret Lee thing.

They were talking about overseas imports and who they were looking at for the HRV cup and Vaughan Johnson was very quick to jump in and say "not Brett Lee". Maybe I read to much into it but he was the only overseas player who he mentioned, so I pressume there is some bad blood there.
Presumably because they flew him in for one game of the HRV cup last year so he'd be eligible for the CLT20, then he made himself unavailable due to business commitments or something?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Not being a batting technician myself ....

Carl Cachopa's altered batting stance as seen on the A tour. This will give him more options when playing the short ball? Can now sway back or pull, where as his hunched over stance pretty much pre-determined the hedgehog ?

Will be interesting to see Craig and Brad over the next few years as all 3 brothers had a clone-like batting stance.

I saw Rutherford flinch again at a short ball by one of the bangladeshis, and it made me think how Chops and Ruds are almost left and right mirrors of each other.

Both got in the runs with similar purple patch at exact same time, after both having horribles FC starts followed by a few years in wilderness, both flinch at short balls aimed at the body.

Differences: Chops more 'correct' though outside off, Ruds more 'talented' in a plant-and-crash on a flat deck kind of way.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori interview:

Needs to see how Achilles responds, to see if he'll be available in all formats for ND and then NZ
Got James Franklin out with a half-tracker recently
Hasn't been able to run properly for 18 months. Last month or so he's started doing fitness work etc
Wouldn't be happy just playing T20. Rather try play all formats for another year or two, and then go from there.
Thanks mate. If he gets up and about on an Achilles post 35 years of age, having not run properly for 18 months, and plays 1-2 more seasons in all formats, he's a medical marvel.

Flem274*

123/5
Trying to figure out who we're going to go with. I don't see Doug returning home in time and Milne will be in Bangladesh, so I'm guessing our round 1 side will be..

How
Robinson
Cachopa
Hay
Young
KNB
Kruger
Nethula
Wheeler
Mathieson
Small

Dunno who we're playing but I hope the less experienced quicks and Nethula turn up and support Wheeler. That top order could either crash or cruise as well.

Flem274*

123/5
We've done this before - he isn't a FTB, he's a behind square bully. I remember him scoring runs on green tops.

He's spent a few years in the wilderness, so it will be interesting to see if he has made any changes, and I'm keen to see him on video.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Trying to figure out who we're going to go with. I don't see Doug returning home in time and Milne will be in Bangladesh, so I'm guessing our round 1 side will be..
Nah PS starts for you on November 7th, and Trego is playing the first five rounds for you. First Stags you'll see will be on TV next weekend.

Bit of a form guide maybe -
CricHQ | Chapple Cup - 2013/14

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellington Cricket- Wellington Firebirds squad for opening Plunket Shield match

Brent Arnel (Onslow)
Josh Brodie (Eastern Suburbs)
James Franklin, Captain (Wellington Collegians)
Mark Gillespie (North City)
Andrew Lamb (Karori)
Andy McKay (Karori)
Stephen Murdoch (Karori)
Michael Papps (Wellington Collegians)
Jeetan Patel (Eastern Suburbs)
Michael Pollard (North City)
Luke Ronchi (Johnsonville)
Luke Woodcock (Johnsonville)
Volts name first team

“We have the one Plunket Shield game before four HRV Twenty20 fixtures in November. We want to start both these competitions strongly so with that in mind have left James McMillan and Nick Beard out of the first four day game so that they can target the start of our white ball campaign.”

Derek de Boorder (c)
Michael Bracewell
Neil Broom
Ian Butler
Mark Craig
Jacob Duffy
Aaron Redmond
Jesse Ryder
Ian Robertson
Bradley Scott
Blair Soper
Sam Wells

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We've done this before - he isn't a FTB, he's a behind square bully. I remember him scoring runs on green tops.

He's spent a few years in the wilderness, so it will be interesting to see if he has made any changes, and I'm keen to see him on video.
Yeah Hay in the vault is the thing I'm most excited about this season.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket | Daniel Vettori poised for Plunket Shield... | Stuff.co.nz

He played Hamilton club cricket on Saturday, a two-day game for the SkyCity Knights against the Wellington Firebirds in Mt Maunganui on Monday and Tuesday and a one-day match versus ND A on Wednesday.

Knights coach James Pamment said he expected Vettori to put his hand up for selection for his side's first match of the first-class season against the Auckland Aces starting in Hamilton next Thursday.

"For Daniel it's been: 'Can I get through the four days last week, can I get through the three days this week?' " Pamment said.

"Dan bowled a minimum of 10 overs every day and looked to be a step up yesterday [Wednesday] from where he'd been at against Wellington.

"All signs at this stage are that things are progressing nicely and I think he'll want to be considered."

Vettori's likely inclusion would further strengthen what looms as a powerful lineup for new coach Pamment, who has taken over the reins from Grant Bradburn.

The New Zealand test trio of Trent Boult, BJ Watling and Ish Sodhi are likely to be available for the four-day clash, following the completion of the second test against Bangladesh.

However, the Knights will still be without four national team members - Kane Williamson, Tim Southee, Corey Anderson and Anton Devcich - who are part of the Black Caps squad for the limited-overs section of the tour of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Southee, however, is due back to join the Knights ahead of the start of their HRV Cup Twenty20 campaign on November 9.

"The returning Black Caps will give us a nice balance in the team, with a number of allrounders - BJ, Daniel, Scott Kuggeleijn and you could probably now consider Ish Sodhi as an allrounder too," Pamment said.

"That gives us some great options and, if any of those guys don't become available for one reason or another, we know we've got the guys here who have been putting in the work and will do a good job for us."

Pamment said the pre-season matches this week were specifically designed to give the players ideal preparation for the Shield opener.

"We almost took the competitive element out of it in terms of team scores and just concentrated on individuals going through their processes, and it worked quite well," Pamment said.

"Teams had 50 overs to bat, 50 to bowl but we didn't take much notice of the scoreboard."

Brad Wilson, new skipper Daniel Flynn, Vettori, Daryl Mitchell and Jono Hickey all contributed useful scores, while veteran seamer Graeme Aldridge was the pick of the bowling group.

Pamment and selection manager Pat Malcon will have another look at prospective Shield starters in a two-day match against the Aces on Sunday and Monday, with the likes of Hickey, Joseph Yovich, Jono Boult, Tony Goodin, and James Baker all pushing for a place.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How
Robinson
Cachopa
Hay
Young
Kruger
Trego
Bracewell
Nethula
Wheeler
Mathieson/Milne/Small

Stags should be closer to $3 imo. How does their "eight guys to pitch in with a fivefer each" method deteriorate this season to the point they don't win?

Run production could well suck, but Dougeh may average 70+ to make up for that, for all we know.