• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
I love Watling but in a best case scenario, McCullum keeping and batting at 7 is better. Better keeper, better batsman.
i judge mccullum based on what he did as a keeper bat. it's cheating to take current batting and his old keeping. might as well judge franklin based on present batting and old bowling. get him in the test team!

atm he's the best (parore and smith push him close) but i can see watling getting his name in there.

edit: watling is already a better batsman than old mccullum. mccullum is the best gloveman i've ever seen us play though (i never saw smithy obv) and is a better batsman now than watling is. if he could still keep wicket he would be a beast.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
i judge mccullum based on what he did as a keeper bat. it's cheating to take current batting and his old keeping. might as well judge franklin based on present batting and old bowling. get him in the test team!

atm he's the best (parore and smith push him close) but i can see watling getting his name in there.
yeah that's fair.

McCullum's career has been a bit of a waste, at least early on.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
edit: watling is already a better batsman than old mccullum. mccullum is the best gloveman i've ever seen us play though (i never saw smithy obv) and is a better batsman now than watling is. if he could still keep wicket he would be a beast.
Nah, McCullum, especially in his last couple years as a keeper batsman, was a better bat than Watling is. If he hadn't crocked his back and dicked around opening for a couple of years I reckon his average would be pretty close to 40 by now.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
he's always been quality.
No.

Around 2007 he was a crass bowler.

On that last tour to India he was decent/useful - today, and probably it is the pitch perhaps, he is looking better than Swann. Just purely on the dip and drop he is getting despite pushing the ball through.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still reckon that if we ever take a 2nd spinner on tour, Jeets should be the first choice.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
think we've been through this a few times but he's had about the shortest leash of any NZ bowler, and has never, ever bowled in conditions to suit him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah, that had to be the most low-key bit of commentary to a batsman being bowled that I've ever heard. Is that Jacob Oram? If so he should lay off the quaaludes.