• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He was a project in Wellington, a big project especially when he got down there. He's a genuine first class cricketer now however IMO. 436 runs @ 36 and 29 wickets @ 31. For a kid that just turned 22 they make for pretty good reading. Over the last 18-24 months he would easily be the most improved cricketer in the country.

I said earlier however, before the season, I just don't rate his bowling whatsoever. I don't see anything that screams "I'm a future international seamer" He's late 130's, skiddy and straight up and down. He is a long way down on my list of bowlers in New Zealand. I'll stick with what I said years ago that if he's going to make it as an international cricketer (and I'm talking Test and ODI's here) it'll be as a batting all rounder. I think he has a lot more potential with the bat then he does with the ball, but he isn't a patch on either Anderson or Neesham and both of them are those sort of players.

Hopefully he makes the 'A' tour to England this winter, can bat eight, maybe seven, and comes back next season batting in the top six. Would do him a world of good IMO.
He's got limited overs cricketer written all over him. Don't see that he's either good enough to ever be a top 6-7 batsman - probably 8 at his high water mark - or do enough with it/be quick/bouncey enough to be in the top three or even four seamers in a side. But there's no reason he can't bat 7 and provide overs in ODIs/T20, especially if he becomes a very good death bowler with his change of pace etc.

Problem is, Neesham and Anderson are the same age so he's basically sweating on injuries or change of roles from either of those guys. He'll play for NZ, but not consistently.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Kyle Jamieson playing as Bennett's replacement.

Ah good, Latham's out. Out sweeping.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, damn, the final on Saturday is at Mt Maunganui. I had been thinking of going if it had been Hamilton or Whangarei, but the Mount is just a bit too far after working till 11 the previous night.

At least it's on TV.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"Nicol's out - wonderful piece of bowling from Woodcock, that turned and bounced".

"Classical delivery from Woodcock" - Chris Martin.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"A very beautiful piece of bowling from Woodcock and Fulton's out. A lovely flighted delivery, caught at cover"

Howsie

International Captain
Heh, would love for Wellington to win this game. Just so we can pummel them in the final. That or Canterbury rolls them here for SFA.

jcas0167

International Debutant
That ****ing engine room again. Jeets three death overs for 30.
What?! I go away for lunch with Canterbury languishing at about 130 for 6 and Patel had about 15 off his 5 overs. Andrew Ellis, an unfashionable player but playing a Cairnsesqe innings.

I'll be interested to see how under 19's fast bowler Kyle Jamieson goes, he's apparently 2.03 metres according to the DomPost article.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wellington should do this easy from here, but you never know with them. Does anybody know if Boult, Williamson and (if Wellington do win) Ronchi will be available for the final?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ah Ok. Not 100% sure how I feel about that. I mean, it would be a bit of a waste of jet fuel to come down to NZ for one (fairly meaningless) LO match and then turn around and fly all the way back to Heathrow. At the same time, I believe his commitments to ND should take priority over all other domestic cricket. And it would've been good for public interest in the match to have a high profile player like KW taking part.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
tbh I'm worried about the likes of Williamson, Southee, McCullum and Taylor, Anderson and Neesham being a little burnt out before the WI tour. Those guys are playing the IPL rather soon.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, fair call - though Anderson at least is going to have a nice little rest period before the WI series.

Anyway, Wellington closing in on a surprisingly hiccup free victory.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Anyway, Wellington closing in on a surprisingly hiccup free victory.
Yeah, brilliantly done. I guess they learnt from the one last week against Auckland where they were cruising and managed to lose it. Franklin promoted up the order ahead of Blundell and finished it early this time.

It's always a bit of a dilemna when international players come back for a final after the other guys got them there. I remember after the South Africa tour in 1995 ND had about half their team change for the final as the NZ players (including new acquisition Parore) arrived back just in time. That was against Wellington too :)

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha yeah, I remember that game. I think Wellington had won almost every game in the round-robin, and then Nash, Parore, Doull and Young rocked up for the final and blew us off the park. The Basin was absolutely packed that day, really makes one feel sad about how much domestic cricket has declined in the public consciousness.

I am obviously biased, but I do think that Wellington will be hard to beat in the final. They've just got so much experience, and appear to have hit form at just the right time.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sodhi's given ***ual herathment to Wellington at Bay Oval before. Wellington should put Houghton in the squad and play a third spin option. Santner, Devvy...we know how they're going to roll.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wellington were regular finalists back then, but always ran into either Canterbury stacked with NZ players, or on that occasion ND. The Shell Cup did used to attract pretty good crowds. It probably helped that the some of the round robin games then semi & final were live on TV One. No super rugby or T20 either I guess.

I think you're right, they should have a lot of confidence now. Hopefully Bay Oval produces a decent wicket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That and I think New Zealand Cricket was still enjoying the afterflow of the 1992 World Cup success, before the continuous thrashings in the 1994-1997 period drove away a lot of public interest.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wellington should put Houghton in the squad and play a third spin option.
YES! Though I don't think he's in best form. Only averaging 16.87 with the ball in Pearce Cup one dayers and a paltry 35.71 with the bat.

Lance Dry is averaging 11.85 with the ball FFS.