• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, true. Watched a replay of his bowling from last week. He was producing about one rancid pie per over, but they kept getting hit to boundary fielders for one.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Young seemingly put out of his misery in 2013/14. Replaced by Dave Meiring (27yo, but prolific for Manawatu for years now).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Milne close but not quite ready | Stuff.co.nz

The 21-year-old is expected to play club cricket in Manawatu today then join the Stags tomorrow. He'll bowl some overs and undergo some sprints and fielding to prove his fitness for the Stags' final match in Dunedin on Wednesday, by which time they could be out of playoff contention if they lose to the Firebirds.

"We've agreed to a plan and we've got to stick to it. We could certainly use him [tomorrow] but it's 4-5 days too soon," Stags assistant coach Lance Hamilton said.

"We don't want to push him and risk a recurrence. With the weather we've had, he just hasn't had the workload and we can't risk him in a 50-over game."

Milne would have been a certainty for the World Twenty20 had he remained fit, such was the impact he had against West Indies and India. Making New Zealand's tour of the Caribbean starting in late May is his next goal.

Milne had worked closely with New Zealand Cricket's medical staff and travelled three times to Christchurch to bowl under their gaze in recent weeks. Hamilton believed there wasn't yet a need to tweak Milne's action despite his struggles to stay on the park.

"It was an issue of bowling loads. Over a short period he bowled quite a few overs at a high intensity, higher than he'd ever bowled before. There was nothing biomechanical that was highlighted."

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
This years Ford Trophy hasn't been the absolute run-fest of last season. I thought the Autumn time slot would make the 350par game a permanent feature. But doesn't appear to be..

Blain

U19 Captain
He's still raw. Is picking up regular wickets now which is great to see though.

Maybe a bolter late next season if he can get his bowling average down around 30.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The New Zealand cricket team's upcoming tour of the West Indies has been shortened because of the Indian Premier League.

The Black Caps were originally due to play three tests, five one dayers and two Twenty20 games but the one day section of the tour has now been cancelled as the IPL won't finish until early June.

The first test will be played in Jamaica starting on June 8th and is set to be West Indies batsman Chris Gayle's 100th test match.
New Zealand series
1st Test, June 8-12, Jamaica
2nd Test, June 16-20, Trinidad
3rd Test, June 26-30, Guyana
1st T20, July 5, Dominica
2nd T20, July 6, Dominica

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Caught in two minds here.

When I first saw this announcement, I thought for certain they would chop a Test...so that's a nice start. Then again, the cynic in me says they might've tried but logistically only the ODIs could go.

But **** the IPL (sorry for language but that's where my head's at). We can't know what is going on behind the scenes but it's almost certain that the respective boards planned this tour, then the players (I'm going to hope and presume WI players) said 'naaah mon, we're taking ALL de cash this season' and there had to be a hasty rethink.

And what about the ODI players who are pretty reasonably out of pocket for missing 5 ODIs just so the rich can get richer? I know they're not exactly paupers themselves but they could stand to lose $10,000+ in match fees and for someone on the fringes like Manu, the chance to impress before the 2014-15 contract list comes out.

Seems I'm only really in one mind. This stinks unless I hear a different version of events.

Last edited by a moderator:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I do feel for the ODI-only players, but on the other hand the boards should have done this a long time ago, and then the NZ-fringe IPL players would have had more of a chance of earning their big bucks that way anyway.

Guys like Munro might get picked up next season if NZC actually commits to the IPL window like it should have done the whole time.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I like him, but he's got a fair bit of high quality competition at the moment. Anderson, Neesham, Sam Wells etc.

Might have more of a chance once Kyle Mills retires.
Mills is targeting his retirement after the world cup right? Although i don't think thats the problem myself, theres always opportunities with injuries etc.

A couple of others have gone on about this quite a lot already, but his rate of improvement is incredibly, he's obviously immensely talented, i mean he has 3 slower balls ffs! Even if it takes a bit longer for him to find his polish we are still looking at potentially a 5 year international career.

Howsie

International Captain
I still think Williamson is batting out of position. I'm just not seeing him as a 45+ number 3. And let's face it, as good as Fleming was, that's not exactly an impossibly high bar. It's not out of the realms of possibility that Latham could be a 40 average opening bat, which yes, is worth more than than similar numbers from Williamson.

It's not so much hendrixian optimism about Latham as Bahnzian pessimism about KW, tbh.
Latham has about as much chance of going down as a better batsman than Williamson as I do, ie it ain't happening. Ever.

Howsie

International Captain
so ND were paying $5 after 3 games.

Kugglejuggle is going to be a black cap by 25, mark my words
Big call if you were meaning "test cricketer" but not exactly one if don't. Bowls quickish, has a few variations and can hit a big ball. Could see him playing 20/20 cricket within a year tbh. Isn't a patch on either Anderson or Neesham however.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Caught in two minds here.

When I first saw this announcement, I thought for certain they would chop a Test...so that's a nice start. Then again, the cynic in me says they might've tried but logistically only the ODIs could go.

But **** the IPL (sorry for language but that's where my head's at). We can't know what is going on behind the scenes but it's almost certain that the respective boards planned this tour, then the players (I'm going to hope and presume WI players) said 'naaah mon, we're taking ALL de cash this season' and there had to be a hasty rethink.

And what about the ODI players who are pretty reasonably out of pocket for missing 5 ODIs just so the rich can get richer? I know they're not exactly paupers themselves but they could stand to lose $10,000+ in match fees and for someone on the fringes like Manu, the chance to impress before the 2014-15 contract list comes out.

Seems I'm only really in one mind. This stinks unless I hear a different version of events.
Agree. It's just ****ing disgusting. The Windies fans miss out on international cricket at home. The non-IPL guys miss out. NZ fans miss out.

**** THE IPL.

update: Great bowling again from Patel, pegging Auckland back. Must be in strong contention for the World Cup squad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The $2.00 hot favourite for the Ford Trophy, 40/8 at one point.

"It was all Hagley's fault. Edgar can't introduce the Duke with dogs like Hagley around. I'll be saying so in the next CPA survey..."

35% of players think the Eden Park Outer
Oval has the best wicket, followed by the
Basin Reserve, Wellington.

40% of players think Hagley Oval,
Christchurch has the most inconsistent
wicket, followed by the University
Oval,*Dunedin.