• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Blocky

Banned
Shillingford has been banned.
He was only banned/suspended from one match, as long as he is capable of proving he has taking remedial steps to improve his action he'll be allowed to play in the series and if I recall right, it was only his Doosra that was illegal. Chances are he'll be playing by the time we're there.

Oh wait, they also called his off spinner illegal... that makes it a bit harder.

GingerBreadMan

School Boy/Girl Captain
The kid is a run machine but something just looks off about Craig Cachopa's batting and I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's because he reminds me of a robot somehow.

Can't fault his effectiveness though.
The way he got out was weird, for a guy on 200 he seemed to pick it up really late

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He was only banned/suspended from one match, as long as he is capable of proving he has taking remedial steps to improve his action he'll be allowed to play in the series and if I recall right, it was only his Doosra that was illegal. Chances are he'll be playing by the time we're there.

Oh wait, they also called his off spinner illegal... that makes it a bit harder.
He has to prove that his action is clean. Even if he goes through the remedial work and does the testing in time, he won't have any match practise on his side and anyway, I don't think the Windies would select him since his effectiveness seems to quite clearly coincide with the deterioration in his action.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sodhi will fly no matter what though, it's almost like an obsession now for the Black Caps management that they'll make this kid into a test cricketer some way, some how.

Personally I hope he proves me wrong and takes a bagful in the Windies, but in my view if we're relying on him versus Narine + Shillingford in the Windies, we'll be screwed.
But even with Sodhi in the team, we won't be relying on him. New Zealand will still be very much relying on the Southee-Boult-Wagner combination to take at least 15 of the 20 wickets needed. Anderson, Sodhi and Williamson might each chip in with 1 or 2 here and there, but just as was the case in SRL in 2012, we'll be looking to win games with our seamers. It won't be easy, but Boult and Southee have shown in the past that they have the capacity to do it, and in Wagner they have more able support than Dougeh offered a couple of years ago.

Sodhi's big problem remains his economy rate. His strake rate in FC cricket this season has actually been very good, but he's consistently undermining himself by bowling pies and conceeding 4rpo. Here's hoping that with a couple more years of practice he can get that ER down to around 3. Nate probably deserves a callup to the national side in the interim, but I can't shake the feeling that international batsmen would have little difficulty in milking him for 4rpo with minimal risk in tests.

Re Crachopa: you can't be too harsh on a 22 year old who's averaging 51 after 2 full seasons in FC cricket (even if most of those runs have been made on the Eden Park Outer Highway and Colin Road Oval). But the exagerrated crouch in his stance and getting bounced onto his arse by Frank the Tank are certainly issues that give one pause for thought.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sodhi's big problem remains his economy rate. His strake rate in FC cricket this season has actually been very good, but he's consistently undermining himself by bowling pies and conceeding 4rpo.
This is the encouraging thing about Sodhi, but then when you look at his action and his run-up in particular, it just doesn't look like the type of action that will ever become consistently capable of not bowling full tosses and long hops. Who knows though, people probably would have said the same about Kumble and he certainly became very accurate.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, why isn't Bates playing for Auckland this week? If Auckland's batsmen require an asterisk next to their figures because of the friendly conditions in which they generally bat, then Bates equally deserves big plaudits for averaging 28 on a roady mcroad. As does CdG for that matter. :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
CdG bowled a ripper to Papps. There were some poor shots in the 6fer, but the Papps ball was genuinely good.

The Gillespie induced collapse doesn't make for good viewing either. Both Kitchen and Munro in particular will feel they didn't do themselves justice the other day.

Flem274*

123/5
@ Bahnz: I wouldn't pick Nathan McCullum unless he changed his MO a lot (and tbf he appears to be trying new things). His batting and fielding would be useful, but he's good in ODIs and T20 because Baz knows he's going to get 10 overs for 40 something because unless NcCullum bowls badly he's hard to take for more.

In tests though I just suspect he would get milked with ease, and he doesn't pass the KW test either. We would get more from an extra pacer or trying to develop a young spinner. I would pick Ajaz Patel and Mark Craig ahead of NcCullum unless he turns a corner with his bowling or becomes a test standard allrounder.

Sodhi is frustrating but I don't think NcCullum has proven himself to be the solution yet.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Re Crachopa: you can't be too harsh on a 22 year old who's averaging 51 after 2 full seasons in FC cricket (even if most of those runs have been made on the Eden Park Outer Highway and Colin Road Oval). But the exagerrated crouch in his stance and getting bounced onto his arse by Frank the Tank are certainly issues that give one pause for thought.
Of all the weaknesses in terms of picking NZ players, short pitched bowling shouldn't be made too much of a big deal. There are other weaknesses that less emphasis is placed on for some reason. Rutherford's "drive/cut anything through the covers", Fulton's "My off stump is a slut", Guptill's "I can't pick length so I just try to play straight to everything", Anderson's lack of off side game etc are more of an issue, IMO.

Picking NZ batsmen, we have to pick guys with some type of weakness. Especially as a backup batsman, if he's going to be a guy who'll feast on slow low wickets, then fine. That's good enough. He doesn't have to be able to deal with Mitchell Johnson's bouncers to play for NZ, basically.

Flem274*

123/5
If you're getting bounced by James Franklin then Tino Best could make you his bitch and Johnson, Morkel, or Broad might kill you.

A weakness is a weakness. Kill it with fire now so when he steps up to test level he can deal with it.

Blocky

Banned
I'm in agreement with both Hendrix and Bahnz about Sodhi but like Hendrix points out and as I wrote a few weeks ago, Sodhi doesn't have the building blocks of an action that is going to allow him to be consistent and means when he gets it wrong, he gets it horribly wrong. He comes over the top far too much and is pushing the ball at the batsman, rather than spinning upwards and flighting it to the batsman, this means that he's not generating anywhere near the amount of spin nor drift, it also means if something goes wrong in the action, he's prone to dragging it downwards where it will sit up nicely to be punished - if he was using a rounder arm action and flighting the ball to the batsman, his bad balls wouldn't sit up so much, he'd generate a lot more revolution on the ball and he'd enable himself to be able to get it above the eyeline of batsman without it being a full toss.

With that in mind, I just don't see why anyone rates his action or potential.

Blocky

Banned
@ Bahnz: I wouldn't pick Nathan McCullum unless he changed his MO a lot (and tbf he appears to be trying new things). His batting and fielding would be useful, but he's good in ODIs and T20 because Baz knows he's going to get 10 overs for 40 something because unless NcCullum bowls badly he's hard to take for more.

In tests though I just suspect he would get milked with ease, and he doesn't pass the KW test either. We would get more from an extra pacer or trying to develop a young spinner. I would pick Ajaz Patel and Mark Craig ahead of NcCullum unless he turns a corner with his bowling or becomes a test standard allrounder.

Sodhi is frustrating but I don't think NcCullum has proven himself to be the solution yet.
I think the point more so is that you should select eleven players who all have a chance of influencing the outcome of the match in the positive. At the moment, Sodhi is not equipped enough as a batsman nor a fielder to offer that sort of utility value to the team that Vettori was able to do on the back of his diminishing returns as a bowler and his bowling is highly unlikely to give NZ a chance to win, it's more likely to let the opposition score some quick pressure free runs.

NcCullum should be no where near test selection but if we continue believing that we MUST have a spinner in our side, I just feel he offers more likelihood of a performance that assists a victory than Sodhi does.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If you're getting bounced by James Franklin then Tino Best could make you his bitch and Johnson, Morkel, or Broad might kill you.

A weakness is a weakness. Kill it with fire now so when he steps up to test level he can deal with it.
well yeah, obviously it's something to work on.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf to N McCullum, looked like he was giving the ball a fair amount of flight against ND and even spun one through the gate to bowl Watling (though Watling would not have been pleased with himself leaving that bat-pad gap). Might qualify as second best finger spinner in the country now - I'm not a big fan of B. Martin and his performances have really tailed off this season, but would have to think Jeets at least is clearly still a better bowler. Have seen too little of Craig and it looks like he was left out of this Otago match for NcCullum and Elbow Beard anyway.

I think all of our mindsets though are that when we get down to talking about selecting a spinner of N McCullum's calibre in tests, we really should be looking at all other options. Otherwise we end up with a worse version of 'spin' 'all-rounders' that aim to bowl lots of overs for few runs like Robin Peterson, Ajay Jadeja (outside SC) and a few others whose names don't spring to mind.

Heh, just saw the highlight of Neesham giving the pitch a real glare after he missed a straight one from Sodhi and was stumped. Outrage.

Blocky

Banned
it was a nice googly. He should consider making it his stock delivery to left handers.
Ironically, his action is perfect for a googly - getting the ball to break towards leg for a right hand is all about pushing the ball on a downward trajectory if you're a right armer, probably why he gets a bit more turn and bounce from his googly because he's not fighting his wrist, he's using it to help his high arm action.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In the course of a discussion about NZ spinners last night, someone suggested that, horses-for-courses, Tastle's bowling is probably the best suited to WI pitch conditions. Doesn't rely on/require bounce like Sodhi does to be effective, and given the general slowness of the pitches his speed through the air probably won't be too much of a mark against him. Coming off the

Plus, as a Tastle fan, I'd love to see him in there.

And, you can open the batting with him and hence not drop Neesham :ph34r: