• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah I honestly think you guys are reading too much into Latham's first test.
It's a common trait though - he goes with hands outside off stump. Not as hard as Rutherford does, but gets fidgety and gets out like he did at the Basin. He'd be well capable of scoring tons like Fulton did on a flat one at Eden Park, and can bat time, so maybe he's as good of a choice as anyone, but I can't see him averaging 30+ over time as an opener until he rectifies this.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Ugh. C'mon ND.

It's of national importance that you give Sodhi some decent 3rd/4th innings bowls....... Please. Every bit of experience is important if national selectors are fast-tracking him. Especially on later season wickets.

Looking like 2 games in a row their batsmen will probably fail to provide that.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
On Latham.

Not sure about hard hands specifically. But his offside play has improved immensely.

I was recently looking at Kippax's video of his 100 v India A from start of last season. The YouTube comments were full of random Kiwi and Indian fans commenting on how leg side dominant he was.

Compare that to boundary compilations of his scores this season which are full of decent drives and cuts. Both feet, both sides if wicket etc ...,,

Flem274*

123/5
Wagner feasting here. So far so good on not allowing bull**** tail wags as well. Bucko Martin and Tarun Nethula ensuring Wagner's effort remains the exception though.

Craig being dropped is a little harsh.

I've just noticed our bowling attack...relying heavily on the spin duo with so many quicks down injured. Today would be a great day for Mathieson to click.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's hard to gauge from his work on FC wickets against FC bowlers, unfortunately. Rutherford's boundary compilation (not this game, clearly) would be similar.

Talking about Son of Rod here.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Todd Astle has bowled more than 50 overs and kept an economy rate under 3, while taking 6 wickets.

His dropping for the Bangladesh tour is looking more and more ridiculous.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
CdG 3/4 from 6.

I love you Wellington.
I love you Colin. Aces leading wicket-taker this season, and throw in 558 runs for good measure.

As much as I'm not from the Blocky school of 'Ish sucks', Astle should really be winter touring based on form and probably ability as of today.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I've been backing Sodhi because I'd like to see him succeed and he seems like he could learn quickly, but going all the way back to his selection over Astle after the NZ A tour of India, it's hard to see that it was justified at all (as everyone observed at the time). Not a bad season for Astle since then - is that 29 wickets at around 35 now (referencing vandem's stats on last page)? It's really hard to see that you could claim any NZ spinner is better than him at present, particularly when Jeets has taken his wickets at 47 this season and appears to have been dropped by Wellington.

Doesn't mean I think we should take both Sodhi and Astle to WI btw - can't make up for a weakness by selecting more options of a similar standard and selectors' faith clearly in Sodhi at present. Just that perhaps Astle's rollers and lower order batting (sub in for Neesham) shouldn't have been dismissed so quickly.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sodhi is on that plane. Astle could take 10/90 and Sodhi would still be on the plane.
They have to, don't they?

Should never have been selected in the first place. He would have been a perfect candidate to play 2-3 years of NZ A cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sodhi is on that plane. Astle could take 10/90 and Sodhi would still be on the plane.
No doubt. You'd hope in 12 months time we'll see pay-off on this faith in Ish. As of today, if I was picking a bowler to win us a Test on the final day in the Windies/sub-continent/wherever, it'd be Astle. But it's not always as simple as that, and a lot of things this management have done have come up trumps, so I'll keep faith in what they're doing

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt. You'd hope in 12 months time we'll see pay-off on this faith in Ish. As of today, if I was picking a bowler to win us a Test on the final day in the Windies/sub-continent/wherever, it'd be Astle. But it's not always as simple as that, and a lot of things this management have done have come up trumps, so I'll keep faith in what they're doing
Yes I share this new and novel feeling that the NZ selectors and the team environment are combining to give our new and existing players a fair chance at success. In tests Anderson, Neesham, now Wagner and even Fulton initially all rewarded the faith that was placed in them. Though of those selected to date, Rutherford and Sodhi are the longest shots and it will be interesting to see how long they are given to make an impact (I'm assuming based on news report hints that it will be Fulton left out of the WI series rather than Rutherford).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Astle now with 31 wickets at 33.5, and the potential for more in the second innings. He really has been the only domestic spinner to play a significant role for his side this season.

Blocky

Banned
Ugh. C'mon ND.

It's of national importance that you give Sodhi some decent 3rd/4th innings bowls....... Please. Every bit of experience is important if national selectors are fast-tracking him. Especially on later season wickets.

Looking like 2 games in a row their batsmen will probably fail to provide that.
Mostly because Sodhi is allowing the opposition to score quick easy runs at a time period they should be under pressure.... funny how that works where one side constantly scores better than the other despite similar records in domestic.

As for Wagner - I get the funny feeling he'll move up in peoples estimations and be seen in the same light as Boult and Southee within two seasons. It looks like he's got rid of the problems in his action that were restricting his pace and movement and he's back to bowling fast swinging deliveries. Good to see Santner gut out an innings while the rest of them falter. I think the kid could be a long term option as an opening bat for NZ if he continues to progress like he has in recent times.